The majority of my teaching duties take place within the Anesthesia service, which provides anesthetic support to the Large Animal Hospital, Small Animal Hospital, and Diagnostic Imaging and Cancer Treatment Center. I lead small group rounds on basic and advanced topics in anesthesia with students and house officers, as well as one-on-one direction in hands-on application and troubleshooting of anesthetized patients of all species. My focus is on the principles of how to anesthetize, maintain and recover animals undergoing diagnostics and surgery for a wide variety of medical conditions. I also teach in related areas such as pain management, acid base balance, and cardiovascular and respiratory physiology. Formal course assignments include lecturing to 2VM and 3VM students, and most recently, serving as course coordinator for our primary anesthesia course (VSCS 930). As a native Spanish speaker, I also enjoyed serving as an instructor in our medical Spanish communication course. All activities listed in this section occur within the CVM at TAMU. All are required courses for the entire DVM class unless listed otherwise.
- M.S. in Veterinary Medicine, Washington State University - (Pullman, Washington, United States) 2006
- Washington State University - (Pullman, Washington, United States), Medical Residency 2006
- D.V.M. in , National University of Costa Rica - (Heredia, Costa Rica) 2000
- Noyes, J. A., Keegan, R. D., Carbonneau, K. J., Lepiz, M. L., Rankin, D. C., & Matthew, S. M. (2020). Evaluating a Multimodal Clinical Anesthesia Course Integrated Into an Existing Veterinary Curriculum.. Simulation in Healthcare The Journal of the Society for Simulation in Healthcare. Publish Ahead of Print,
- Ganugula, R., Arora, M., Lepiz, M. A., Niu, Y., Mallick, B. K., Pflugfelder, S. C., Scott, E. M., & Kumar, M. (2020). Systemic anti-inflammatory therapy aided by double-headed nanoparticles in a canine model of acute intraocular inflammation. SCIENCE ADVANCES. 6(35), eabb7878-eabb7878.
- Padgett, A. L., Lepiz, M. L., Mackay, E. E., Driskill, A. J., Ivanov, I. V., Fajt, V. R., ... Washburn, S. E. (2020). Comparison of analgesic efficacy and fetal effects between transdermal administration of fentanyl and intramuscular administration of buprenorphine in pregnant sheep.. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF VETERINARY RESEARCH. 81(7), 581-593.
- Whitehead, M. C., Hoppes, S. M., Musser, J., Perkins, J. L., & Lepiz, M. L. (2019). The Use of Alfaxalone in Quaker Parrots (Myiopsitta monachus). JOURNAL OF AVIAN MEDICINE AND SURGERY. 33(4), 340-348.
- Hartnack, A., Lepiz, M., Voges, A., Herman, C., Frank-Cannon, T., Rivas, G., & White, J. (2019). Establishing the quadratus lumborum block in goats. Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia. 46(6), 831.e7-831.e7.