Dr. Pierson's areas of research include plant-microbe interactions, biological control, and sustainable agriculture. She also conducts research related to zebra chip disease of potato, microbe-insect interactions, and terrestrial plant ecology. She teaches the undergraduate course Garden Science and the graduate course Plant-associated Microorganisms, which is available to students in three different graduate programs. Dr. Pierson is active in graduate education, currently serving as a member of the Horticultural Sciences Graduate Program Committee and the MEPS admissions committee and as the advisor for the Horticulture Graduate Council. She also serves as a chair or member of graduate research committees and provides undergraduate laboratory research experience.
- Ph.D. in Botany: Ecology, Evolution, Systematics, Washington State University - (Pullman, Washington, United States) 1988
- B.S. in Honors Biology, Indiana University Bloomington - (Bloomington, Indiana, United States) 1982
- Yuan, P., Pan, H., Boak, E. N., Pierson, L. S., & Pierson, E. A. (2020). Phenazine-Producing Rhizobacteria Promote Plant Growth and Reduce Redox and Osmotic Stress in Wheat Seedlings Under Saline Conditions. Frontiers in Plant Science. 11, 575314.
- Tiénébo, E., Harrison, K., Abo, K., Brou, Y. C., Pierson, L. S., Tamborindeguy, C., Pierson, E. A., & Levy, J. G. (2019). Mycorrhization Mitigates Disease Caused by "Candidatus Liberibacter solanacearum" in Tomato.. Plants. 8(11), 507-507.
- Mahmoudi, T. R., Yu, J. M., Liu, S., Pierson, L. S., & Pierson, E. A. (2019). Drought-Stress Tolerance in Wheat Seedlings Conferred by Phenazine-Producing Rhizobacteria. Frontiers in Microbiology. 10(JULY), 1590.
- Jochum, M. D., McWilliams, K. L., Borrego, E. J., Kolomiets, M. V., Niu, G., Pierson, E. A., & Jo, Y. (2019). Bioprospecting Plant Growth-Promoting Rhizobacteria That Mitigate Drought Stress in Grasses. Frontiers in Microbiology. 10, 2106.
- Jochum, M. D., McWilliams, K. L., Pierson, E. A., & Jo, Y. (2019). Host-mediated microbiome engineering (HMME) of drought tolerance in the wheat rhizosphere. PLoS ONE. 14(12), e0225933-e0225933.
- Wang, N., Pierson, E. A., Setubal, J. C., Xu, J., Levy, J. G., Zhang, Y., ... Martins, J. (2017). The Candidatus Liberibacter–Host Interface: Insights into Pathogenesis Mechanisms and Disease Control. Annual Review of Phytopathology. ANNUAL REVIEW OF PHYTOPATHOLOGY, VOL 55. (pp. 1-32). Annual Reviews.
- Pierson, E. A., Wang, D., & Pierson III, L. S. (2013). Roles and Regulation of Phenazines in the Biological Control Strain Pseudomonas chlororaphis 30-84. Microbial Phenazines. (pp. 141-162). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Boak, E., III, P., & Pierson, E. A. (2020). Pseudomonas chlororaphis type VI secretion systems: Roles in rhizosphere dynamics and plant microbe interactions. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 110(7), 12-12.
- Pierson, E. A. (2017). Zebra chip, what we know and where are we headed. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 107(12), 160-160.
- Levy, J. G., Scheuring, D., Koym, J., Ravindran, A., Henne, D., Pierson, E. A., & Miller, C. J. (2014). Time-course of Zebra Chip symptoms in potato tubers and correlation between sprouting and bacterial titer in seed potatoes. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 104(11), 68-68.
- Levy, J. G., Ravindran, A., Gross, D. C., Tamborindeguy, C., & Pierson, E. A. (2013). Advances in the detection of 'Candidatus Liberibacter solanacearum', the causative agent of potato zebra chip disease. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 103(6), 79-79.
- Yu, J. M., Levy, J. G., Wang, D., Pierson, L. S., & Pierson, E. A. (2013). Characterizing the promoter of the phenazine biosynthesis operon in the biological control strain Pseudomonas chlororaphis 30-84. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 103(6), 165-165.
- Tienebo, Eric-Olivier (2016-08). Effect of Inoculation of Pseudomonas Chlororaphis 30-84 and / or Rhizophagus Irregularis DAOM 197198 on Maize Anthracnose Leaf Blight and Tomato Zebra Chip Disease. (Master's Thesis)
- Yu, Jun Myoung (2016-05). Regulation and Ecological Roles of Phenazine Biosynthesis in the Biological Control Strain Pseudomonas Chlororaphis 30-84. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Thinakaran, Jenita (2014-05). Evaluation of Potato Psyllid, Bactericera Cockerelli (Sulc) (Hemiptera: Triozidae), Host Preferences, Adaptation, Behavior, and Transmission of 'Candidatus Liberibacter Solanacearum' among Wild and Cultivated Solanaceous Hosts in the Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Yang, Yan (2014-05). The Function of the acr Genes in Phenazine Regulation and Transport in the Biological Control Strain Pseudomonas Chlororaphis 30-84. (Master's Thesis)