- Faculty Fellow, Center for Health Systems and Design, College of Architecture
- Director, Geochemical and Environmental Research Group, College of Geosciences, Texas A&M University
- Faculty Affiliate, Energy Institute, Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES), Division of Research
- Professor, Oceanography, College of Geosciences
Dr. Knap's primary research focuses include oceanography, organic geochemistry, environmental science, atmosphere/ocean interactions, oil pollution and dispersant use, and effects of contaminants on the marine environment. Global climate change is another area of interest, particularly climate instability, business/science interactions, renewable energy, marine derived bio-fuels, ocean genomics, ocean acidification. He was Founder and Principal Investigator of the NSF-funded Bermuda Atlantic Time-series Study (BATS) off Bermuda. He was also the Principal Investigator for 30 years of Hydrostation S, founded in 1954 and the longest continuous time-series in the Ocean, also funded by NSF. He most recently was appointed to the Gulf Research Board of the US National Academy of Sciences.
- Shi, D., Bera, G., Knap, A. H., Quigg, A., Al Atwah, I., Gold-Bouchot, G., & Wade, T. L. (2020). A mesocosm experiment to determine half-lives of individual hydrocarbons in simulated oil spill scenarios with and without the dispersant, Corexit.. Mar Pollut Bull. 151, 110804-110804.
- Bera, G., Doyle, S., Passow, U., Kamalanathan, M., Wade, T. L., Sylvan, J. B., ... Knap, A. H. (2020). Biological response to dissolved versus dispersed oil.. Mar Pollut Bull. 150, 110713-110713.
- Morales-McDevitt, M. E., Shi, D., Knap, A. H., Quigg, A., Sweet, S. T., Sericano, J. L., & Wade, T. L. (2020). Mesocosm experiments to better understand hydrocarbon half-lives for oil and oil dispersant mixtures.. PLoS One. 15(1), e0228554-e0228554.
- Bera, G., Camargo, K., Sericano, J. L., Liu, Y., Sweet, S. T., Horney, J., ... Knap, A. H. (2019). Baseline data for distribution of contaminants by natural disasters: results from a residential Houston neighborhood during Hurricane Harvey flooding.. Heliyon. 5(11), e02860-e02860.
- Xu, C., Lin, P., Zhang, S., Sun, L., Xing, W., Schwehr, K. A., ... Santschi, P. H. (2019). The interplay of extracellular polymeric substances and oil/Corexit to affect the petroleum incorporation into sinking marine oil snow in four mesocosms.. Sci Total Environ. 693, 133626-133626.
- DiMarco, S. F., & Knap, A. H. (2018). Coastal Ocean Observing Systems for the 21st Century. Advances in Coastal Hydraulics. 111-143. World Scientific.
- Muir-Wood, R., & Grossi, P. (2008). The catastrophe modeling response to Hurricane Katrina. Diaz, H. F., & Murnane, R. J. (Eds.), Climate Extremes and Society. 296-319. Cambridge University Press.
- Michaels, A. F., Olson, D., Sarmiento, J. L., Ammerman, J. W., Fanning, K., Jahnke, R., ... Prospero, J. M. (1996). Inputs, losses and transformations of nitrogen and phosphorus in the pelagic North Atlantic Ocean. Nitrogen Cycling in the North Atlantic Ocean and its Watersheds. 181-226. Springer Netherlands.
- Diamant, R., Knapr, A., Dahan, S., Mardix, I., Walpert, J., & DiMarco, S. (2018). THEMO: The Texas A&M ‐ University of Haifa ‐ Eastern Mediterranean Observatory. 2018 OCEANS - MTS/IEEE Kobe Techno-Oceans (OTO), 2018 OCEANS - MTS/IEEE Kobe Techno-Ocean (OTO). 00, 1-5.
- Al-Atwah, I., Alshaikh, M., Sweet, S. T., Knap, A., & Hascakir, B. (2018). Extension of Existing Screening Criteria Tables for Thermal Enhanced Oil Recovery Methods Through Compositional Analyses of Heavy Oils. SPE Western Regional Meeting, SPE Western Regional Meeting. 2018-April,
- Zarate, L., DiMarco, S. F., Knap, A., Walpert, J., & Whilden, K. A. (2016). A high-frequency radar oceanic current monitoring system for the Texas coast. OCEANS 2016 MTS/IEEE Monterey, OCEANS 2016 MTS/IEEE Monterey. 1-7.
- Perry, R. L., Dimarco, S. F., Walpert, J., Guinasso, N. L., & Knap, A. (2013). Glider operations in the northwestern Gulf of Mexico: The design and implementation of a glider network at Texas A&M University. OCEANS 2013 MTS/IEEE - San Diego: An Ocean in Common.
- Knap, A. H., Sleeter, T. D., & Hughes, I. W. (2005). Case history: The grounding of the M/T Tifoso, 1983 A test of Bermuda's contingency plan. 2005 International Oil Spill Conference, IOSC 2005. 913.