Andre Thomas' passion for game-based learning resonates inside and outside of the classroom. A graduate of LCAD MFA in Game Design, he founded and serves as the director of the LIVE Lab [ http://live.viz.tamu.edu/ ] in the Department of Visualization at Texas A&M University, where he also teaches game design, game development and interactive graphics techniques. In 2014, he founded Triseum, where he serves as CEO and leads the creation of its award winning academic video games. He is an EdTech Leadership award winner, National Academy of Sciences advisory board member, and National Arts Education Association lead instructor, and Chillennium Game Jam chair. Andre also has been invited to speak at numerous education and technology events both in the U.S. and abroad, including SXSW, TEDx, ASU-GSV, BETT, Chinese Academy of Fine Arts, Austrian Ministry of Education and European Schoolnet. His game-based learning insights and ideas are featured in the Huffington Post, Austin Business Journal, eCampus News and Learning Solutions Magazine, to name a few.
With more than 20 years in CGI production, Andre has worked around the world on legendary video games, live action feature films and memorable commercials. Previously he was Head of Graphics for EA Sports Football games (including NCAA, Head Coach, NFL Tour and Madden, the longest running and most successful sports franchise in games industry). He also created graphics for such notable films as Men in Black, Con Air, Independence Day, Valiant, Ant Bully and Tomorrow Never Dies.
Through the LIVE lab Andre designed, developed and released 4 game-based learning experiences that are being used in universities across the US and Europe.
- Lafayette, C., Thomas, A., Mitchell, S., & Perumal, F. (2018). Interactive Conference Roster. Collaborations of Consequence NAKFIâ¬"s 15 Years Igniting Innovation at the Intersections of Disciplines. 407-407. National Academies Press.
- Avci, H., Pedersen, S., & Thomas, A. (2020). Writing a Formal Analysis of Art in a Game-Based Learning Environment. 669-671.
- Weng, W., Ramadan, H., & Thomas, A. (2020). Understanding Enjoyment in ARTé: Mecenas with EGameFlow. 2020 IEEE CONFERENCE ON GAMES (IEEE COG 2020). 00, 752-755.
- Weng, W., Thomas, A., & Ramadan, H. (2020). Work-in-Progress—Using Bloom’s Taxonomy and Balanced Design in ARTé: Mecenas. 00, 340-343.
- Thomas, A., Weng, W., Muenzenberger, A., & Ramadan, H. (2019). Game-Based Course Design: A new Approach for Effective Online Teaching. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 13TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON GAME BASED LEARNING (ECGBL 2019). 85-747.
- Lygkiaris, M. M., Bersimis, F. G., & Thomas, A. (2018). ARTé Mecenas: In the Shoes of a Medici. ADVANCES IN HUMAN FACTORS IN TRAINING, EDUCATION, AND LEARNING SCIENCES, AHFE 2017. 725, 281-293.
Institutional Repository Documents3
- Thomas, A., Ramadan, H., Campana, L., Leiderman, D., Sutherland, S., & Zawadzki, M. (2018). ARTé: Lumiere.
- Thomas, A., Lima-Filho, P., Pederson, S., Ramadan, H., & Bologan, A. (2017). Variant: Limits.
- Thomas, A., Bologan, A., Carruthers, S., Finch, S., Pedersen, S., Spurgeon, J. L., & Stoenescu, L. (2016). ARTé: Mecenas.
- Thomas, A. (2021). 5 reasons video games should be more widely used in school. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Thomas, A. (2021). 5 ways to break into the video game industry.
- Texas A&M Foundation Hosts Second Annual Exploration Day Texas A&M Today March 6, 2020
- Texas A&M Brings Gaming to Art History Campus Technology March 10, 2017
- Triseum Signs Three-Year Agreement With Texas A&M Department of Visualization for Game Based Learning Money News March 10, 2017
- Triseum Signs Three-Year Agreement With Texas A&M Department of Visualization for Game Based Learning Digital Game Developer March 10, 2017
- Design meets calculus in new game The Battalion (TAMU) March 7, 2017
- TOP Grant awarded by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2015 - 2016
- Enhancing Undergraduate Curriculum Technology grant awarded by Texas A&M University 2014 - 2015
- Game Academy Award conferred by China Central Academy of Fine Arts - (Beijing, China) 2018
- CODiE Award conferred by Software Information Industry Association (SIIA) - (Washington D.C., United States) - Finalist for Best Mathematics Instructional Solution 2017