My overall goal is the improvement of economic and environmental sustainability through the use of alternative practices, specifically the integration of legumes or agricultural co-products, into agricultural systems. Experiments are designed to evaluate alternatives which will improve the resource use efficiency of water, nutrients, and other management inputs while maintaining crop or livestock productivity. Alternative practices include novel forages or crops, agronomic management, soil amendments, or tillage. Primary focus is on warm-season legumes and their inclusion into warm-season based cropping systems and pastures for crop and livestock production and biofuels in the southern United States. Co-products, including microalgae, macroalgae, and other bioenergy waste, have great potential as soil amendments and animal feeds which enhance resource use efficiency. Improvement of sustainability and resource use efficiency are cross-cutting issues which are international in scope.
- Ph.D. in Animal Science, University of Florida - (Gainesville, Florida, United States) 2008
- M.S. in Agronomy, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2004
- B.S. in Animal Science, Tarleton State University - (Stephenville, Texas, United States) 2002
- Norris, A. B., Crossland, W. L., Tedeschi, L. O., Foster, J. L., Muir, J. P., Pinchak, W. E., & Fonseca, M. A. (2020). Inclusion of quebracho tannin extract in a high-roughage cattle diet alters digestibility, nitrogen balance, and energy partitioning.. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 98(3),
- Norris, A. B., Tedeschi, L. O., Foster, J. L., Muir, J. P., Pinchak, W. E., & Fonseca, M. A. (2020). AFST: Influence of quebracho tannin extract fed at differing rates within a high-roughage diet on the apparent digestibility of dry matter and fiber, nitrogen balance, and fecal gas flux. Animal Feed Science and Technology. 260, 114365-114365.
- Xu, Y., Porter, N., Foster, J. L., Muir, J. P., Schwab, P., Burson, B. L., & Jessup, R. W. (2020). Silica Production across Candidate Lignocellulosic Biorefinery Feedstocks. AGRONOMY-BASEL. 10(1), 82-82.
- Foster, J. L., Thomas-Moen, M. E., McCuistion, K. C., Redmon, L. A., & Jessup, R. W. (2019). Potential of Ensiling Sorghum without Grain Pretreated with Enzymes or Bacterial Inoculants. CROP SCIENCE. 59(5), 2258-2263.
- Lewis, K. L., Foster, J. L., & Hons, F. M. (2019). Lipid-Extracted Algae as a Soil Amendment Can Increase Soil Salinization and Reduce Forage Growth. SUSTAINABILITY. 11(7), 1946-1946.
- Norris, A. B., Tedeschi, L. O., Foster, J. L., Muir, J. P., & Pinchak, B. E. (2019). Effects of feeding different levels of quebracho (Schinopsis balansae) extract in a high-roughage total mixed ration on seasonal manure gas emissions. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 97, 93-94.
- Norris, A. B., Crossland, W. L., Tedeschi, L. O., Foster, J. L., Muir, J. P., & Pinchak, W. (2019). Influence of quebracho (Schinopsis balansae) tannin extract fed at differing rates in a high-roughage diet on energy partitioning in beef steers. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 97, 391-391.
- Norris, A. B., Tedeschi, L. O., Casey, K. D., Jr, D., Foster, J. L., Muir, J. P., & Pinchak, W. E. (2018). Effects of Feeding Different Levels of Quebracho (Schinopsis balansae) Extract in a High-Roughage Total Mixed Ration on Manure Gas Emissions.. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 96(suppl_1), 19-20.
- Norris, A. B., Crossland, W. L., Foster, J. L., Muir, J. P., & Tedeschi, L. O. (2017). Differences in digestive kinetics and methane production among rhizoma peanut (Arachis glabrata Benth.) cultivars.. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 95(suppl_4), 138-138.
- Solis, J. I., Foster, J. L., Loest, C. A., Martinez, J. J., Sastre, L. P., & Bell, N. L. (2017). Effect of monensin and protein supplementation on in situ degradability of low-quality forage fed to cattle.. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 95(suppl_4), 62-62.
- Bean, Matthew Ethan (2016-08). Comparison of Two Tillage Practices on a Semi-Arid Rotational Cropping System. (Master's Thesis)
- Lewis, Katie (2014-12). Soil and Plant Responses to Lipid-Extracted Algae. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Noland, Reagan Lee (2014-05). Integrating Cover Crops into Strip-Till Cropping Systems in a Semi-Arid Environment. (Master's Thesis)
- Thomas, Martha 1980- (2013-05). Application of Fibrolytic Enzymes and Bacterial Inoculants to Sorghum Silage and Small-Grain Hay. (Doctoral Dissertation)