We combine approaches in molecular genetics, structural biology, biochemistry, proteomics, and bioinformatics to study the amazing RNA biology of trypanosome parasites. One research line is on an RNA editing process by uridine insertion and deletion that creates amino acid coding triplets in most mRNAs. Yet a single error in the U-changes yields a frame-shift. Trypanosomes split from other eukaryotic lineages over a hundred million years ago, yet this editing has analogies with RNAi, CRISPR/Cas9, mRNA splicing and other systems directed by small non-coding RNAs (ncRNAs).
- Chenna, B. C., Li, L., Mellott, D. M., Zhai, X., Siqueira-Neto, J. L., Calvet Alvarez, C., ... Meek, T. D. (2020). Peptidomimetic Vinyl Heterocyclic Inhibitors of Cruzain Effect Antitrypanosomal Activity.. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 63(6), 3298-3316.
- Aphasizheva, I., Alfonzo, J., Carnes, J., Cestari, I., Cruz-Reyes, J., Göringer, H. U., ... Aphasizhev, R. (2020). Lexis and Grammar of Mitochondrial RNA Processing in Trypanosomes. Trends in Parasitology. 36(4), 337-355.
- Kumar, V., Doharey, P. K., Gulati, S., Meehan, J., Martinez, M. G., Hughes, K., Mooers, B., & Cruz-Reyes, J. (2019). Protein features for assembly of the RNA editing helicase 2 subcomplex (REH2C) in Trypanosome holo-editosomes. PLoS ONE. 14(4), e0211525-e0211525.
- Kumar, V., Doharey, P., Gulati, S., Meehan, J., Martinez, M., Hughes, K., Mooers, B., & Cruz-Reyes, J. (2019). Protein features for assembly of the RNA editing helicase 2 subcomplex (REH2C) in Trypanosome holo-editosomes.
- Cruz‐Reyes, J., Mooers, B., Doharey, P. K., Meehan, J., & Gulati, S. (2018). Dynamic RNA holo‐editosomes with subcomplex variants: Insights into the control of trypanosome editing. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews - RNA. 9(6), e1502-e1502.
- Cruz‐Reyes, J., & Hernandez, A. (2008). Protein–Protein and RNA–Protein Interactions in U‐Insertion/Deletion RNA Editing Complexes. RNA and DNA Editing. (pp. 71-98). John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
- Spice, W. M., Cruz-Reyes, J. A., & Ackers, J. P. (1992). Entamoeba histolytica. Molecular and Cell Biology of Human Diseases Series. Molecular and Cell Biology of Opportunistic Infections in AIDS. (pp. 95-137). Springer Netherlands.
- Collaborative Research: RNA processing in trypanosomes mitochondria awarded by National Science Foundation 2016 - 2020
- Kumar, Vikas (2016-05). The Function of a Central RNA Helicase RNP in Editosomes of Trypanosomes. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hernandez, Alfredo J. (2010-12). RNA Editing in Trypanosomes: Substrate Recognition and its Integration to RNA Metabolism. (Doctoral Dissertation)