- Associate Professor and Associate Department Head, Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
My Comparative Immunogenetics Laboratory studies immunology, molecular genetics and evolution. Most of our group's research focuses on the natural history and future application of the vertebrate adaptive immune system, with particular attention given to the genetics of lymphocyte antigen receptors. Particular expertise lies in the evolution of vertebrate immunoglobulin loci, T cell receptor loci and the major histocompatibility complex. Additionally, we are interested in the evolution of diversification mechanisms at work there (e.g., recombination activating genes (RAG), activation-induced cytidine deaminase (AID), and the high allelic polymorphism maintained by classical MHC genes). Most recently, we have been working on lymphocyte development in shark thymus that suggests plasticity across the B lymphocyte/T lymphocyte divide, immunoglobulin heavy and light chain isotype pairing in an amphibian system, immunogenetics in marine mammals of conservation importance, mucosal humoral immunity in diverse tetrapods and cattle antibodies with an unheralded domain extending for novel antigen binding possibilities.
- Ph.D. in Microbiology and Immunology, University of Miami - (Coral Gables, Florida, United States) 2003
- M.S. in Molecular Biology, East Carolina University - (Greenville, North Carolina, United States) 1997
- B.S. in Biology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - (Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States) 1993
- Criscitiello, M. F., Kraev, I., Petersen, L. H., & Lange, S. (2020). Deimination Protein Profiles in Alligator mississippiensis Reveal Plasma and Extracellular Vesicle-Specific Signatures Relating to Immunity, Metabolic Function, and Gene Regulation. Frontiers in Immunology. 11, 651.
- Salazar-Medina, A. J., Velazquez-Contreras, E. F., Sugich-Miranda, R., Santacruz, H., Navarro, R. E., Rocha-Alonzo, F., ... Criscitiello, M. F. (2020). Immune response of human cultured cells towards macrocyclic Fe2PO and Fe2PC bioactive cyclophane complexes. PeerJ. 8, e8956-e8956.
- Ott, J. A., Harrison, J., Flajnik, M. F., & Criscitiello, M. F. (2020). Nurse Shark T Cell Receptors Employ Somatic Hypermutation Preferentially to Alter Alpha/Delta Variable Segments Associated with Alpha Constant Region. European Journal of Immunology.
- Criscitiello, M. F., Kraev, I., & Lange, S. (2020). Post-Translational Protein Deimination Signatures in Serum and Serum-Extracellular Vesicles of Bos taurus Reveal Immune, Anti-Pathogenic, Anti-Viral, Metabolic and Cancer-Related Pathways for Deimination. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 21(8), 2861-2861.
- Moreno-Córdova, E. N., Islas-Osuna, M. A., Contreras-Vergara, C. A., López-Zavala, A. A., Ruiz-Bustos, E., Reséndiz-Sandoval, M. G., ... Arvizu-Flores, A. A. (2020). Molecular characterization and expression analysis of the chicken-type and goose-type lysozymes from totoaba (Totoaba macdonaldi). DEVELOPMENTAL AND COMPARATIVE IMMUNOLOGY. 103807-103807.
- Ott, J. A., Harrison, J., Ota, Y., Flajnik, M. F., & Criscitiello, M. F. (2019). Somatic hypermutation of T cell receptor gamma, delta, and beta chains in nurse sharks. JOURNAL OF IMMUNOLOGY. 202(1),
- Ott, J. A., Castro, C., Deiss, T., Ota, Y., Flajnik, M. F., & Criscitiello, M. F. (2018). Somatic hypermutation of TCR alpha contributes to thymic positive selection in sharks. JOURNAL OF IMMUNOLOGY. 200(1),
- Breaux, B. L., Hunter, M. E., Cruz-Schneider, M. P., Sena, L., Bonde, R. K., & Criscitiello, M. F. (2018). The Florida manatee (Trichechus manatus latirostris) T cell receptor loci exhibit V segment locus synteny and chain-specific evolution. JOURNAL OF IMMUNOLOGY. 200(1),
- Young, M., Li, E. S., Branham, E., Browne, Z., Koufteros, C. A., Pham, S., ... Criscitiello, M. F. (2016). Investigating distinct immunization routes in zebrafish on mucosal immunity. JOURNAL OF IMMUNOLOGY. 196,
- Ghaffari, N., Arshad, O. A., Jeong, H., Thiltges, J., Criscitiello, M. F., Yoon, B., Datta, A., & Johnson, C. D. (2014). De Novo Transcriptome Assemblies and Annotation for Pacific Whiteleg Shrimp. 1342-1343.
- Evolution of Immune Loci Critical in Antigen Recognition awarded by National Science Foundation 2013 - 2017
- Seelye, Stacie Lynn (2016-05). Genomic Organization of Zebrafish (Danio rerio) T Cell Receptor ?/? Locus and Analysis of Expressed Products. (Master's Thesis)
- Jacobs, Natalie Jo (2015-12). Why Maintain Light Chain Isotypes? The Influence of Heavy Chain Isotype and Complementary Determining Region Lengths upon Light Chain Isotype in Xenopus laevis. (Master's Thesis)
- Mashoof, Sara (2014-05). Evolution of Mucosal Immunoglobulins: Xenopus Laevis IgX and Thunnus Orientalis IgZ/T. (Doctoral Dissertation)