The goals of my lab are to understand the role of mechanical forces in vascular growth and remodeling processes. Cells within the blood vessel wall are exposed to numerous mechanical forces including fluid shear stress, circumferential wall stress, and axial stress as part of their normal environment and alterations in these parameters plays important roles in the development and progression of vascular pathologies such as atherosclerosis, hypertension and aneurysms. Our experiments are focused on how understanding how vascular smooth muscle cells sense changes in the mechanical environment and how this leads to changes in gene expression and cellular phenotype.
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Emory University - (Atlanta, Georgia, United States) 1987
- M.S. in Biochemistry, Utah State University - (Logan, Utah, United States) 1984
- B.S. in Biology, Utah State University - (Logan, Utah, United States) 1980
- Seawright, J. W., Trache, A., Wilson, E., & Woodman, C. R. (2016). Short-duration increases in intraluminal pressure improve vasoconstrictor responses in aged skeletal muscle feed arteries. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSIOLOGY. 116(5), 931-937.
- Dongaonkar, R. M., Nguyen, T. L., Quick, C. M., Heaps, C. L., Hardy, J., Laine, G. A., Wilson, E., & Stewart, R. H. (2015). Mesenteric lymphatic vessels adapt to mesenteric venous hypertension by becoming weaker pumps. AJP Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 308(5), r391-r399.
- Quick, C. M., Criscione, J. C., Kotiya, A., Dongaonkar, R. M., Hardy, J., Wilson, E., ... Stewart, R. H. (2014). Functional adaptation of bovine mesenteric lymphatic vessels to mesenteric venous hypertension. AJP Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 306(12), r901-r907.
- Howell, D. W., Popovic, N., Metz, R. P., & Wilson, E. (2014). Regional changes in elastic fiber organization and transforming growth factor β signaling in aortas from a mouse model of marfan syndrome. Zeitschrift fr Zellforschung und Mikroskopische Anatomie. 358(3), 807-819.
- Dongaonkar, R. M., Nguyen, T. L., Quick, C. M., Hardy, J., Laine, G. A., Wilson, E., & Stewart, R. H. (2013). Adaptation of mesenteric lymphatic vessels to prolonged changes in transmural pressure. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSIOLOGY-HEART AND CIRCULATORY PHYSIOLOGY. 305(2), h203-h210.
- Wilson, E. (2018). Mechanical Forces and Vascular Injury☆. Comprehensive Toxicology. (pp. 282-296). Elsevier.
- Popovic, N., & Wilson, E. (2010). Cell Surface Receptors. Comprehensive Toxicology: Second Edition. (pp. 81-91). Elsevier.
- Wilson, E. (2010). Mechanical Forces and Vascular Injury. Comprehensive Toxicology, Second Edition. (pp. 275-289). Elsevier.
- Gleason, R. L., Wilson, E., & Humphrey, J. D. (2006). Complementary Roles of Theoretical Modeling and Computer-controlled Experimentation in Vascular Growth and Remodeling. Mechanics of Biological Tissue. (pp. 17-28). Springer-Verlag.
- Gleason, R. L., Wilson, E., & Humphrey, J. D. (2005). Bi-axial biomechanical behavior of mouse carotid arteries in culture in response to altered axial stretch. 2005, 1042-1043.
- Wilson, E., Vives, F., Collins, T., & Ives, H. E. (1998). Strain-responsive regions in the platelet-derived growth factor-A gene promoter. HYPERTENSION. 31(1 II SUPPL.), 170-175.
- Haiech, J., Kilhoffer, M., Craig, T. A., Lukas, T. J., Wilson, E., Guerra-Santos, L., & Watterson, D. M. (1990). Mutant Analysis Approaches to Understanding Calcium Signal Transduction Through Calmodulin and Calmodulin Regulated Enzymes. MATHEMATICAL MODELLING IN EXPERIMENTAL NUTRITION. 269, 43-56.
- Taucer, Anne Irene (2006-12). Biomechanics of common carotid arteries from mice heterozygous for mgR, the most common mouse model of Marfan syndrome. (Master's Thesis)
- Jones, Sarah Anne Louise (2003-08). Differential expressions of cell cycle regulatory proteins and ERK1/2 characterize the proliferative smooth muscle cell phenotype induced by allylamine. (Doctoral Dissertation)