Over 17 years of research experience in the general areas of pharmaceutical sciences and drug delivery systems, with special expertise in the area of formulation design and process development. Research areas are: 1) formulation and process design of complex drug delivery systems (such as liposomes, nanoparticles, transdermal, implant, emulsions, microspheres, pediatric etc.); 2) improving drug product quality as well as process understanding through Quality by Design (QbD) approach and Process Analytical Technologies (PAT); 3) development of in vitro release performance tests for traditional (tablets, capsules, gels, emulsions) as well as complex drug delivery systems (microspheres, liposomes, nanoparticles, transdermal, implant, emulsions, ointments, creams, etc.); 4) evaluation of bio-equivalence of complex drug dosage forms; 5) design and evaluation of abuse deterrent formulations (ADF) for opioid analgesics, 6) 3-dimensional printing of various dosage forms for pharmaceutical application, 7) continuous manufacturing of pharmaceutical dosage forms and 8) univariate and multivariate models (chemometrics, mega-data analysis) development for various phases (polymorphs, amorphous, solvates, salt or base) quantification in the drug products. Other areas of intense research interest include protein and peptide delivery using polymeric materials in formulation design and risk analysis.
- Khuroo, T., Mohamed, E. M., Dharani, S., Afrooz, H., Barakh Ali, S. F., Cook, P., Khan, M. A., & Rahman, Z. (2021). Coating characterization by hyperspectroscopy and predictive dissolution models of tablets coated with blends of cellulose acetate and cellulose acetate phthalate.. AAPS PharmSciTech. 22(3), 122.
- Hamed, R., Mohamed, E. M., Rahman, Z., & Khan, M. A. (2021). 3D-printing of lopinavir printlets by selective laser sintering and quantification of crystalline fraction by XRPD-chemometric models.. Int J Pharm. 120059.
- Hamed, R., Mohamed, E. M., Sediri, K., Khan, M. A., & Rahman, Z. (2021). Development of stable amorphous solid dispersion and quantification of crystalline fraction of lopinavir by spectroscopic-chemometric methods.. Int J Pharm. 120657.
- Rahman, Z., Dharani, S., Khuroo, T., & Khan, M. A. (2021). Potential Application of USP Paddle and Basket Dissolution Methods in Discriminating for Portioned Moist Snuff and Snus Smokeless Tobacco Products.. AAPS PharmSciTech. (1),
- Afrooz, H., Mohamed, E. M., Barakh Ali, S. F., Dharani, S., Nutan, M., Khan, M. A., & Rahman, Z. (2021). Salt Engineering of Aripiprazole with Polycarboxylic Acids to Improve Physicochemical Properties.. AAPS PharmSciTech. (1),
- Rahman, Z., Charoo, N. A., Akhter, S., Beg, S., Reddy, I. K., & Khan, M. A. (2018). Nanotechnology-based drug products: Science and regulatory considerations. Grumezescu, A. M. (Eds.), Nanoscale Fabrication, Optimization, Scale-Up and Biological Aspects of Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology. 619-655. William Andrew Publishing.
- Ahmad, M. Z., Akhter, S., Rahman, Z., Ahmad, J., Ahmad, I., & Ahmad, F. J. (2014). Nanomedicine Based Drug Targeting in Alzheimers Disease: High Impact of Small Carter. Frontiers in Medicinal Chemistry. Drug Design and Discovery in Alzheimer's Disease. 716-739. Elsevier.
- Ahmad, F. J., Akhter, S., Mohammad Zaki Ahmad, .., Ramazani, F., Samim, M., Musarrat Husain Warsi, .., Anwar, M., & Rahman, Z. (2013). Chitin and Chitosan Derivatives. Kim, S. (Eds.), Chitin and Chitosan Derivatives: Advances in Drug Discovery and Developments. 336-347. CRC Press.
- Rahman, Z., Zidan, A., & Khan, M. A. (2013). Tacrolimus properties and formulations: Potential impact of product quality on safety and efficacy. Tacrolimus: Effectiveness, Safety and Drug Interactions. 1-39.
- Zidan, A. S., Rahman, Z., & Khan, M. A. (2011). Product and process understanding of a novel pediatric anti-HIV tenofovir niosomes with a high-pressure homogenizer.. Eur J Pharm Sci. 44(1-2), 93-102.