John Schuessler is Associate Professor in the Department of International Affairs and Co-Director of the Albritton Center for Grand Strategy at the Bush School of Government and Public Service, Texas A&M University. Previously, he taught at the Air War College. Schuessler received his PhD in political science from the University of Chicago. He has been published in International Security, International Studies Review, Perspectives on Politics, St. Antony's International Review, Strategic Studies Quarterly, and White House Studies. He is the author of Deceit on the Road to War: Presidents, Politics, and American Democracy (Cornell University Press, 2015). He has been Chair of the Foreign Policy Section of the American Political Association. His primary interests include democracy and war as well as American grand strategy.
- Ph.D. in Political Science, University of Chicago - (Chicago, Illinois, United States) 2007
- M.A. in International Relations, University of Chicago - (Chicago, Illinois, United States) 2000
- B.A. in Government/International Relations, University of Notre Dame - (Notre Dame, Indiana, United States) 1999
- Schuessler, J., & Shifrinson, J (2019). The Shadow of Exit from NATO. Strategic Studies Quarterly. 13(3), 38-51.
- Schuessler, J (2019). Democracy, War, and American Grand Strategy. Texas National Security Review.
- Schuessler, J., & Shifrinson, J (2018). Making Grand Strategy Grand Again. The National Interest.
- Schuessler, J (2017). David A. Baldwin : Power and International Relations: A Conceptual Approach. (Princeton and Oxford: Princeton University Press, 2016. Pp. ix, 223.). The Review of Politics. 79(4), 743-745.
- Schuessler, J. M (2015). Review of Christopher J. Fettweis, The Pathologies of Power: Fear, Honor, Glory and Hubris in U.S. Foreign Policy. H-Diplo/ISSF Roundtable. 7(14), 13-17.
- Schuessler, J. M (2015). Deceit on the road to war: Presidents, politics, and american democracy.
- Schuessler, J. M (2015). Presidents, Politics, and American Democracy. Cornell University Press.
- Schuessler, J (2018). Why Does Donald Trump Have So Much Trouble with the Truth?. Jervis, R. L., Gavin, F., Rovner, J., & Labrosse, D. (Eds.), Chaos in the Liberal Order The Trump Presidency and International Politics in the Twenty-first Century. 373-379. Columbia University Press.
- Schuessler, J. M (2010). Absorbing the first blow: Truman and the cold war. Presidents and War. 181-196.