I am a professor of Landscape Architecture & Urban Planning at the Texas A&M University. I have the privilege of working with a lot of bright and talented students. Through our studies we've come to understand the atmospheric environment in new and often surprising ways. We study how elements in the landscape modify the different components of the microclimate, and how the microclimate affects the thermal comfort of people. By integrating these landscape architects can design environments that modify the microclimate to create thermally comfortable outdoor environments. This is particularly important in the context of global climate change and intensification of urban heat islands.
- Ph.D. in Micrometeorology, University of Guelph - (Guelph, Ontario, Canada) 1985
- M.L.A. in , University of Guelph - (Guelph, Ontario, Canada) 1982
- B.S. in Geography, University of Saskatchewan - (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada) 1979
- Liu, Z., Brown, R. D., Zheng, S., Jiang, Y. i., & Zhao, L. (2020). An In-Depth Analysis of the Effect of Trees on Human Energy Fluxes. URBAN FORESTRY & URBAN GREENING. 50, 126646-126646.
- Brown, R. D., Tasnum, T., & Kim, Y. (2020). Assessing U.S. Landscape Architecture Faculty Research Contribution. LAND. 9(3), 64-64.
- Brown, R. D., & Corry, R. C. (2020). Evidence-Based Landscape Architecture for Human Health and Well-Being. SUSTAINABILITY. 12(4), 1360-1360.
- Cheng, W., Spengler, J. O., & Brown, R. D. (2020). A Comprehensive Model for Estimating Heat Vulnerability of Young Athletes. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 17(17), 6156-6156.
- Cheng, W., & Brown, R. D. (2020). An energy budget model for estimating the thermal comfort of children. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF BIOMETEOROLOGY. 64(8), 1355-1366.
- Brown, R. D., Lafortezza, R., Corry, R. C., Leal, D. B., & Sanesi, G. (2007). Cultural patterns as a component of environmental planning and design. Landscape Ecological Applications in Man-Influenced Areas: Linking Man and Nature Systems. (pp. 395-415).
- Seguchi, R., Brown, R. D., & Takeuchi, K. (2007). Land use change from traditional to modern eras: Saitama prefecture, Japan. Landscape Ecological Applications in Man-Influenced Areas: Linking Man and Nature Systems. (pp. 113-128).
- Rodiek, S. (2006). The Role of the Outdoors in Residential Environments for Aging. The Role of the Outdoors in Residential Environments for Aging. (pp. 187-202). Routledge.
- Lafortezza, R., Corry, R. C., Sanesi, G., & Brown, R. D. (2008). Cultural Determinants of Spatial Heterogeneity in Forest Landscapes. 17-32.
- Lafortezza, R., Corry, R. C., Sanesi, G., & Brown, R. D. (2005). Quantitative approaches to landscape spatial planning: clues from landscape ecology. WIT Transactions on Ecology and the Environment. 84, 239-250.
- Lafortezza, R., Sanesi, G., Pace, B., Corry, R. C., & Brown, R. D. (2004). Planning for the rehabilitation of brownfield sites: a landscape ecological perspective. 21-30.