We study various processes which involve electrons being scattered by or ejected from molecules. These processes include ectron-molecule collision, electron impact ionization, and photoionization. Recently we have worked closely with experimental groups around the world to study molecular frame photoelectron angular distributions. In these studies we can make detailed comparisons of experimental data and theoretical predictions of the probability of the emission of the photoelectron in specific directions relative to the orientation of the molecule. We have also considered electron scattering from cage molecules such as C60 and C20. In these systems we have found a new class of scattering resonances where the electron is trapped inside the cage. These processes are important in such physical systems as upper atmospheres, plasma processing of semiconductors, and surface analysis.
A second area of interest is the structure and dynamics of hydrogen bonded clusters. This work is done in collaboration with Professor J. W. Bevan's research group where the corresponding systems are studied experimentally. We develop potential energy surfaces using both experimental data and by performing quantum mechanical electronic structure calculations. These potentials are then used in quantum mechanical calculations of the vibrational motion of the complexes with particular attention being focused on the large amplitude motion found in hydrogen bonded systems. Currently we are studying the complexes CO--HI and (HBr)2. The results of this work will give a better understanding of important hydrogen bonded systems including liquid water and many systems of biological interest.
- Larsen, K. A., Rescigno, T. N., Streeter, Z. L., Iskandar, W., Heck, S., Gatton, A., ... Weber, T. (2020). Mechanisms and dynamics of the NH+2 + H+ and NH+ + H+ + H fragmentation channels upon single-photon double ionization of NH3. Journal of Physics B Atomic Molecular and Optical Physics. 53(24), 244003-244003.
- Larsen, K. A., Lucchese, R. R., Slaughter, D. S., & Weber, T. (2020). Distinguishing resonance symmetries with energy-resolved photoion angular distributions from ion-pair formation in O2 following two-photon absorption of a 9.3 eV femtosecond pulse. Journal of Chemical Physics. 153(2), 021103-021103.
- Bello, R. Y., Yip, F. L., Rescigno, T. N., Lucchese, R. R., & McCurdy, C. W. (2020). Two-photon double photoionization of atomic Mg by ultrashort pulses: Variation of angular distributions with pulse length. Physical Review A. 102(5), 053107.
- Marante, C. A., Greenman, L., Trevisan, C. S., Rescigno, T. N., McCurdy, C. W., & Lucchese, R. R. (2020). Validity of the static-exchange approximation for inner-shell photoionization of polyatomic molecules. Physical Review A. 102(1), 012815.
- Ueda, K., Sokell, E., Schippers, S., Aumayr, F., Sadeghpour, H., Burgdörfer, J., ... Tanaka, K. A. (2019). Roadmap on photonic, electronic and atomic collision physics: I. Light–matter interaction. Journal of Physics B Atomic Molecular and Optical Physics. 52(17), 171001-171001.
- Lucchese, R. R., & Dowek, D. (2014). Angular Distributions in Molecular Photoionization. Attosecond and XUV Physics. (pp. 293-320). Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA.
- Bentham Science Publisher, B. (2012). Photoionization Dynamics: Photoemission In The Molecular Frame Of Small Molecules Ionized By Linearly And Elliptically Polarized Light. Dynamical Processes In Atomic And Molecular Physics. (pp. 57-95). BENTHAM SCIENCE PUBLISHERS.
- Veyrinas, K., Gruson, V., Weber, S. J., Barreau, L., Ruchon, T., Hergott, J., ... Dowek, D. (2016). Molecular frame photoemission by a comb of elliptical high-order harmonics: a sensitive probe of both photodynamics and harmonic complete polarization state. Faraday Discussions. 194, 161-183.
- Ito, Y., Okunishi, M., Lucchese, R. R., Morishita, T., & Ueda, K. (2016). Retrieval of Geometrical Structure of Molecules by Intense NIR Laser Induced Electron Rescattering. utu4a.21.
- Wang, C., Okunishi, M., Lucchese, R., Morishita, T., Shimada, K., Ding, D., & Ueda, K. (2014). Electron-Ion Differential Cross Section extracting from the High-order Above-Threshold Ionization spectroscopy of C2H4 and C2H6. Journal of Physics Conference Series. 488(3), 032041-032041.
- Okunishi, M., Lucchese, R. R., Morishita, T., & Ueda, K. (2014). Interferece of Two Shape Resonances Probed by Rescattering Photoelectron Spectroscopy of CO2. Journal of Physics Conference Series. 488(3), 032024-032024.
- Okunishi, M., Sharma, V., Ito, Y., Lucchese, R. R., Morishita, T., Tolstikhin, O. I., Madsen, L. B., & Ueda, K. (2014). Laser induced rescattering photoelectron spectroscopy of CO
2molecule. 2008 JOINT CONFERENCE OF THE OPTO-ELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE AND THE AUSTRALIAN CONFERENCE ON OPTICAL FIBRE TECHNOLOGY, VOLS 1 AND 2.
- Fellow conferred by American Physical Society - (College Park, Maryland, United States) 2016
- Scott Jr., Kevin Wayne (2016-08). Spectroscopic Characterization of Hydrogen Bonded and Halogen Bonded Interactions. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- L?pez Dom?nguez, Jes?s Alberto (2015-05). Theory of Molecular Photoionization: From Vibrational Dependent Processes to the Effects of Rotational Motion in Ionizing Non-Linear Molecules on MFPADs and RFPADs. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Carey, Ralph (2012-05). Electron, Photon, and Positron Scattering Dynamics of Complex Molecular Targets. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Rivera-Rivera, Luis A. (2011-05). Morphed Potential Energy Surfaces from the Spectroscopy of Weakly Bound Complexes. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Sinha, Indrani (2007-12). Numerical simulation of the photoisomerization of retinal from the cis to the trans form. (Doctoral Dissertation)