My research is focused on executives, corporate governance, and entrepreneurship. I also have research interest in competitive dynamics, multimarket contact, corporate governance, boards of directors, and CEO succession.
education and training
- Ph.D. in , Columbia University - (New York, New York, United States) 1991
- M.Phil. in , Columbia University - (New York, New York, United States) 1989
- M.B.A. in , University of Northern Iowa - (Cedar Falls, Iowa, United States) 1984
- B.S. in , Tennessee Technological University - (Cookeville, Tennessee, United States) 1974
- Guo, W., & Cannella, A. A. (2021). No Need to Know It All: Implications of COVID‐19 for Corporate Communication Research. Journal of Management Studies. 58(5), 1421-1425.
- Wagstaff, M. F., Flores, G. L., Cannella, A., Sarkar, S., & Choirat, C. (2020). Construct Validity of Unobtrusive Measures of Organizational Ethical Climates. Corporate Reputation Review. 24(3), 1-20.
- Darouichi, A., Cannella, A., Kunisch, S., & Menz, M. (2020). Mission Accomplished? An Aspirations-Based Theory of Voluntary CEO Departure. Academy of Management Proceedings. 2020(1), 17814-17814.
- Gee, I. H., & Cannella, A. (2020). Outside Director to Executive: A New View of the Resource-Provision Role of Directors. Academy of Management Proceedings. 2020(1), 21868-21868.
- Woo, H., Cannella, A., & Mesquita, L. (2019). How intra‐ and interfirm agglomeration affect new‐unit geographic distance decisions of multiunit firms. STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT JOURNAL. 40(11), 1757-1790.
- Cannella, A. A., & Holcomb, T. R. (2005). A Multi-Level Analysis of the Upper-Echelons Model. Emerald (MCB UP ).
- Cannella, A. A., & Holcomb, T. R. (2005). A Multi-Level Analysis of the Upper-Echelons Model: Planting Seeds for Future Research. Emerald (MCB UP ).
- Cannella, A. A., & Sy, V. A. (2019). Human capital resource emergence: a commentary. Handbook of Research on Strategic Human Capital Resources. (pp. 130-142). Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Jones, C. D., & Cannella, A. A. (2011). Alternate configurations in strategic decision making. The Handbook of Research on Top Management Teams. (pp. 15-34).
- Woo, H., Cannella, A., & Mesquita, L. F. (2017). Intra- and Inter-Firm Agglomeration: The Location Decisions of Multi-Unit Firms. Academy of Management Proceedings. 2017(1), 11208-11208.
- LESTER, R. H., CANNELLA, A. A., & CERTO, S. T. (2008). KEEP CLOSE TO HOME OR VENTURE OUT: THE INFLUENCE OF STATUS AND CONNECTIONS FOR OUTSIDE DIRECTORSHIPS.. Academy of Management Proceedings. 2008(1), 1-6.
- Devers, C. E., Holcomb, T. R., Holmes, R. M., & Cannella, A. A. (2006). INSIDE THE BLACK BOX: THE CONTRASTING EFFECTS OF TMT LONG-TERM INCENTIVES ON INTEREST ALIGNMENT.. Academy of Management Proceedings. 2006(1), hh1-hh6.
- Yu, T., & Cannella, A. A. (2005). The antecedents of competitive aggressiveness among multinational enterprises: A study of the global automobile industry.
- Lester, R. H., & Cannella, A. A. (2005). The road to directorship: How corporate executives secure positions on other firm's boards.
awards and honors
- Fellow conferred by Academy of Management - (Briarcliff Manor, New York, United States) 2008
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Reutzel, Christopher Ray (2007-08). Managerial prestige and post-IPO firm performance: a partially mediated model. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Li, Jun (2004-08). A power model of management team restructuring and executive exit in IPO-stage firms: antecedents and performance effects. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Jeong, Eui Kyo (2003-12). Divisionalization, product cannibalization and product location choice: Evidence from the U.S. (automobile industry. Doctoral Dissertation)
- Yu, Tieying (2003-08). Dynamics of multinational rivalry. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Semadeni, Matthew Briggs (2003-08). Leaving the corporate fold: examining spin-off actions and performance. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Management; 4221 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4221