As a professor in the Department of Soil and Crop Sciences and member of the Interdisciplinary Faculty of Toxicology and Food Science graduate faculty, I direct a graduate education and outreach program and conduct research in regulatory science. I also serves as the State Chemist and Director of the Office of the Texas State Chemist (OTSC). In my dual role of educator and regulator, I work with students, faculty, university administrators, state and federal regulators, legislators, and manufacturers, distributors, and consumers of feed and fertilizer. A focus of my research and outreach activities involves public-private partnerships to manage mycotoxin risk through co-regulation. This effort is supported through an ISO accredited aflatoxin proficiency testing program delivered to over 200 labs in 62 countries - operating as APTECA.
- Kim, Y., Baek, I., Lee, K., Qin, J., Kim, G., Shin, B. K., ... Kim, M. S. (2022). Investigation of reflectance, fluorescence, and Raman hyperspectral imaging techniques for rapid detection of aflatoxins in ground maize. Food Control. 132, 108479-108479.
- Chavez, R. A., Cheng, X., Herrman, T. J., & Stasiewicz, M. J. (2022). Single kernel aflatoxin and fumonisin contamination distribution and spectral classification in commercial corn. Food Control. 131, 108393-108393.
- Hoffmann, V., Moser, C. M., & Herrman, T. J. (2021). Demand for Aflatoxin‐Safe Maize in Kenya: Dynamic Response to Price and Advertising. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 103(1), 275-295.
- Lee, K., Yarbrough, D., Kozman, M. M., Herrman, T. J., Park, J., Wang, R., & Kurouski, D. (2020). A rapid and convenient screening method for detection of restricted monensin, decoquinate, and lasalocid in animal feed by applying SERS and chemometrics.. Food Chem Toxicol. 144, 111633-111633.
- Lee, K., Yarbrough, D., Kozman, M. M., Herrman, T. J., Park, J., Wang, R., & Kurouski, D. (2020). Rapid detection and prediction of chlortetracycline and oxytetracycline in animal feed using surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy (SERS). Food Control. 114, 107243-107243.