Westhusin, Mark individual record
My laboratory is interested in developing transgenic animal models of disease and novel platforms for the production of biopharmaceuticals. We are currently exploring methods to produce vaccines in the milk of transgenic animals.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Veterinary Physiology, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1986
- M.S. in Veterinary Physiology, Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi - (Corpus Christi, Texas, United States) 1983
- B.S. in Animal Science, Kansas State University - (Manhattan, Kansas, United States) 1980
- Williams, D. K., Pinzón, C., Huggins, S., Pryor, J. H., Falck, A., Herman, F., ... Gaddy, D. (2018). Genetic engineering a large animal model of human hypophosphatasia in sheep.. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 8(1), 16945.
- Skiles, W. M., Kester, A., Pryor, J. H., Westhusin, M. E., Golding, M. C., & Long, C. R. (2018). Oxygen-induced alterations in the expression of chromatin modifying enzymes and the transcriptional regulation of imprinted genes. Gene Expr Patterns. 28, 1-11.
- Golding, M. C., Snyder, M., Williamson, G. L., Veazey, K. J., Peoples, M., Pryor, J. H., Westhusin, M. E., & Long, C. R. (2015). Histone-lysine N-methyltransferase SETDB1 is required for development of the bovine blastocyst. Theriogenology. 84(8), 1411-1422.
- Long, C. R., Westhusin, M. E., & Golding, M. C. (2013). Reshaping the transcriptional frontier: Epigenetics and somatic cell nuclear transfer. Molecular Reproduction and Development. 81(2), 183-193.
- Cornetta, K., Tessanne, K., Long, C., Yao, J., Satterfield, C., & Westhusin, M. (2012). Transgenic sheep generated by lentiviral vectors: safety and integration analysis of surrogates and their offspring. Transgenic Research. 22(4), 737-745.
- Williams, D. K., Pinzon, C. A., Huggins, S., Pryor, J. H., Georges, H. M., Hermann, F., ... Suva, L. J. (2018). Genetically Engineering a Sheep Model of Hypophosphatasia. FASEB J. 32(S1), 859.10-859.10.
- Williams, D. K., Pryor, J. H., Huggins, S., Georges, H. M., Pinzon, C. A., Hermann, F., ... Suva, L. J. (2017). Genetic engineering a sheep model of Hypophosphatasia.. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH. 32, S397-S397.
- WOLFE, B. A., WESTHUSIN, M. E., STEPP, P., & KRAEMER, D. C. (2016). EMBRYOS PRODUCED BY THE TRANSFER OF CAPRINE NUCLEI TO ENUCLEATED BOVINE OOCYTES ARE CAPABLE OF CLEAVAGE BUT DO NOT DEVELOP TO BLASTOCYSTS. Biology of Reproduction. 50, 72-72.
- Long, C. R., Golding, M. C., & Westhusin, M. E. (2014). Lentivirus mediated transgenic livestock: applications in biomedical research. Transgenic Research. 23(1), 192-193.
- Romano, J. E., Thompson, J. A., Kraemer, D. C., Westhusin, M. E., Forrest, D. W., & Tomaszweski, M. A. (2006). Early pregnancy diagnosis by palpation per rectum on embryo/fetus viability in dairy cattle. Theriogenology. 66(3), 667-667.
in the news
- CC, the world's first cloned cat, passes away in College Station KXXV March 5, 2020
- Texas A&M Vet School Announces The Death Of The World's First Cloned Cat WTAW March 4, 2020
- World's First Cloned Cat Dies Texas A&M Today March 4, 2020
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Campbell, Scott Robert (2016-12). Development and Evaluation of an Oral Contraceptive for Wild Pigs. (Master's Thesis)
- Peoples, Michael D 1978- (2010-12). Identification and Characterization of Bovine Pol III Promoters to Express a Short-Hairpin RNA. (Master's Thesis)
- Tessanne, Kimberly J. (2009-12). Development of Transgenic Livestock with Reduced Myostatin Expression Using RNA Interference. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Willingham-Rocky, Lauri A. (2008-12). Evaluation of oocyte competency in bovine and canine species via non-invasive assessment of oocyte quality. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Liu, Jie (2008-05). Recovery and evaluation of somatic cells from ovine and bovine semen for use in nuclear transfer. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Vet Med - Physiology & Pharmacology; 4466 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4466