Dr. Murray's research interests focus on improving the productivity, sustainability (economic and environmental) and quality of agricultural production through scientific research and development; mostly in maize (corn). The approaches used to conduct this research include 1) high-throughput field phenotyping (UAVs/drones, ground vehicles, NIRS), 2) molecular quantitative genetic discovery (including QTL mapping, GWAS), 3) statistical modeling and novel analysis methods (including big data and metanalysis), 4) development of new breeding and genetics approaches (including use of computer simulations), and ultimately 5) applied maize (corn) field breeding (classical and molecular). Primary traits of interest for discovering genetic variation and improving in maize for are yield, southern adaptation, stress (aflatoxin resistance, drought tolerance), plant height, composition (colored grain, high grain antioxidants, low phosphorus), and perennialism. Graduate student training is deeply embedded in all of my research.
- Zhang, M., Cui, Y., Liu, Y. H., Xu, W., Sze, S. H., Murray, S. C., Xu, S., & Zhang, H. B. (2019). Accurate prediction of maize grain yield using its contributing genes for gene-based breeding. GENOMICS.
- Arnold, R. J., Ochoa, A., Kerth, C. R., Miller, R. K., & Murray, S. C. (2019). Assessing the impact of corn variety and Texas terroir on flavor and alcohol yield in new-make bourbon whiskey. PLoS ONE. 14(8), e0220787-e0220787.
- Murray, S. C., Mayfield, K., Pekar, J., Brown, P., Lorenz, A., Isakeit, T., ... Betran, J. (2019). Tx741, Tx777, Tx779, Tx780, and Tx782 Inbred Maize Lines for Yield and Southern United States Stress Adaptation. Journal of Plant Registrations. 13(2), 258-269.
- Chu, T., Starek, M. J., Brewer, M. J., Murray, S. C., & Pruter, L. S. (2018). Characterizing canopy height with UAS structure-from-motion photogrammetryresults analysis of a maize field trial with respect to multiple factors. REMOTE SENSING LETTERS. 9(8), 753-762.
- Anderson, S. L., Mahan, A. L., Murray, S. C., & Klein, P. E. (2018). Four Parent Maize (FPM) population: Effects of mating designs on linkage disequilibrium and mapping quantitative traits. Plant Genome. 11(2), 0-0.
- Murray, S. C., & Wisser, R. J. (2014). Genetic inference on quantitative traits through linkage and association studies. Genetics, Genomics and Breeding of Maize. (pp. 64-88).
- Murray, S. C. (2013). Differentiation of seed, sugar, and biomass-producing genotypes in saccharinae species. Genomics of the Saccharinae. (pp. 479-502).
- Chu, T., Starek, M. J., Brewer, M. J., & Murray, S. C. (2017). MULTI-platform uas imaging for crop height estimation: Performance analysis over an experimental maize field. 2012 IEEE INTERNATIONAL GEOSCIENCE AND REMOTE SENSING SYMPOSIUM (IGARSS). 2017-July, 4338-4341.
- Chu, T., Starek, M. J., Brewer, M. J., Masiane, T., & Murray, S. C. (2017). UAS imaging for automated crop lodging detection: A case study over an experimental maize field. Novel In-Plane Semiconductor Lasers IV. 10218,
- Thomasson, J. A., Shi, Y., Olsenholler, J., Valasek, J., Murray, S. C., & Bishop, M. P. (2016). Comprehensive UAV agricultural remote-sensing research at Texas A&M University. Novel In-Plane Semiconductor Lasers IV. 9866,
- Shi, Y., Murray, S. C., Rooney, W. L., Valasek, J., Olsenholler, J., Pugh, N. A., ... Thomasson, J. A. (2016). Corn and sorghum phenotyping using a fixed-wing UAV-based remote sensing system. Novel In-Plane Semiconductor Lasers IV. 9866,
- Murray, S. C., Knox, L., Hartley, B., Mndez-Dorado, M. A., Richardson, G., Thomasson, J. A., ... Rooney, W. L.,Murray, S. C., Knox, L., Hartley, B., Méndez-Dorado, M. A., Richardson, G., Thomasson, J. A., ... Rooney, W. L. (2016). High clearance phenotyping systems for season-long measurement of corn, sorghum and other row crops to complement unmanned aerial vehicle systems. Novel In-Plane Semiconductor Lasers IV. 9866,
- Christman, Justine Lee (2017-05). Development of Near Infrared Reflectance Spectroscopy (NIRS) Calibrations of Maize Kernel Phosphorus for the Identification of Useful Breeding Material. (Master's Thesis)
- Chen, Yuanyuan (2016-12). High-density Linkage Map Construction, Mapping of Agronomic Traits in Tropical Maize (Zea Mays L.) and Validating SNPs Controlling Maize Grain Yield and Plant Height in Southern Hybrid Testcrosses. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Anderson II, Steven Langlie (2016-05). Improving Breeding Selection Efficiency: Advanced Population Designs and In Vitro Technology. (Master's Thesis)
- Smith, Schuyler (2015-05). Molecular Characterization of the Texas Maize Breeding Program. (Master's Thesis)
- Mahan, Adam Lyle (2015-05). Developing the Four Parent Maize Population (FPM): Phenotypic and Genotypic Characterization. (Doctoral Dissertation)