My primary emphases are (a) health psychology & health communication, (b) social, normative and media influence, (c) attitude change and attitude-behavior modeling, and (d) psychometrics, assessment and research methodology. Much of my current and forthcoming research focuses on social influence processes occurring within immersive virtual reality environments, with a particular emphasis on utilizing virtual gaming worlds to deliver health communications. My applied areas are health-risk prevention, science communication, and implicit and explicit bias assessment and modeling
- Ph.D. in Social Psychology, Princeton University - (Princeton, New Jersey, United States) 1994
- M.A. in Social Psychology, Princeton University - (Princeton, New Jersey, United States) 1992
- B.S. in Psychology, Virginia Tech - (Blacksburg, Virginia, United States) 1990
- AuBuchon, K. E., Kracke-Bock, J., Dodge, T., Stock, M. L., & Blanton, H (2021). Abstaining College Students’ Motives to Use E-Cigarettes: A Brief Report. 82(6), 801-806.
- Leary, A. V., Dvorak, R. D., Troop-Gordon, W., Blanton, H., Peterson, R., Kramer, M. P., De Leon, A. N., & Magri, T (2021). Test of a deviance regulation theory intervention among first-year college student drinkers: Differential effects via frequency and quantity norms..
- (2018). Effects of Immersive, Sexually Objectifying, and Violent Video Games on Hostile Sexism in Males. 35(5), 413-423.
- Blanton, H., & Jaccard, J (2017). You Can't Assess the Forest if You Can't Assess the Trees: Psychometric Challenges to Measuring Implicit Bias in Crowds. 28(4), 249-257.
- Blanton, H., Burrows, C. N., & Jaccard, J (2016). To accurately estimate implicit influences on health behavior, accurately estimate explicit influences.. 35(8), 856-860.
- Pelham, B., & Blanton, H (2012). Conducting Research in Psychology: Measuring the Weight of Smoke. Cengage Learning.
- Blanton, H., & Jaccard, J (2008). Unconscious Racism: A Concept in Pursuit of a Measure. Annual Reviews.
- Stapel, D. A., & Blanton, H (2007). Social Comparison Theories Key Readings. Psychology Press (UK).
- Blanton, H., Burrows, C. N., & Regan, T. (2020). Call of Duty – the Tobacco Wars. Applications of Social Psychology. 107-123. Routledge.
- Blanton, H., & Jaccard, J. (2018). From Principles to Measurement. Measurement in Social Psychology. 1-28. Routledge.
- Blanton, H., & Ikizer, E. G. (2017). The Bullet-point Bias. The Politics of Social Psychology. 168-190. Psychology Press.
- Blanton, H., & Ikizer, E. G (2017). The Politics of Social Psychology. The Politics of Social Psychology. 168-190. Psychology Press.
- Burkley, M., & Blanton, H (2017). The dilemmatics approach to applied research design: a case study of violent video game effects and aggression. Steg, L., Kees, K., Buunk, A. P., & Rothengatter, T. (Eds.), Applied Social Psychology. 82-108. Cambridge University Press.
- Wagner, Sharon P. (2021-04). Consumer Attitudes Toward Milk and Plant-Based Dairy Alternative Beverages. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Burpo, Jill Elizabeth (2003-05). Unintended consequences of negative messages: why some health interventions miss the mark. (Master's Thesis)