education and training
- Ph.D. in , Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 1990
- M.A. in Communication, Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 1985
- B.A. in Communication, Bowling Green State University - (Bowling Green, Ohio, United States) 1982
- Vercic, A. T., Vercic, D., & Coombs, W. T. (2019). Convergence of crisis response strategy and source credibility: Who can you trust?. Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management. 27(1), 28-37.
- Coombs, W. T., & Tachkova, E. R. (2019). Scansis as a unique crisis type: theoretical and practical implications. Journal of Communication Management. 23(1), 72-88.
- Coombs, T. (2019). Transmedia storytelling: a potentially vital resource for CSR communication. Corporate Communications: An International Journal. 24(2), 351-367.
- Coombs, W. T., & Laufer, D. (2018). Global Crisis Management - Current Research and Future Directions. JOURNAL OF INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT. 24(3), 199-203.
- Coombs, W. T., & Holladay, S. J. (2018). Innovation in public relations theory and practice: A transmedia narrative transportation (TNT) approach. Journal of Communication Management. 22(4), 382-396.
- Billings, A. C., Coombs, W. T., & Brown, K. A. (2018). Reputational challenges in sport: Theory and application.
- Coombs, W. T., Falkheimer, J., Heide, M., & Young, P. (2015). Strategic communication, social media and democracy: The challenge of the digital naturals. Routledge.
- Coombs, W. T., & Holladay, S. J. (2013). It's Not Just PR Public Relations in Society. JOhn Wiley & Sons.
- Coombs, W. T., & Holladay, S. J. (2011). Managing Corporate Social Responsibility: A Communication Approach. Wiley-blackwell.
- Coombs, W. T., & Holladay, S. J. (2010). The Handbook of Crisis Communication. Wiley-blackwell.
- Coombs, W. T., & Holladay, S. J. (2019). Corporate scandalization process: Unpacking the corporate scandal. The Routledge Companion to Media and Scandal. (pp. 399-409).
- Timothy, C. W., & Holladay, S. J. (2018). Activist stakeholders challenging organizations: Enkindling stakeholder-initiated engagement. The Handbook of Communication Engagement. (pp. 269-283). John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
- Coombs, W. T. (2018). Athlete reputational crises: One point for linking: Situational crisis communication theory and sports crises. Reputational Challenges in Sport: Theory and Application. (pp. 13-24). Routledge.
- Coombs, W. T. (2018). Crisis communication: The best evidence from research. The Routledge Companion to Risk, Crisis and Emergency Management. (pp. 51-66). Routledge.
- Coombs, W. T. (2017). Revising situational crisis communication theory: The influences of social media on crisis communication theory and practice. Social Media and Crisis Communication. (pp. 21-37). Routledge.
awards and honors
- Business Communication Impact Award conferred by University of Southern California - (Los Angeles, California, United States) - USC Marshall School of Business 2014
- Pathfinder Award conferred by Institute for Public Relations conferred by Institute for Public Relations - (Gainesville, Florida, United States) 2013
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
Texas A&M University; Communication; 4234 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4234