education and training
- Ph.D. in Applied Experimental Psychology, George Mason University - (Fairfax, Virginia, United States) 2000
- M.S. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, University of Central Florida - (Orlando, Florida, United States) 1996
- B.A. in Psychology, Saint Leo University - (Saint Leo, Florida, United States) 1993
- Xu, X., & Payne, S. C. (2020). When Do Job Resources Buffer the Effect of Job Demands?. International Journal of Stress Management. 27(3), 226-240.
- He, Y., Walker, J. M., Payne, S. C., & Miner, K. N. (2020). Explaining the negative impact of workplace incivility on work and non‐work outcomes: The roles of negative rumination and organizational support. Stress and Health. 37(2), 297-309.
- He, Y., Payne, S. C., Yao, X., & Smallman, R. (2020). Improving workplace safety by thinking about what might have been: A first look at the role of counterfactual thinking. Journal of Safety Research. 72, 153-164.
- Keiser, N. L., & Payne, S. C. (2019). Are employee surveys biased? Impression management as a response bias in workplace safety constructs. Safety Science. 118, 453-465.
- He, Y., Wang, Y. i., & Payne, S. C. (2019). How is safety climate formed? A meta-analysis of the antecedents of safety climate. Organizational Psychology Review. 9(2-3), 124-156.
- Payne, S. C., Bergman, M. E., Keiser, N. L., & Xu, X. (2017). Safety climate of small-to-medium enterprises. Safety Management in Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs). (pp. 93-120). CRC Press.
- Jean, V. A., Payne, S. C., & Thompson, R. J. (2015). Women in STEM: Family-Related Challenges and Initiatives. Gender and the Work-Family Experience. (pp. 291-311). Springer International Publishing.
- Pritchard, R. D., & Payne, S. C. (2002). Performance Management Practices and Motivation. The New Workplace. (pp. 219-244). John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Beus, J. M., Munoz, G. J., Arthur, W., & Payne, S. C. (2013). A multilevel construct validation of safety climate. Academy of Management Proceedings. 2013(1), 10843-214.
- Payne, S. C., Rodriguez, J. M., & Bergman, M. E. (2009). The BP baker report: Assessing its impact on process safety culture. 74-85.
- Payne, S. C., Rodriguez, J. M., & Bergman, M. E. (2008). The impact of the BP baker report and process safety survey.
- Payne, S. C., Bergman, M. E., Henning, J. B., & Stufft, C. J. (2007). Safety climate from the safety experts: In their own words.
- Payne, S. C., Youngcourt, S. S., & Beaubien, J. M. (2007). A Meta-Analytic Examination of the Goal Orientation Nomological Net. Journal of Applied Psychology. 92(1), 128-150.
awards and honors
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Xu, Xiaohong (2015-12). Measurement Equivalence of a Safety Climate Measure across National Cultures, Languages, and Work Environments. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hendricks, Joseph Wade (2015-12). When and Why Performance-Prove Goal Orientation Predicts Task Performance and Goal Expectancy: The Roles of Goal Content, Self-Efficacy, and Goal Structure. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Deshpande, Saurabh S (2015-12). The Effect of Performance Variation on Rater Attributions and Ratings of Job Performance. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Horner, Margaret Tutt (2015-12). Person-Goal Fit: A New Person-Environment Fit Dimension. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Keiser, Nathanael Lincoln (2015-08). An Empirical Test of Context-Specific Safety Climate Measurement: A Comparison of Five Research Laboratory Safety Climate Measures to a General Measure of Safety Climate. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; Psychology; 4235 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4235