education and training
- Ph.D. in Applied Experimental Psychology, George Mason University - (Fairfax, Virginia, United States) 2000
- M.S. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, University of Central Florida - (Orlando, Florida, United States) 1996
- B.A. in Psychology, Saint Leo University - (Saint Leo, Florida, United States) 1993
- Payne, S. C., Thompson, R. J., & Greer, T. W. (2021). A call for I-O psychologists to contribute to business continuity planning and assessment. Industrial and Organizational Psychology. 14(1-2), 229-234.
- He, Y., Walker, J. M., Payne, S. C., & Miner, K. N. (2021). Explaining the negative impact of workplace incivility on work and non-work outcomes: The roles of negative rumination and organizational support.. Stress Health. 37(2), 297-309.
- Xu, X., & Payne, S. C. (2020). When do job resources buffer the effect of job demands?. International Journal of Stress Management. 27(3), 226-240.
- He, Y., Payne, S. C., Yao, X., & Smallman, R. (2020). Improving workplace safety by thinking about what might have been: A first look at the role of counterfactual thinking.. J Safety Res. 72, 153-164.
- Beus, J. M., Payne, S. C., Arthur, W., & Muoz, G. J. (2019). The Development and Validation of a Cross-Industry Safety Climate Measure: Resolving Conceptual and Operational Issues. Journal of Management. 45(5), 1987-2013.
- Payne, S. C., Bergman, M. E., Keiser, N. L., & Xu, X. (2017). Safety Management in Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs). Boustras, G., & Guldenmund, F. W. (Eds.), Safety Management in Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs). 93-120. CRC Press.
- Jean, V. A., Payne, S. C., & Thompson, R. J. (2015). Women in STEM: Family-Related Challenges and Initiatives. Gender and the Work-Family Experience. 291-311. Springer International Publishing.
- Pritchard, R. D., & Payne, S. C. (2002). Performance Management Practices and Motivation. The New Workplace. 219-244. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Beus, J. M., Munoz, G. J., Arthur, W., & Payne, S. C. (2013). A multilevel construct validation of safety climate. Academy of Management Proceedings. 2013(1), 10843-10843.
- Payne, S. C., Rodriguez, J. M., & Bergman, M. E. (2009). The BP baker report: Assessing its impact on process safety culture. 1st Regional Process Technology Conference 2009. 74-85.
- Payne, S. C., Rodriguez, J. M., & Bergman, M. E. (2008). The impact of the BP baker report and process safety survey. Conference Proceedings - 2009 AIChE Spring National Meeting and 5th Global Congress on Process Safety.
- Payne, S. C., Bergman, M. E., Henning, J. B., & Stufft, C. J. (2007). Safety climate from the safety experts: In their own words. AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings.
- Payne, S. C., Youngcourt, S. S., & Beaubien, J. M. (2007). A meta-analytic examination of the goal orientation nomological net.. J Appl Psychol. 92(1), 128-150.
in the news
awards and honors
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Xu, Xiaohong (2015-12). Measurement Equivalence of a Safety Climate Measure across National Cultures, Languages, and Work Environments. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hendricks, Joseph Wade (2015-12). When and Why Performance-Prove Goal Orientation Predicts Task Performance and Goal Expectancy: The Roles of Goal Content, Self-Efficacy, and Goal Structure. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Deshpande, Saurabh S (2015-12). The Effect of Performance Variation on Rater Attributions and Ratings of Job Performance. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Horner, Margaret Tutt (2015-12). Person-Goal Fit: A New Person-Environment Fit Dimension. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Keiser, Nathanael Lincoln (2015-08). An Empirical Test of Context-Specific Safety Climate Measurement: A Comparison of Five Research Laboratory Safety Climate Measures to a General Measure of Safety Climate. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; Psychology; 4235 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4235