Understanding dynamics and biogeochemistry of particle formation, sinking, resuspension, transport and deposition in the ocean from the continental shelf to the deep sea and from surface waters to the seafloor using satellite and in-situ measurements. Quantifying particulate organic carbon (POC) in the ocean through the development of algorithms from satellite ocean color that are sea-truthed with in-situ POC and transmissometer data to unravel global ocean processes of carbon recycling.
Improving geoscience educational opportunities through development of enhanced educational delivery methods, relevant curricula, international field-based learning, and improved undergraduate and graduate educational experiences.
- Ph.D. in Oceanography, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - (Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States) 1980
- A.B. in Geology/ Mathematics, Smith College - (Northampton, Massachusetts, United States) 1975
- Gardner, W. D., Richardson, M. J., Mishonov, A. V., Lam, P. J., & Xiang, Y. (2022). Distribution, Sources, and Dynamics of Particulate Matter Along Trans-Arctic Sections. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-OCEANS. 127(6),
- Lerner, P., Marchal, O., Lam, P. J., Gardner, W., Richardson, M. J., & Mishonov, A. (2020). A model study of the relative influences of scavenging and circulation on Th-230 and Pa-231 in the western North Atlantic. DEEP-SEA RESEARCH PART I-OCEANOGRAPHIC RESEARCH PAPERS. 103159-103159.
- John, S. G., Liang, H., Weber, T., DeVries, T., Primeau, F., Moore, K., ... Taburet, G. (2020). AWESOME OCIM: A simple, flexible, and powerful tool for modeling elemental cycling in the oceans. CHEMICAL GEOLOGY. 533, 119403-119403.
- Gardner, W. D., Richardson, M. J., Mishonov, A. V., & Biscaye, P. E. (2019). Global comparison of benthic nepheloid layers based on 52 years of nephelometer and transmissometer measurements. PROGRESS IN OCEANOGRAPHY. 100-111.
- Gardner, W. D., Mishonov, A. V., & Richardson, M. J. (2018). Decadal Comparisons of Particulate Matter in Repeat Transects in the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian Ocean Basins. GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS. 45(1), 277-286.
- GARDNER, W. D., & RICHARDSON, M. J. (1992). PARTICLE EXPORT AND RESUSPENSION FLUXES IN THE WESTERN NORTH-ATLANTIC. Rowe, G. T., & Pariente, V. (Eds.), Deep-Sea Food Chains and the Global Carbon Cycle. 339-364. Springer Nature.
- Multi-Decadal Global Surveys of Benthic Nepheloid Layers awarded by National Science Foundation 2015 - 2020
- NSF-S-Stem Geological and Geophysical Scholars of Continental Margins awarded by National Science Foundation 2008 - 2015
- Zuck, Nicole A (2014-08). The Relationships of Particulate Matter and Particulate Organic Carbon with Hypoxic Conditions Along the Texas-Louisiana Shelf. (Master's Thesis)
- Cochran, Emma Mary (2013-08). The Role of Particulate Matter in the Development of Hypoxia on the Texas-Louisiana Shelf. (Master's Thesis)