- Assistant Professor, Biochemistry and Biophysics, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Faculty Affiliate, Energy Institute, Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES), Division of Research
Despite the fundamental role of the mitochondrion in cellular energy production and its involvement in numerous human diseases, we still do not know the function of nearly 20% of the known mitochondrial proteins. My laboratory applies genomic, genetic, and biochemical tools to uncover the role of these uncharacterized proteins in the mitochondrial respiratory chain (MRC) biogenesis. MRC is the main site of cellular respiration and energy production and since the core components of the MRC are evolutionarily conserved, we reason that the assembly factors required to build the MRC should also be conserved. Therefore, we utilize multiple models systems, including yeast, zebrafish, and human cell lines, to determine the role of these conserved, uncharacterized mitochondrial proteins in bioenergetics, organismal development, and human disease pathogenesis.
Another poorly understood aspect of the mitochondrial energy metabolism is the role of phospholipids in maintaining the structural and functional integrity of the MRC. Although it is well known that the MRC is localized in the inner mitochondrial membrane, how the unique lipid milieu of the mitochondrial membrane influences the assembly and activity of the MRC is not fully understood. We have constructed yeast mutants with defined mitochondrial phospholipid compositions to systematically determine each lipid's role in MRC assembly and activity. Ultimately, defining the roles of mitochondrial proteins and phospholipids will allow us to develop better diagnostic and therapeutic options for human disorders resulting from mitochondrial dysfunction.
- Ph.D. in , Wayne State University - (Detroit, Michigan, United States) 2005
- M.Sc. in Biochemistry, Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda - (Vadodara, Gujarat, India) 1997
- B.Sc. in , Mohanlal Sukhadia University - (Udaipur, India) 1995
- Zulkifli, M., Spelbring, A. N., Zhang, Y., Soma, S., Chen, S. i., Li, L., ... Gohil, V. M. (2023). FDX1-dependent and independent mechanisms of elesclomol-mediated intracellular copper delivery.. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 120(10), e2216722120.
- Garza, N. M., Swaminathan, A. B., Maremanda, K. P., Zulkifli, M., & Gohil, V. M. (2023). Mitochondrial copper in human genetic disorders.. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 34(1), 21-33.
- Swaminathan, A. B., Soma, S., Vicary, A. C., Zulkifli, M., Kaur, H., & Gohil, V. M. (2022). A yeast suppressor screen links Coa4 to the mitochondrial copper delivery pathway for cytochrome c oxidase.. Genetics. 221(4), iyac090.
- Garza, N. M., Zulkifli, M., & Gohil, V. M. (2022). Elesclomol elevates cellular and mitochondrial iron levels by delivering copper to the iron import machinery.. J Biol Chem. 298(7), 102139-102139.
- Ge, E. J., Bush, A. I., Casini, A., Cobine, P. A., Cross, J. R., DeNicola, G. M., ... Chang, C. J. (2022). Connecting copper and cancer: from transition metal signalling to metalloplasia.. Nat Rev Cancer. 22(2), 102-113.
Repository Documents / Preprints3
- Jett, K. A., Baker, Z. N., Hossain, A., Boulet, A., Cobine, P. A., Ghosh, S., ... Leary, S. C. (2021). Mitochondrial dysfunction triggers secretion of the immunosuppressive factor -fetoprotein.
- Garza, N. M., Griffin, A. T., Zulkifli, M., Qiu, C., Kaplan, C. D., & Gohil, V. M. (2021). A genome wide copper-sensitized screen identifies novel regulators of mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase activity.
- Soma, S., Morgada, M. N., Naik, M. T., Boulet, A., Roesler, A. A., Dziuba, N., ... Gohil, V. M. (2019). COA6 is Structurally Tuned to Function as a Thiol-Disulfide Oxidoreductase in Copper Delivery to Mitochondrial Cytochrome c Oxidase.
- New link between calcium and cardiolipin in heart defects AgriLife Today July 7, 2020
- Promising study offers hope for Menkes disease treatment AgriLife Today May 8, 2020
- Epigenetics of the Aging Astrocyte: Implications for Stroke awarded by DHHS-NIH-National Institute On Aging 2018 - 2023
- BICH411 Comprehen Biochem Ii Instructor
- BICH441 Biochemistry Ii Instructor
- BICH491 Hnr-research Instructor
- BICH491 Research Instructor
- BICH685 Directed Studies Instructor
- Baker, Charli D (2017-05). Phospholipid Requirements for Mitochondrial Respiratory Chain Function. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Pratt, Anthony Thomas (2015-08). Functional and Regulatory Studies of Cytochrome c Oxidase Assembly Factor 6. (Master's Thesis)