My areas of interest include nineteenth-century literature and culture, the novel, history and discourses of the body, literary and cultural theory, and contemporary popular culture.
education and training
- O'Farrell, M. A. (2014). Henry James's Jolie Laide. The Henry James Review. 35(3), 226-231.
- O'Farrell, M. A. (2012). Blindness envy: Victorians in the parlors of the blind. PMLA. 127(3), 512-525.
- O'farrell, M. A. (2012). Meditating Much Upon Forks: Manners and Manner in Jane Austen’s Novels. Persuasions: The Jane Austen Journal. (34), 99-110.
- O'Farrell, M. A. (2010). The laughter of the diviners, or manners and the sacred. The Henry James Review. 31(1), 27-31.
- O'Farrell, M. A. (2006). Missing Jane Austen: Henry James considers the old maid. The Henry James Review. 27(1), 1-9.
- O’Farrell, M. A. (2014). Provoking George Eliot. Compassion: The Culture and Politics of an Emotion. (pp. 145-158). Routledge.
- O'farrell, M. A. (2012). Dickens's scar: Rosa Dartle and David Copperfield. Nayder, L. (Eds.), Dickens, Sexuality and Gender. (pp. 327-362). Ashgate Publishing.
- O’Farrell, M. A. (2012). ‘Bin Laden a Huge Jane Austen Fan’: Jane Austen in Contemporary Political Discourse. Dow, G., & Hanson, C. (Eds.), Uses of Austen. (pp. 192-207). Palgrave Macmillan UK.
- O'Farrell, M. A. (2009). Austenian Subcultures. A Companion to Jane Austen. (pp. 478-487). Wiley-blackwell.
- O'Farrell, M. A. (2005). Words to do with things reading about Willa Cather and material culture. Willa Cather and Material Culture: Real-World Writing, Writing The Real World. (pp. 207-217).
chaired theses and dissertations
- Haitos, Alexander Nicholas (2015-12). Pitfalls of Perfection: Rethinking Hawthorne's Treatment of Science and the Danger of Extremes in \"The Artist of the Beautiful\" and \"The Birthmark\". (Master's Thesis)
- Lee, Joori (2013-08). The Making of Beauty: Aesthetic Spaces in the Fiction of D. H. Lawrence, Muriel Spark, and Virginia Woolf. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Durgan, Jessica (2012-05). Color, the Visual Arts, and Representations of Otherness in the Victorian Novel. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Montz, Amy Louise (2008-08). Dressing for England: fashion and nationalism in victorian novels. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hyun, Sook K. (2008-08). Storytelling and Self-Formation in Nineteenth-Century British Novels. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; English; 4227 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4227