My primary research interest focuses on the unique properties of neurons that generate circadian rhythms and the interactions between them that mediate their ability to coordinate molecular and physiological rhythms in tissues and, ultimately, regulate rhythmic behaviors. Using a combination of molecular, cellular, and behavioral analyses in the mouse model my research aims to identify how cells within the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN) of the anterior hypothalamus function as a biological clock in generating circadian output signals that synchronize rhythmic processes within diverse tissues throughout the body.
- Vanderbilt University - (Nashville, Tennessee, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2009
- Texas A&M Health Science Center - (College Station, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2005
- Ph.D. in Medical Science, Texas A&M Health Science Center - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2001
- B.S. in Biology, University of Oregon - (Eugene, Oregon, United States) 1995
- Ratajczak, C. K., Asada, M., Allen, G. C., McMahon, D. G., Muglia, L. M., Smith, D., Bhattacharyya, S., & Muglia, L. J. (2012). Generation of myometrium-specific Bmal1 knockout mice for parturition analysis. REPRODUCTION FERTILITY AND DEVELOPMENT. 24(5), 759-767.
- Farnell, Y. F., Shende, V. R., Neuendorff, N., Allen, G. C., & Earnest, D. J. (2011). Immortalized cell lines for real‐time analysis of circadian pacemaker and peripheral oscillator properties. European Journal of Neuroscience. 33(8), 1533-1540.
- Hundahl, C. A., Allen, G. C., Hannibal, J., Kjaer, K., Rehfeld, J. F., Dewilde, S., ... Hay-Schmidt, A. (2010). Anatomical characterization of cytoglobin and neuroglobin mRNA and protein expression in the mouse brain. Brain Res. 1331, 58-73.
- Hundahl, C. A., Allen, G. C., Hannibal, J., Kjaer, K., Rehfeld, J. F., Dewilde, S., ... Hay-Schmidt, A. (2010). Erratum: Anatomical characterization of cytoglobin and neuroglobin mRNA and protein expression in the mouse brain (Brain Research (2010) 17:1331 (58-73)). Brain Res. 1355, 240-240.
- Farnell, Y. Z., Allen, G. C., Neuendorff, N., West, J. R., Wei-Jung, A. C., & Earnest, D. J. (2009). Effects of neonatal alcohol exposure on vasoactive intestinal polypeptide neurons in the rat suprachiasmatic nucleus. ALCOHOL. 43(5), 387-396.
- Thompson, B. J., Cunningham, A., Allen, G. C., Dalley, A. F., Wente, S. R., Chalkley, R., & Norden, J. J. (2007). Preparing tomorrow's medical educators. The FASEB Journal. 21(5), A139-A139.
- Farrell, Y. F., West, J. R., Chen, W., Allen, G. C., Marchette, L. D., & Earnest, D. J. (2004). Developmental alcohol exposure disrupts clock gene rhythms in the rat SCN and cerebellum.. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 28(5), 164A-164A.