My research interests span topics in structural geology, mineral physics, and solid earth geophysics with emphasis placed on the mechanical properties of Earth materials and the deformation mechanisms that govern rheology. Specific research topics have addressed the
plasticity, creep, and failure of minerals and rocks, examining the roles of crystalline defects, grain boundaries, interfaces, and fluids in determining macroscopic behavior. Taking an experimental approach, I have examined the effects of fluids, defect chemistry, and diffusional kinetics on mechanical behavior with current studies including the deformation of carbonates,
compactional creep of porous quartz aggregates, the role of crack healing in restrengthening rocks, and hydrolytic weakening of silicates.
- Ph.D. in Geology, Brown University - (Providence, Rhode Island, United States) 1983
- M.S. in Geology, Brown University - (Providence, Rhode Island, United States) 1979
- B.S. in Geology, University of California Los Angeles - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 1977
- Karner, S. L., Kronenberg, A. K., Chester, F. M., Chester, J. S., & Jr, H. A. (2008). Hydrothermal deformation of granular quartz sand. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth. 113(B5),
- Davis, N. E., Kronenberg, A. K., & Newman, J. (2008). Plasticity and diffusion creep of dolomite. TECTONOPHYSICS. 456(3-4), 127-146.
- Chester, F. M., Chester, J. S., Kronenberg, A. K., & Hajash, A. (2007). Subcritical creep compaction of quartz sand at diagenetic conditions: Effects of water and grain size. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-SOLID EARTH. 112(B6),
- Beeler, N. M., Tullis, T. E., Kronenberg, A. K., & Reinen, L. A. (2007). The instantaneous rate dependence in low temperature laboratory rock friction and rock deformation experiments. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-SOLID EARTH. 112(B7),
- Chester, J. S., Chester, F. M., & Kronenberg, A. K. (2005). Fracture surface energy of the Punchbowl fault, San Andreas system. NATURE. 437(7055), 133-136.
- Kronenberg, A. K., Segall, P., & Wolf, G. H. (1990). Hydrolytic weakening and penetrative deformation within a natural shear zone. Geophysical Monograph Series. The Brittle‐Ductile Transition in Rocks. (pp. 21-36). American Geophysical Union.
- Karner, S. L., Kronenberg, A. K., Chester, J. S., Chester, F. M., & Hajash, A. (2008). Laboratory study of hydrothermal deformation in unconsolidated St Peter quartz sand.
- Kronenberg, A. K. (1996). Hydrogen speciation of alpha-quartz. 96(1), 163-171.
- KWON, O., & KRONENBERG, A. K. (1994). DEFORMATION OF WILCOX SHALE - UNDRAINED STRENGTHS AND EFFECTS OF STRAIN-RATE. 757-765.
- IBANEZ, W. D., & KRONENBERG, A. K. (1993). EXPERIMENTAL DEFORMATION OF SHALE - MECHANICAL-PROPERTIES AND MICROSTRUCTURAL INDICATORS OF MECHANISMS. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences and. 30(7), 723-734.
- Unal, Ahmet (2018-05). The Effect of Deformation on Clumped Isotope Concentration in Calcite. (Master's Thesis)
- Ulrich, Christopher A (2015-12). Deformation Mechanisms and Microstructures of Experimentally Deformed Magnesite. (Master's Thesis)
- Goodson, Kyle (2014-08). Penetrative Deformation of Dolostones during Contact Metamorphism and the Forceful Emplacement of the Tungstonia Granite, Kern Mountains, Nevada. (Master's Thesis)
- Davis, Nathan Ernest (2005-08). Experimental deformation of natural and synthetic dolomite. (Master's Thesis)
- Fallon, Jessica Anne (2004-12). Crack healing as a function of pOH- and fracture morphology. (Master's Thesis)