My breeding and scientific research, graduate and post-graduate programs relate directly or indirectly to use of naturally occurring germplasm for crop improvement. Elements of the research include wild-species germplasm introgression, chromosome substitution, reproductive and ploidy manipulations, conventional cytogenetics and fluorescence in situ hybridization, genetic analysis, marker development (SSRs, SNPs), marker assisted selection, reproductive cytology and genetics, and various types of genome mapping (linkage, BAC physical, and radiation hybrid), sequencing, and their integration for genome sequencing and assembly. Most of my research aims to enhance the germplasm, knowledge, science and technologies for genetic improvement Upland cotton, e.g., economic yield and sustainability; some, however, is devoted to sorghum, especially wide hybridization and germplasm utilization.
- Ph.D. in Plant Breeding & Plant Genetics, University of Wisconsin - Madison - (Madison, Wisconsin, United States) 1983
- M.S. in Plant Breeding & Cytogenetics, Iowa State University - (Ames, Iowa, United States) 1979
- B.S. in Genetics, University of Wisconsin - Madison - (Madison, Wisconsin, United States) 1975
- Grover, C. E., Pan, M., Yuan, D., Arick, M. A., Hu, G., Brase, L., ... Udall, J. A. (2020). The Gossypium longicalyx Genome as a Resource for Cotton Breeding and Evolution.. G3 (Bethesda, Md.). 10(5), 1457-1467.
- Grover, C., Pan, M., Yuan, D., Arick, M., Hu, G., Brase, L., ... Udall, J. (2020). The Gossypium longicalyx genome as a resource for cotton breeding and evolution.
- Ulloa, M., De Santiago, L. M., Hulse-Kemp, A. M., Stelly, D. M., & Burke, J. J. (2019). Enhancing Upland cotton for drought resilience, productivity, and fiber quality: comparative evaluation and genetic dissection. MOLECULAR GENETICS AND GENOMICS. 295(1), 155-176.
- Jenkins, J. N., McCarty, J. C., Hayes, R. W., Stelly, D. M., & Saha, S. (2019). Registration of RMBHMTUP-C4, a Random-Mated Cotton Population Containing Alleles from Four Gossypium Species. Journal of Plant Registrations. 13(3), 411-415.
- Sripathi, V. R., Choi, Y., Gossett, Z. B., Stelly, D. M., Moss, E. M., Town, C. D., ... Chan, A. P. (2018). Identification of microRNAs and their targets in four Gossypium species using RNA sequencing. Current Plant Biology. 14, 30-40.
- Pixley, K. V., Falck-Zepeda, J. B., Giller, K. E., Glenna, L. L., Gould, F., Mallory-Smith, C. A., Stelly, D. M., & Jr, S. (2019). Genome Editing, Gene Drives, and Synthetic Biology: Will They Contribute to Disease-Resistant Crops, and Who Will Benefit?. Annual Reviews.
- Centeno, Christian C (2017-08). DEVELOPMENT OF PCR-BASED TRANSPOSABLE ELEMENT ASSAYS FOR VERIFICATION OF PEARL MILLET-NAPIERGRASS HYBRIDS (Pennisetum glaucum [L.] R. BR X Pennisetum purpureum SCHUMACH.). (Master's Thesis)
- Kyanam, Ammani Naidu (2016-12). Development of Multiplex and Simplex Platforms for SNP-based Introgression of A2 and D1 Germplasm into Cotton Gossypium hirsutum (L.). (Master's Thesis)
- Maeda, Andrea Borges Vieira (2015-05). Expression Analysis and Mapping of the Semigamy Gene in Cotton (Gossypium barbadense L.). (Master's Thesis)
- Hulse-Kemp, Amanda M (2015-05). Development of Genomic Markers and Mapping Tools for Assembling the Allotetraploid Gossypium hirsutum L. (Draft Genome Sequence. Doctoral Dissertation)
- Xu, Jiale (2014-12). Transmission Rates of Gossypium mustelinum and G. (tomentosum SNP Markers in Early-generation Backcrosses to Cotton. Master's Thesis)