education and training
- D.Phil. in Modern History, University of Oxford - (Oxford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom) 1985
- A.B. in History and Philosophy of Science, Princeton University - (Princeton, New Jersey, United States) 1978
- Coopersmith, J. (2020). Spectacular Flops: Game-Changing Technologies That Failed. TECHNOLOGY AND CULTURE. 61(4), 1235-1236.
- Coopersmith, J. (2020). Ibm: The Rise and Fall and Reinvention of a Global Icon. Journal of American History. 107(2), 510-511.
- Coopersmith, J (2017). The Upstarts: How Uber, Airbnb, and the Killer Companies of the New Silicon Valley Are Changing the World. By Brad Stone . New York: Little, Brown, and Company, 2017. 372 pp. Photographs, notes, index. Cloth, $30.00. ISBN: 978-0-316-38839-9.. Business History Review. 91(3), 606-608.
- Coopersmith, J (2017). Shifting Practices: Reflections on Technology, Practice, and Innovation by Giovan Francesco Lanzara. Technology and Culture. 58(4), 1071-1072.
- Coopersmith, J (2016). Paper Knowledge: Toward a Media History of Documents. AMERICAN HISTORICAL REVIEW. 121(4), 1248-1249.
- Coopersmith, J. C., & Davis, E. W (2016). A strategic roadmap for commercializing low-cost beamed energy propulsion launch systems. AIAA Space and Astronautics Forum and Exposition, SPACE 2016.
- Coopersmith, J. (2012). A Florentine in in Paris: The Caselli pantelegraph and its successors, 1859–1871. 2012 Third IEEE HISTory of ELectro-technology CONference (HISTELCON), 2012 Third IEEE HISTory of ELectro-technology CONference - "The Origins of Electrotechnologies" (HISTELCON 2012). 1-6.
- Coopersmith, J., Phipps, C., Komurasaki, K., & Sinko, J. (2010). Solar Power Satellites: Creating the Market for Beamed Energy Propulsion. AIP Conference Proceedings, BEAMED ENERGY PROPULSION: 6th International Symposium. 1230(1), 103-110.
- Coopersmith, J. (2009). Historians: Learning from the History of Technical Societies. 2009 IEEE Conference on the History of Technical Societies, 2009 IEEE Conference on the History of Technical Societies. 1-7.
- Coopersmith, J. (2006). Nuclear Waste Disposal in Space: BEP’s Best Hope?. AIP Conference Proceedings, BEAMED ENERGY PROPULSION: Fourth International Symposium on Beamed Energy Propulsion. 830(1), 600-604.
- Holmes, C. (2020). Obstacles to voting: 6 essential reads on the challenges of election 2020. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Coopersmith, J. (2020). It takes a long time to vote. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Coopersmith, J. (2019). Can sun umbrellas ever become fashionable again in America?. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Coopersmith, J. (2019). Why do people still use fax machines?. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Coopersmith, J. (2017). What fax machines can teach us about electric cars. - An article submitted to The Conversation
in the news
- How do fax machines work? Live Science November 28, 2020
- How The Google Lawsuit Will Affect The Future Of Technology Texas A&M Today November 10, 2020
- Election Tips And Resources Texas A&M Today October 22, 2020
awards and honors
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Peterson, Tyler David (2017-05). A Fire to be Lighted: The Training of American Astronauts From 1959 to the Present. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Henning, Lori Ann (2015-05). Envisioning the Aeroplane: Comparing the Spectrum of Responses in the American and British Armies to a Technology without Precedent, 1903-1939. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Janzen, Mark Ryan (2010-12). The Cranberry Scare of 1959: The Beginning of the End of the Delaney Clause. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; History; 4236 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4236