Coopersmith, Jonathan individual record
- Faculty Affiliate, Energy Institute, Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES), Division of Research
- Professor, History, College of Arts and Sciences
education and training
- D.Phil. in Modern History, University of Oxford - (Oxford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom) 1985
- A.B. in History and Philosophy of Science, Princeton University - (Princeton, New Jersey, United States) 1978
- Coopersmith, J., & Popp, A. (2022). Piketty amongst the historians: Introduction to a symposium on Thomas Piketty's Capital and Iideology. HISTORY COMPASS. 20(4),
- Coopersmith, J. (2020). IBM: The Rise and Fall and Reinvention of a Global Icon. JOURNAL OF AMERICAN HISTORY. 107(2), 510-511.
- Coopersmith, J. (2020). Spectacular Flops: Game-Changing Technologies That Failed. TECHNOLOGY AND CULTURE. 61(4), 1235-1236.
- Coopersmith, J. (2017). Near and Distant Neighbors: A New History of Soviet Intelligence. History Reviews of New Books. 45(3), 72-73.
- Coopersmith, J. (2017). Shifting Practices: Reflections on Technology, Practice, and Innovation.. TECHNOLOGY AND CULTURE. 58(4), 1071-1072.
- Coopersmith, J. (2016). The Electrification of Russia, 1880-1926. Cornell University Press.
- Coopersmith, J. (2015). Faxed: The rise and fall of the fax machine.
- Coopersmith, J. (2019). Where Do We Go from Here? Ensuring the Past and Future History of Space Conclusion. NASA AND THE LONG CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT. 233-243.
- Coopersmith, J. (2016). Fraud and Froth: Free-Riding the 3D Printing Wave. 3D PRINTING: LEGAL, PHILOSOPHICAL AND ECONOMIC DIMENSIONS. 137-152. Springer Nature.
- Coopersmith, J. (2005). The Soviet Union and Nazi Germany. Carlson, B. (Eds.), Technology in World History. 36-63. Oxford Univ Press.
- Carbajo, S., Coopersmith, J. C., Cushman, G., Felch, K., Lohr, J., Mikula, J., Rhodes, A., & Schamiloglu, E. (2020). Beamed Energy Propulsion for Low-Cost Launch to Earth Orbit: Paths for Progress. ASCEND 2020, ASCEND 2020.
- Rau, E., Nunn, G., & Coopersmith, J. C. (2020). To Boldly Preserve: Why We Need to Collect and Preserve the Next Stage of Space Exploration and Exploitation. ASCEND 2020, ASCEND 2020.
- Coopersmith, J. C., & Davis, E. (2016). A Strategic Roadmap for Commercializing Low-Cost Beamed Energy Propulsion Launch Systems. AIAA SPACE 2016, AIAA SPACE 2016.
- Coopersmith, J. (2012). A Florentine in in Paris: The Caselli pantelegraph and its successors, 1859-1871. 2012 THIRD IEEE HISTORY OF ELECTRO-TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE (HISTELCON), 2012 Third IEEE HISTory of ELectro-technology CONference (HISTELCON). 1-6.
- Coopersmith, J. (2010). Solar Power Satellites: Creating the Market for Beamed Energy Propulsion. BEAMED ENERGY PROPULSION, BEAMED ENERGY PROPULSION: 6th International Symposium. 1230(1), 103-110.
- Coopersmith, J. (2022). Its taking more time to cast a ballot in US elections and even longer for Black and Hispanic voters. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Holmes, C. (2020). Obstacles to voting: 6 essential reads on the challenges of election 2020. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Coopersmith, J. (2020). It takes a long time to vote. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Coopersmith, J. (2019). Can sun umbrellas ever become fashionable again in America?. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Coopersmith, J. (2019). Why do people still use fax machines?. - An article submitted to The Conversation
in the news
- How do fax machines work? Live Science November 28, 2020
- How The Google Lawsuit Will Affect The Future Of Technology Texas A&M Today November 10, 2020
- Election Tips And Resources Texas A&M Today October 22, 2020
awards and honors
recent teaching activities
- HIST336 Europe Since 1919 Instructor
- HIST336 Europe Since 1919-italy Instructor
- HIST360 Hist Energy In America Instructor
- HIST361 Tech & Eng In West Civ Instructor
- HIST364 Hist Amer Technology Instructor
chaired theses and dissertations
- Peterson, Tyler David (2017-05). A Fire to be Lighted: The Training of American Astronauts From 1959 to the Present. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Henning, Lori Ann (2015-05). Envisioning the Aeroplane: Comparing the Spectrum of Responses in the American and British Armies to a Technology without Precedent, 1903-1939. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Janzen, Mark Ryan (2010-12). The Cranberry Scare of 1959: The Beginning of the End of the Delaney Clause. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; History; 4236 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4236