My research focuses on the international politics of the Middle East, particularly the Arabian Peninsula and the Persian Gulf. I have written on the domestic politics of the Gulf monarchies and the phenomenon of monarchy in the region more generally, on oil and politics, on alliances and war decisions in the Middle East and on American foreign policy in the region.
- Gause, F. G. (2005). Can democracy stop terrorism?. FOREIGN AFFAIRS. 84(5), 62-76.
- Gause, F. G. (2004). Keeping it in the family . FOREIGN AFFAIRS. 83(3), 161-162.
- Gause, F. G. (2003). Balancing what? Threat perception and alliance choice in the Gulf. SECURITY STUDIES. 13(2), 273-305.
- Gause, F. G. (2003). L'antiaméricanisme en arabie saoudite. Critique Internationale. 18(1), 16-22.
- Gause, F. G. (2002). Be careful what you wish for the future of U.S.-Saudi relations. World Policy Journal. 19(1), 37-50.
- Gause, F. G. (2002). Iraq's decisions to go to war, 1980 and 1990. MIDDLE EAST JOURNAL. 56(1), 47-70.
- Gause, F. G., & Kramer, M. (2002). Who Lost Middle Eastern Studies? The Orientalists Strike Back. FOREIGN AFFAIRS. 81(2), 164-164.
- Gause, F. G. (2000). Saudi Arabia over a Barrel. FOREIGN AFFAIRS. 79(3), 80-80.
- Gause, F. G. (1999). Getting It Backward on Iraq. FOREIGN AFFAIRS. 78(3), 54-54.
- Gause, F. G. (2010). The international relations of the Persian Gulf. Cambridge University Press.
- Gause, F. G. (1994). Oil Monarchies Domestic and Security Challenges in the Arab Gulf States. Council on Foreign Relations.
- Gause, F. G. (1990). Saudi-Yemeni Relations Domestic Structures and Foreign Influence. Columbia University Press.
- Gregory Gause, F. (2018). From “Over the Horizon” to “Into the Backyard”: The US-Saudi relationship in the Gulf. The Middle East and the United States, Student Economy Edition: History, Politics, and Ideologies, UPDATED 2013 EDITION. (pp. 326-340). Routledge.
- Gregory Gause, F. (2018). From “Over the horizon” to “into the backyard”: The US-Saudi relationship in the Gulf. The Middle East and the United States: History, Politics, and Ideologies, UPDATED 2013 EDITION. (pp. 326-340). Routledge.
- Gause, F. G. (2015). Oil and political mobilization in Saudi Arabia. Haykel, B., Lacroix, S., & Hegghammer, T. (Eds.), Saudi Arabia in Transition: Insights on Social, Political, Economic and Religious Change. (pp. 13-30). Cambridge University Press.
- Gregory Gause, F. (2014). American policy in the persian gulf: From balance of power to failed hegemony. Gulf Politics and Economics in a Changing World. (pp. 181-196). World Scientific.
- Gause, F. G., & Windsor, J. L. (2010). Can spreading democracy help defeat terrorism?. Debating Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Conflicting Perspectives on Causes, Contexts, and Responses. (pp. 235-271). CQ Press.