My research focuses on the international politics of the Middle East, particularly the Arabian Peninsula and the Persian Gulf. I have written on the domestic politics of the Gulf monarchies and the phenomenon of monarchy in the region more generally, on oil and politics, on alliances and war decisions in the Middle East and on American foreign policy in the region.
- III, G. (2019). Challenged Hegemony: The United States, China, and Russia in the Persian Gulf. Political Science Quarterly. 134(1), 152-154.
- III, G. (2019). Should We Stay or Should We Go? The United States and the Middle East. SURVIVAL. 61(5), 7-24.
- III, G. (2019). \"Hegemony\" Compared: Great Britain and the United States in the Middle East. SECURITY STUDIES. 28(3), 565-587.
- III, G. (2018). Fresh Prince The Schemes and Dreams of Saudi Arabia's Next King. FOREIGN AFFAIRS. 97(3), 75-86.
- Gause, F. G. (2017). Desert kingdoms to global powers: the rise of the Arab Gulf.. INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS. 93(5), 1274-1275.
- III, G. (2017). Ideologies, Alignments, and Underbalancing in the New Middle East Cold War. PS: Political Science & Politics. 50(03), 672-675.
- III, G. (2016). Shifting Sands: The United States in the Middle East. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MIDDLE EAST STUDIES. 48(1), 188-189.
- III, G. (2016). The Future of US-Saudi Relations The Kingdom and the Power. FOREIGN AFFAIRS. 95(4), 114-126.
- III, G. (2015). Revolution and threat perception: Iran and the Middle East. International Politics. 52(5), 637-645.
- Gause, F. G., & Lustick, I. S. (2012). America and the Regional Powers in a Transforming Middle East. Middle East Policy. 19(2), 1-9.
- Yom, S. L., & III, G. (2012). RESILIENT ROYALS: HOW ARAB MONARCHIES HANG ON. JOURNAL OF DEMOCRACY. 23(4), 74-88.
- III, G. (2011). Why Middle East Studies Missed the Arab Spring The Myth of Authoritarian Stability. FOREIGN AFFAIRS. 90(4), 81- .
- Gause, F. G. (2011). Why middle east studies missed the Arab spring. FOREIGN AFFAIRS. 90(4),
- Gause, F. G. (2010). Pensee 3: Political Science and the Middle East. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MIDDLE EAST STUDIES. 42(1), 8-9.
- Gause, F. G. (2009). Islamists and the Grave Bell. National Interest. (103), 44-55.
- Gause, F. G. (2008). Making Islam democratic: Social movements and the post-Islamist turn. Contemporary Islam. 2(2), 165-167.
- Gause, F. G. (2007). Bahrain parliamentary election results: 25 November and 2 December 2006. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MIDDLE EAST STUDIES. 39(2), 170-171.
- Gause, F. G., Gasiorowski, M., Mattair, T. R., Russell, J. A., & Legrenzi, M. (2007). Mutual threat perceptions in the gulf: Introduction. Middle East Policy. 14(2), 117-118.
- Gause, F. G., Mohamedi, F., Molavi, A., White, W., & Cordesman, A. H. (2007). The future of the Middle East: Strategic implications for the United States. Middle East Policy. 14(3), 1-28.
- Gause, F. G. (2007). Threats and threat perceptions in the persian gulf region. Middle East Policy. 14(2), 119-124.
- Gause, F. G. (2005). Can democracy stop terrorism?. FOREIGN AFFAIRS. 84(5), 62-76.
- Gause, F. G. (2004). Keeping it in the family . FOREIGN AFFAIRS. 83(3), 161-162.
- Gause, F. G. (2003). Balancing what? Threat perception and alliance choice in the Gulf. SECURITY STUDIES. 13(2), 273-305.
- Gause, F. G. (2003). L'antiaméricanisme en arabie saoudite. Critique Internationale. 18(1), 16-22.
- Gause, F. G. (2002). Be careful what you wish for the future of U.S.-Saudi relations. World Policy Journal. 19(1), 37-50.
- Gause, F. G. (2010). The international relations of the Persian Gulf. Cambridge University Press.
- Gause, F. G. (1994). Oil Monarchies Domestic and Security Challenges in the Arab Gulf States. Council on Foreign Relations.
- Gause, F. G. (1990). Saudi-Yemeni Relations Domestic Structures and Foreign Influence. Columbia University Press.
- Gregory Gause, F. (2018). From “Over the Horizon” to “Into the Backyard”: The US-Saudi relationship in the Gulf. The Middle East and the United States, Student Economy Edition: History, Politics, and Ideologies, UPDATED 2013 EDITION. (pp. 326-340). Routledge.
- Gregory Gause, F. (2018). From “Over the horizon” to “into the backyard”: The US-Saudi relationship in the Gulf. The Middle East and the United States: History, Politics, and Ideologies, UPDATED 2013 EDITION. (pp. 326-340). Routledge.
- Gause, F. G. (2015). Oil and political mobilization in Saudi Arabia. Haykel, B., Lacroix, S., & Hegghammer, T. (Eds.), Saudi Arabia in Transition: Insights on Social, Political, Economic and Religious Change. (pp. 13-30). Cambridge University Press.
- Gregory Gause, F. (2014). American policy in the persian gulf: From balance of power to failed hegemony. Gulf Politics and Economics in a Changing World. (pp. 181-196). World Scientific.
- Gause, F. G., & Windsor, J. L. (2010). Can spreading democracy help defeat terrorism?. Debating Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Conflicting Perspectives on Causes, Contexts, and Responses. (pp. 235-271). CQ Press.