- Faculty Affiliate, Albritton Center for Grand Strategy, Texas A&M University, Bush School of Government and Public Service
- Faculty Affiliate, Energy Institute, Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES), Division of Research
- Professor and Head, International Affairs, Bush School of Government and Public Service
My research focuses on the international politics of the Middle East, particularly the Arabian Peninsula and the Persian Gulf. I have written on the domestic politics of the Gulf monarchies and the phenomenon of monarchy in the region more generally, on oil and politics, on alliances and war decisions in the Middle East and on American foreign policy in the region.
- Patterson, A., Rudman, M., Vakil, S., & Gause, F. G. (2020). Progress or Conflict? What to Expect for U.S. Policy in the Middle East. Middle East Policy. 27(3), 5-29.
- Gause, F. G. (2019). Should We Stay or Should We Go? The United States and the Middle East. Survival. 61(5), 7-24.
- Gause, F. G. (2019). “Hegemony” Compared: Great Britain and the United States in the Middle East. Security Studies. 28(3), 1-23.
- Gause, F. G. (2019). Challenged Hegemony: The United States, China, and Russia in the Persian Gulf by Steven A. Yetiv and Katerina Oskarsson. Stanford, CA, Stanford University Press, 2018. 256 pp. Paper, $29.95.. Political Science Quarterly. 134(1), 152-154.
- III, G. (2018). Fresh Prince The Schemes and Dreams of Saudi Arabia's Next King. FOREIGN AFFAIRS. 97(3), 75-86.
- Gause, F. (2009). The International Relations of the Persian Gulf. Cambridge University Press.
- Gause, F. G. (1994). Oil Monarchies Domestic and Security Challenges in the Arab Gulf States. Council on Foreign Relations.
- Gause, F. G. (1990). Saudi-Yemeni Relations Domestic Structures and Foreign Influence. Columbia University Press.
- Gregory Gause, F. (2018). From “Over the Horizon” to “Into the Backyard”: The US-Saudi relationship in the Gulf. The Middle East and the United States, Student Economy Edition: History, Politics, and Ideologies, UPDATED 2013 EDITION. (pp. 326-340). Routledge.
- Gregory Gause, F. (2018). From “Over the horizon” to “into the backyard”: The US-Saudi relationship in the Gulf. The Middle East and the United States: History, Politics, and Ideologies, UPDATED 2013 EDITION. (pp. 326-340). Routledge.
- Gregory Gause, F. (2015). Oil and Political Mobilization in Saudi Arabia. Haykel, B., Lacroix, S., & Hegghammer, T. (Eds.), Saudi Arabia in Transition. (pp. 13-30). Cambridge University Press.
- Gregory Gause, F. (2014). American Policy in the Persian Gulf: From Balance of Power to Failed Hegemony. Gulf Politics and Economics in a Changing World. (pp. 181-196). World Scientific.
- Windsor, J. L. (2010). Can Spreading Democracy Help Defeat Terrorism?. Debating Terrorism and Counterterrorism: Conflicting Perspectives on Causes, Contexts, and Responses. (pp. 235-271). CQ Press.