- Director, Gastrointestinal Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
- Professor, Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
My veterinary career has mainly focused on two aspects, patient care and clinically-relevant research. As a veterinary clinician and clinical teacher I am exposed to a wide variety of canine and feline patients with complex medical conditions. These patients serve as a constant source of new clinical problems that beckon to be studied further. Sometimes these studies are merely clinical, relating to characterization of an uncommon condition, diagnosis of a difficult-to-diagnose condition, or a novel therapeutic approach to a well-described condition. In other instances studies that are spurred by clinical cases are more basic-science based, utilizing state-of-the-art technologies to further evaluate the etiology or pathogenesis of a disease. In some instances, studies may provide comparative aspects related to experimental animals, such as rodents or primates, or even to human patients with similar conditions. I believe that my role as a mentor can be unique in that I can help graduate students bridge the gap between science and clinical aspects and between veterinary and human medical interests - giving us further opportunities to advance the concept of one-health.
- Werner, M., Suchodolski, J. S., Straubinger, R. K., Wolf, G., Steiner, J. M., Lidbury, J. A., ... Unterer, S. (2020). Effect of amoxicillin-clavulanic acid on clinical scores, intestinal microbiome, and amoxicillin-resistant Escherichia coli in dogs with uncomplicated acute diarrhea. JOURNAL OF VETERINARY INTERNAL MEDICINE.
- Kuhl, A., Odunayo, A., Price, J., Hecht, S., Marshall, K., Steiner, J., & Tolbert, M. K. (2020). Comparative analysis of the effect of IV administered acid suppressants on gastric pH in dogs.. JOURNAL OF VETERINARY INTERNAL MEDICINE.
- Cridge, H., Mackin, A. J., Lidbury, J. A., Suchodolski, J. S., & Steiner, J. M. (2020). Comparative repeatability of pancreatic lipase assays in the commercial and in-house laboratory environments.. JOURNAL OF VETERINARY INTERNAL MEDICINE.
- Marsilio, S., Newman, S. J., Estep, J. S., Giaretta, P. R., Lidbury, J. A., Warry, E., ... Steiner, J. M. (2020). Differentiation of lymphocytic-plasmacytic enteropathy and small cell lymphoma in cats using histology-guided mass spectrometry.. JOURNAL OF VETERINARY INTERNAL MEDICINE.
- Xenoulis, P. G., Cammarata, P. J., Walzem, R. L., Suchodolski, J. S., & Steiner, J. M. (2020). Serum triglyceride and cholesterol concentrations and lipoprotein profiles in dogs with naturally occurring pancreatitis and healthy control dogs. JOURNAL OF VETERINARY INTERNAL MEDICINE. 34(2), 644-652.
- Steiner, J. M., & Meyer, D. J. (2012). Laboratory Approach. Canine and Feline Gastroenterology. (pp. 177-204). Elsevier.
- Johnson, S. E., Szatmari, V., Pastor, J., Planellas, M., Greco, D. S., Rondeau, M. P., ... Watson, P. (2012). Liver. Canine and Feline Gastroenterology. (pp. 849-957). Elsevier.
- Hahn, K. (2012). Pancreas. Canine and Feline Gastroenterology. (pp. 799-848). Elsevier.
- Ruaux, C. G., Steiner, J. M., & Williams, D. A. (2008). The Gastrointestinal Tract. Feline Medicine and Therapeutics: Third Edition. (pp. 397-434). Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Mila, H., Grellet, A., Mariani, C., Feugier, A., Guard, B., Suchodolski, J., Steiner, J., & Chastant-Maillard, S. (2017). Natural and artificial hyperimmune solutions: Impact on health in puppies. Reproduction in Domestic Animals. 52, 163-169.
- Busch, K., Suchodolski, J. S., Kuehner, K. A., Minamoto, Y., Steiner, J. M., Mueller, R. S., Hartmann, K., & Unterer, S. (2015). Clostridium perfringens enterotoxin and Clostridium difficile toxin A/B do not play a role in acute haemorrhagic diarrhoea syndrome in dogs. The Veterinary record. 176(10), 253- .
- Cook, A. K., Wright, Z. M., Suchodolski, J. S., Brown, M. R., & Steiner, J. M. (2009). Prevalence and prognostic impact of hypocobalaminemia in dogs with lymphoma. JAVMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION. 235(12), 1437-1441.
- Heilmann, R. M., Suchodolski, J. S., & Steiner, J. M. (2008). Development and analytic validation of a radioimmunoassay for the quantification of canine calprotectin in serum and feces from dogs. American journal of veterinary research. 69(7), 845-853.
- Stoll, A., Suchodolski, J. S., Ruaux, C. G., & Steiner, J. M. (2007). Purification and partial characterization of canine neutrophil elastase and the development of an immunoassay for the measurement of canine neutrophil elastase in serum obtained from dogs. American journal of veterinary research. 68(6), 584-591.
- Bridges, Cory Seth (2017-05). Development and Analytical Validation of a Radioimmunoassay for the Measurement of Trypsin-like Immunoreactivity in Ferret Serum. (Master's Thesis)
- Lidbury, Jonathan Andrew (2015-12). Canine Chronic Hepatitis: Diagnostic Evaluation and Complicating Syndromes. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Burke, Kathrin (2012-08). Development and Analytical Validation of an Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) for the Measurement of Feline Alpha1-proteinase Inhibitor (fa1-PI) in Serum and Feces and the Evaluation of Fecal fa1-PI Concentrations in Cats with Idiopathic Inflammatory Bowel Disease or Gastrointestinal Neoplasia. (Master's Thesis)