- Director, Gastrointestinal Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Texas A&M University
- Professor, Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
My veterinary career has mainly focused on two aspects, patient care and clinically-relevant research. As a veterinary clinician and clinical teacher I am exposed to a wide variety of canine and feline patients with complex medical conditions. These patients serve as a constant source of new clinical problems that beckon to be studied further. Sometimes these studies are merely clinical, relating to characterization of an uncommon condition, diagnosis of a difficult-to-diagnose condition, or a novel therapeutic approach to a well-described condition. In other instances studies that are spurred by clinical cases are more basic-science based, utilizing state-of-the-art technologies to further evaluate the etiology or pathogenesis of a disease. In some instances, studies may provide comparative aspects related to experimental animals, such as rodents or primates, or even to human patients with similar conditions. I believe that my role as a mentor can be unique in that I can help graduate students bridge the gap between science and clinical aspects and between veterinary and human medical interests - giving us further opportunities to advance the concept of one-health.
- Cridge, H., Lupiano, H., Nipper, J. D., Mackin, A. J., & Steiner, J. M. (2021). Efficacy of a low‐dose praziquantel and fenbendazole protocol in the treatment of asymptomatic schistosomiasis in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Price, T. R., Baskaran, S. A., Moncada, K. L., Minamoto, Y., Klemashevich, C., Jayuraman, A., ... Walzem, R. L. (2021). Whole and Isolated Protein Fractions Differentially Affect Gastrointestinal Integrity Markers in C57Bl/6 Mice Fed Diets with a Moderate-Fat Content. Nutrients. 13(4), 1251-1251.
- Forman, M. A., Steiner, J. M., Armstrong, P. J., Camus, M. S., Gaschen, L., Hill, S. L., Mansfield, C. S., & Steiger, K. (2021). ACVIM consensus statement on pancreatitis in cats. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 35(2), 703-723.
- Marsilio, S., Dröes, F. C., Dangott, L., Chow, B., Hill, S., Ackermann, M., ... Steiner, J. M. (2021). Characterization of the intestinal mucosal proteome in cats with inflammatory bowel disease and alimentary small cell lymphoma. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 35(1), 179-189.
- Toresson, L., Steiner, J. M., Spodsberg, E., Olmedal, G., Suchodolski, J. S., Lidbury, J. A., & Spillmann, T. (2021). Effects of oral cobalamin supplementation on serum cobalamin concentrations in dogs with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency: A pilot study. VETERINARY JOURNAL. 269, 105619-105619.
- Suchodolski, J. S., Heilmann, R. M., Steiner, J. M., & Meyer, D. J. (2012). Laboratory Approach. Canine and Feline Gastroenterology. (pp. 177-204). Elsevier.
- Washabau, R. J., Meyer, H. P., Rothuizen, J., Lidbury, J. A., Steiner, J. M., Richter, K., ... Watson, P. (2012). Liver. Canine and Feline Gastroenterology. (pp. 849-957). Elsevier.
- Washabau, R. J., Xenoulis, P. G., Steiner, J. M., Schaer, M., Wiberg, M., Axiak, S., & Hahn, K. (2012). Pancreas. Canine and Feline Gastroenterology. (pp. 799-848). Elsevier.
- Ruaux, C. G., Steiner, J. M., & Williams, D. A. (2004). The Gastrointestinal Tract. Feline Medicine and Therapeutics. (pp. 397-434). Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Mila, H., Grellet, A., Mariani, C., Feugier, A., Guard, B., Suchodolski, J., Steiner, J., & Chastant‐Maillard, S. (2016). Natural and artificial hyperimmune solutions: Impact on health in puppies. Reproduction in Domestic Animals. 52(S2), 163-169.
- Busch, K., Suchodolski, J. S., Kühner, K. A., Minamoto, Y., Steiner, J. M., Mueller, R. S., Hartmann, K., & Unterer, S. (2015). Clostridium perfringens enterotoxin and Clostridium difficile toxin A/B do not play a role in acute haemorrhagic diarrhoea syndrome in dogs. VETERINARY RECORD. 176(10), 253-+.
- Cook, A. K., Wright, Z. M., Suchodolski, J. S., Brown, M. R., & Steiner, J. M. (2009). Prevalence and prognostic impact of hypocobalaminemia in dogs with lymphoma.. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 235(12), 1437-1441.
- Heilmann, R. M., Suchodolski, J. S., & Steiner, J. M. (2008). Development and analytic validation of a radioimmunoassay for the quantification of canine calprotectin in serum and feces from dogs.. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF VETERINARY RESEARCH. 69(7), 845-853.
- Stoll, A., Suchodolski, J. S., Ruaux, C. G., & Steiner, J. M. (2007). Purification and partial characterization of canine neutrophil elastase and the development of an immunoassay for the measurement of canine neutrophil elastase in serum obtained from dogs.. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF VETERINARY RESEARCH. 68(6), 584-591.
- Association of Former Students University-Level Distinguished Achievement Award, The conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - for Extension, Outreach, Continuing Education and Professional Development 2020
- Joseph Cyrus, FNU (2018-08). Serum and Fecal Markers of Chronic Lymphocytic Enteritis in the Common Marmoset (Callithrix Jacchus). (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Minamoto, Tomomi (2018-05). Lipoprotein Profiling in Dogs and Cats with Gastrointestinal Disease or Hepatic Disease. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Bridges, Cory Seth (2017-05). Development and Analytical Validation of a Radioimmunoassay for the Measurement of Trypsin-like Immunoreactivity in Ferret Serum. (Master's Thesis)
- Lidbury, Jonathan Andrew (2015-12). Canine Chronic Hepatitis: Diagnostic Evaluation and Complicating Syndromes. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Burke, Kathrin (2012-08). Development and Analytical Validation of an Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) for the Measurement of Feline Alpha1-proteinase Inhibitor (fa1-PI) in Serum and Feces and the Evaluation of Fecal fa1-PI Concentrations in Cats with Idiopathic Inflammatory Bowel Disease or Gastrointestinal Neoplasia. (Master's Thesis)