My research explores the role of open access and open science practices on the translation of agricultural research into societal impact, the ethical evaluation of academic research, advancing open education, and programs that support the sustainability of rural communities.
Previously, I served as the Director of the Office of Scholarly Communications in the Sterling C. Evans library At Texas A&M University. As Director, I was responsible for strengthening the Library's efforts in scholarly communications and open access through engagement and collaboration with the faculty across campus at Texas A&M University. In addition, we developed library services that support interdisciplinary research teams and enhance research translation and the societal impact of Texas A&M's research.
My earlier scientific research explored questions concerning biogeochemical processes that mediate the interactions between human society and ecosystems, including the fate and bioavailability of contaminants, natural and human perturbations of nutrient and organic carbon, and human impacts on ecosystem functioning.
In addition, I actively pursued research that characterized human understanding of complex earth systems; the professional development of future faculty and teachers; and the design of tertiary educational programs that promote learning for all students, develop synergy between educational and research activities, and address major societal issues. I have served as the Associate Director of Geosciences in the NSF-supported Information Technology in Science (ITS) Center for Learning and Teaching at Texas A&M University, the principal investigator of the NSF Teacher Professional Continuum program entitled Professional Learning Community Model for Alternative Pathways in Teaching Science and Mathematics, PLC-MAP, and co-PI of the NSF-sponsored CIRTL Network - Shaping, Connecting, and Supporting the Future National STEM Faculty.
- Ph.D. in Soil Science, University of California, Riverside - (Riverside, California, United States) 1992
- M.S. in Soil Science, University of California, Riverside - (Riverside, California, United States) 1988
- B.A. in Chemistry, Colgate University - (Hamilton, New York, United States) 1982
- Kimball, R., Halling, D., Neville, B., & Herbert, B. (2022). Motivations and barriers in the adoption of OERs: The role of subject librarians. JOURNAL OF ACADEMIC LIBRARIANSHIP. (4), 102542-102542.
- Kimball, R., Halling, D., Neville, B., & Herbert, B. (2022). OASES: The role of subject librarians in an effective campus OER program. JOURNAL OF ACADEMIC LIBRARIANSHIP. (3), 102518-102518.
- Nickles, G. M., & Herbert, B. (2022). Operationalizing Centerness and Measuring It in Professional Development Teams. Journal of Educational Research and Practice. 12(1),
- Lowe, D. B., Dollinger, I., Koster, T., & Herbert, B. E. (2021). Text Mining for Type of Research Classification. CATALOGING & CLASSIFICATION QUARTERLY. (8), 815-834.
- Herbert, B. E., & Kaspar, W. A. (2019). Authorship and the Consideration of Alternatives. COLLEGE & RESEARCH LIBRARIES. 80(1), 2-7.
- Herbert, B., Little, D., Nair, S., & Markley, C. (2009). Site-Specific Risk Assessment of Sulfate Induced Heave in Lime-Stabilized Clay Soils. Iskander, M., Laefer, D. F., & Hussein, M. H. (Eds.), Contemporary Topics in Ground Modification, Problem Soils, and Geo-support. Selected Papers from the 2009 International Foundation Congress and Equipment Expo, March 15-19, 2009, Orlando, Florida. 558-565. American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
- HERBERT, B. E., & BERTSCH, P. M. (1995). Characterization of dissolved and colloidal organic matter in soil solution: a review. McFee, W. W., & Kelly, J. M. (Eds.), Carbon Forms and Functions in Forest Soils. 63-88. Soil Science Society of America.
- Sandoval, M., Natarajarathinam, M., Holder, L., McDougal, M., Campbell, M., & Herbert, B. (2017). Engagement in Practice: Building service focused multidisciplinary groups to develop adaptable solutions. 2017 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition Proceedings, 2017 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition Proceedings. 2017-June,
- Holder, L. N., Scherer, H. H., & Herbert, B. (2017). STUDENT LEARNING OF COMPLEX EARTH SYSTEMS: A MODEL TO GUIDE DEVELOPMENT OF STUDENT EXPERTISE IN PROBLEM SOLVING. Abstracts with programs (Geological Society of America), GSA Annual Meeting in Seattle, Washington, USA - 2017.
- Herbert, B. E., McDonald, T. J., Conti, E., & Moffitt, A. E. (2015). Quantification of in situ polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon biodegradation using conservative internal markers. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 211, 66-ENVR.
- Allan, K. A., Herbert, B. E., Morris, P. J., & McDonald, T. J. (2014). Biodegradation of petroleum in two soils: Implications for hydrocarbon bioavailability. IN SITU AND ON-SITE BIOREMEDIATION, VOL 5. 4(5)(5), 629-634.
- Harvey, O. R., Herbert, B. E., Rhue, R. D., & Kuo, L. (2010). Metal interactions at the biochar-water interface: Energetics and composition-sorption relationship elucidated by flow adsorption micro-calorimetry. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 240,
Repository Documents / Preprints47
- Herbert, B. E. (2022). Faculty Reputation & Impact: Library Systems Information Sheets.
- Herbert, B. E. (2022). PIVOT:Funding Database Available Through the Library Instructions.
- Herbert, B. E. (2022). Publish Open Access Info Sheets.
- McGeachin, R., & Herbert, B. (2021). OAK Fund Annual Report: 2020-2021.
- Herbert, B., Guillaumet, A., Wheeler, T., Hahn, D., & Trimmer, J. (2021). A VIVO Community Update: Reflections on the Last Year and Where We Are Headed..
- Hammond, T., Watson, K., Brumbelow, K., Fields, S., Shryock, K., Chamberland, J., ... Herbert, B. (2020). A Survey to Measure the Effects of Forced Transition to 100% Online Learning on Community Sharing, Feelings of Social Isolation, Equity, Resilience, and Learning Content During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Gardiner, Nathan Thomas (2019-05). Characterizing the Evolution Of Fire Induced Hydrophobicity In the Post-Fire And Evaluation Of Ash and Char as Potential Sources of Hydrophobicity. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Maulana, Ivan (2016-05). Basin Geochemical Evolution of the Eagle Ford and Effects on Trace Element Release. (Master's Thesis)
- McBee, Jayme M (2014-05). Biogeochemistry of Isotopically-distinct Sources of Lead in a Former WWII Aerial Gunnery Range. (Master's Thesis)
- McClure, Roberta 1981- (2012-12). Mineralogy and Geochemistry of Pb, Zn and Ag Mine Tailings Originating From Carbonate-Rich Deposits. (Master's Thesis)
- Miller, Heather (2012-08). The Development and Use of Conceptual Models of Complex Earth Systems for Environmental Managment and Earth Science Education. (Doctoral Dissertation)