Research in our laboratory is focused on the role of functional food bioactives in modulating immune response and in the prevention of age-related chronic diseases. Specifically, we study how food bioactives such as carotenoids and polyphenolics can alleviate inflammation-induced chronic diseases such as diseases such as mammary cancer, cardiovascular diseases, rheumatoid arthritis, gastrointestinal disorders, and urinary tract infection. In addition, we are interested in understanding how functional foods serve as prebiotics in promoting intestinal health. Research models used include human clinical trials, various large and small animals, and in vitro cultures. For example, we have shown that carotenoids possess anti-tumor action by reducing the production of reactive oxygen species, modulating apoptotic genes, inhibiting angiogenesis, reducing various inflammatory biomarkers, and controlling inflammation-related gene products.
- University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign - (Urbana, Illinois, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1979
- Ph.D. in , Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 1978
- M.S. in , Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 1976
- B.S. in , Louisiana State University - (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States) 1974
- Kim, S., Mertens-Talcott, S. U., Vaidya, B., Venancio, V. P., Cho, S., Song, J., ... Kim, D. (2020). Performance of concanavalin A-immobilized on polyacrylate beads for the detection of human norovirus and hepatitis A virus in fecal specimens. Food Science and Biotechnology. 29(12), 1727-1733.
- Layosa, M., Lage, N. N., Chew, B. P., Atienza, L., Mertens-Talcott, S., Talcott, S., & Noratto, G. D. (2020). Dark Sweet Cherry (Prunus avium) Phenolics Enriched in Anthocyanins Induced Apoptosis in MDA-MB-453 Breast Cancer Cells through MAPK-Dependent Signaling and Reduced Invasion via Akt and PLCγ-1 Downregulation. Nutrition and Cancer. 1-13.
- Noratto, G., Layosa, M. A., Lage, N. N., Atienza, L., Ivanov, I., Mertens-Talcott, S. U., & Chew, B. P. (2020). Antitumor potential of dark sweet cherry sweet (Prunus avium) phenolics in suppressing xenograft tumor growth of MDA-MB-453 breast cancer cells. The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. 84, 108437-108437.
- Lage, N. N., Layosa, M., Arbizu, S., Chew, B. P., Pedrosa, M. L., Mertens-Talcott, S., Talcott, S., & Noratto, G. D. (2020). Dark sweet cherry (Prunus avium) phenolics enriched in anthocyanins exhibit enhanced activity against the most aggressive breast cancer subtypes without toxicity to normal breast cells. Journal of Functional Foods. 64, 103710-103710.
- Chew, B., Mathison, B., Kimble, L., McKay, D., Kaspar, K., Khoo, C., Chen, C., & Blumberg, J. (2019). Chronic consumption of a low calorie, high polyphenol cranberry beverage attenuates inflammation and improves glucoregulation and HDL cholesterol in healthy overweight humans: a randomized controlled trial. European Journal of Nutrition. 58(3), 1223-1235.
- Noratto, G., Garcia-Mazcorro, J., Chew, B. P., & Mertens-Talcott, S. U. (2017). Dietary Supplementation with Raspberry Whole Fruit Modifies the Relative Abundance of Fecal Microbial Communities in Obese Diabetic (db/db) Mice. FASEB J. 31,
- Noratto, G., Chew, B. P., & Mertens-Talcott, S. U. (2017). Red Sweet Cherry Ameliorates Inflammation in Obese Diabetic (db/db) Mice. FASEB J. 31,
- Fournier, L. R., Ryan Borchers, T. A., Robison, L. M., Wiediger, M., Park, J. S., Chew, B. P., ... Beerman, K. A. (2007). The effects of soy milk and isoflavone supplements on cognitive performance in healthy, postmenopausal women.. The journal of nutrition, health & aging. 11(2), 155-164.
- Ritzenthaler, K. L., McGuire, M. K., McGuire, M. A., Shultz, T. D., Koepp, A. E., Luedecke, L. O., ... Chew, B. P. (2005). Consumption of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) from CLA-enriched cheese does not alter milk fat or immunity in lactating women.. JOURNAL OF NUTRITION. 135(3), 422-430.
- Chew, B. P., & Park, J. S. (2004). Carotenoid action on the immune response.. JOURNAL OF NUTRITION. 134(1), 257s-261s.