Research in our laboratory is focused on the role of functional food bioactives in modulating immune response and in the prevention of age-related chronic diseases. Specifically, we study how food bioactives such as carotenoids and polyphenolics can alleviate inflammation-induced chronic diseases such as diseases such as mammary cancer, cardiovascular diseases, rheumatoid arthritis, gastrointestinal disorders, and urinary tract infection. In addition, we are interested in understanding how functional foods serve as prebiotics in promoting intestinal health. Research models used include human clinical trials, various large and small animals, and in vitro cultures. For example, we have shown that carotenoids possess anti-tumor action by reducing the production of reactive oxygen species, modulating apoptotic genes, inhibiting angiogenesis, reducing various inflammatory biomarkers, and controlling inflammation-related gene products.
- University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign - (Urbana, Illinois, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1979
- Ph.D. in , Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 1978
- M.S. in , Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 1976
- B.S. in , Louisiana State University - (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States) 1974
- Lage, N. N., Layosa, M., Arbizu, S., Chew, B. P., Pedrosa, M. L., Mertens-Talcott, S., Talcott, S., & Noratto, G. D. (2020). Dark sweet cherry (Prunus avium) phenolics enriched in anthocyanins exhibit enhanced activity against the most aggressive breast cancer subtypes without toxicity to normal breast cells. Journal of Functional Foods. 64, 103710-103710.
- Garcia-Mazcorro, J. F., Pedreschi, R., Yuan, J., Kawas, J. R., Chew, B., Dowd, S. E., & Noratto, G. (2019). Apple consumption is associated with a distinctive microbiota, proteomics and metabolomics profile in the gut of Dawley Sprague rats fed a high-fat diet.. PLoS ONE. 14(3), e0212586-e0212586.
- Chew, B., Mathison, B., Kimble, L., McKay, D., Kaspar, K., Khoo, C., Chen, C., & Blumberg, J. (2019). Chronic consumption of a low calorie, high polyphenol cranberry beverage attenuates inflammation and improves glucoregulation and HDL cholesterol in healthy overweight humans: a randomized controlled trial. Eur J Nutr. 58(3), 1223-1235.
- Noratto, G. D., Murphy, K., & Chew, B. P. (2019). Quinoa intake reduces plasma and liver cholesterol, lessens obesity-associated inflammation, and helps to prevent hepatic steatosis in obese db/db mouse. FOOD CHEMISTRY. 287, 107-114.
- Auker, K. M., Coleman, C. M., Wang, M., Avula, B., Bonnet, S. L., Kimble, L. L., ... Ferreira, D. (2019). Structural Characterization of Cranberry Arabinoxyloglucan Oligosaccharides.. J Nat Prod. 82(3), 606-620.
- Noratto, G., Garcia-Mazcorro, J., Chew, B. P., & Mertens-Talcott, S. U. (2017). Dietary Supplementation with Raspberry Whole Fruit Modifies the Relative Abundance of Fecal Microbial Communities in Obese Diabetic (db/db) Mice. The FASEB Journal. 31,
- Noratto, G., Chew, B. P., & Mertens-Talcott, S. U. (2017). Red Sweet Cherry Ameliorates Inflammation in Obese Diabetic (db/db) Mice. The FASEB Journal. 31,
- Fournier, L. R., Ryan Borchers, T. A., Robison, L. M., Wiediger, M., Park, J. S., Chew, B. P., ... Beerman, K. A. (2007). The effects of soy milk and isoflavone supplements on cognitive performance in healthy, postmenopausal women.. JOURNAL OF NUTRITION HEALTH & AGING. 11(2), 155-164.
- Ritzenthaler, K. L., McGuire, M. K., McGuire, M. A., Shultz, T. D., Koepp, A. E., Luedecke, L. O., ... Chew, B. P. (2005). Consumption of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) from CLA-enriched cheese does not alter milk fat or immunity in lactating women.. JOURNAL OF NUTRITION. 135(3), 422-430.
- Chew, B. P., & Park, J. S. (2004). Carotenoid action on the immune response.. JOURNAL OF NUTRITION. 134(1), 257S-261S.