My research broadly focuses on the factors controlling hyperplastic and neoplastic cholangiocyte proliferation. Cholangiocytes are the epithelial cells that line in the intra- and extra-hepatic bile ducts and that are responsible for the modification of ductal bile.; These cells are the target of cholestatic liver diseases such as primary biliary cirrhosis and primary sclerosing cholangitis, and are characterized by cholangiocyte proliferation and/or loss. This class of liver disease represents the first major indicator for liver transplantation in children and the third major indicator in adults. The neoplastic transformation of cholangiocytes into the malignant counterpart gives rise to cholangiocarcinoma, which has very few effective treatment options and poor prognosis. Thus, factors that affect the hyperplastic and neoplastic cholangiocyte proliferation may lead to novel treatment paradigms.
- Scott & White Memorial Hospital - (Temple, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2005
- Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz - (Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany), Postdoctoral Training 2003
- Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry - (Munich, Germany), Postdoctoral Training 2000
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, University of Queensland - (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) 1999
- B.Sc. in Biochemistry, University of Queensland - (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) 1994
- DeMorrow, S. (2019). Concise Commentary: Staying True to Typeâ€”The Increasing Inpatient Burden of Hepatic Encephalopathy. Digestive Diseases and Sciences.
- McMillin, M., Grant, S., Frampton, G., Petrescu, A. D., Williams, E., Jefferson, B., ... DeMorrow, S. (2019). Elevated circulating TGF beta 1 during acute liver failure activates TGF beta R2 on cortical neurons and exacerbates neuroinflammation and hepatic encephalopathy in mice. JOURNAL OF NEUROINFLAMMATION. 16(1), 69.
- Heavener, T., Memon, A., Khan, S., Davis, S., Sager, L., DeMorrow, S., & Jeffries, M. (2019). Testing of the ability of the nonalcoholic fatty liver disease fibrosis score to predict 1-year all-cause hospital admission. Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings. 1-4.
- DeMorrow, S. (2018). Bile Acids in Hepatic Encephalopathy. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology.
- Kennedy, L., Hargrove, L., Demieville, J., Karstens, W., Jones, H., DeMorrow, S., ... Francis, H. (2018). Blocking H1/H2 histamine receptors inhibits damage/fibrosis in Mdr2â€“/â€“mice and human cholangiocarcinoma tumorigenesis. Hepatology. 68(3), 1042-1056.
- DeMorrow, S., Francis, H., Marzioni, M., Leyva-Illades, D., Han, Y., & Alpini, G. (2014). Cholangiocarcinoma. Pathobiology of Human Disease: A Dynamic Encyclopedia of Disease Mechanisms. (pp. 1894-1911).
- Demorrow, S., & Butterworth, R. F. (2014). Hepatic encephalopathy: A primary neurogliopathy. Pathological Potential of Neuroglia: Possible New Targets for Medical Intervention. (pp. 351-372).
- Alpini, G., & DeMorrow, S. (2009). CHANGES IN THE ENDOCANNABINOID SYSTEM MAY GIVE INSIGHT INTO NEW AND EFFECTIVE TREATMENTS FOR CANCER. FOLIC ACID AND FOLATES. VITAMINS AND HORMONES: ANANDAMIDE AN ENDOGENOUS CANNABINOID. (pp. 469-485). Elsevier.