My research focuses on observations and models of shelf, coastal and marginal seas; western boundary currents; tides and tidal power schemes; ocean observing systems; ecosystem dynamics and sustainability.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Physical Oceanography, University of Miami - (Coral Gables, Florida, United States) 1975
- M.S. in Ocean Engineering (Acoustics), University of Miami - (Coral Gables, Florida, United States) 1971
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, University of Maine - (Orono, Maine, United States) 1965
- Spencer, L. J., DiMarco, S. F., Wang, Z., Kuehl, J. J., & Brooks, D. A. (2016). Asymmetric oceanic response to a hurricane: Deep water observations during Hurricane Isaac. Journal of Geophysical Research Oceans. 121(10), 7619-7649.
- Brooks, D. A. (2011). The hydrokinetic power resource in a tidal estuary: The Kennebec River of the central Maine coast. RENEWABLE ENERGY. 36(5), 1492-1501.
- Brooks, D. A. (2009). Circulation and dispersion in a cancellate coast: The rivers, bays and estuaries of central Maine. Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science. 83(3), 313-325.
- Brooks, D. A. (2006). The tidal-stream energy resource in Passamaquoddy-Cobscook Bays: A fresh look at an old story. RENEWABLE ENERGY. 31(14), 2284-2295.
- Brooks, D. A. (2004). Modeling tidal circulation and exchange in Cobscook Bay, Maine. Northeastern Naturalist. 11(sp2), 23-50.
- Brooks, D. A., Baca, M. W., Lo, Y. T., IEEE, .., & IEEE, .. (1998). Sustainable salmon aquaculture and tidal flushing in a macrotidal ecosystem: Cobscook Bay, Maine. OCEANS 2012 MTS/IEEE: Harnessing the Power of the Ocean. 2, 977-982.
- Brooks, D., & Churchill, L. (1992). Experiments with a terrain-following hydrodynamic model for Cobscook Bay in the Gulf of Maine. 215-226.
- Bane, J. M., Brooks, D. A., Lorenson, K. R., & Seay, C. M. (1980). The Gulf Stream meanders experiment. AXBT/PRT data report, R/A project Birdseye flights, 9-18 February 1979. Technical report..
chaired theses and dissertations
- Paul, Ephraim Udo (2014-08). Development and Implementation of a Composite Model for Wave, Circulation, and Sediment Processes in Ibaka Deep Seaport in Nigeria. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Gay, Shelton Mann (2013-12). Estuarine Conditions and Water Exchange in Fjords of Prince William Sound, Alaska. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Leung, Pak Tao (2011-12). Coastal Microstructure: From Active Overturn to Fossil Turbulence. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Manikantan, Arun (2009-12). Comparing Methods for Measuring the Volume of Sand Excaveted by a Laboratory Cutter Suction Dredge Using an Instrumented Hopper Barge and a Laser Profiler. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; Oceanography; 3146 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-3146