My primary interests include Cancer; Oncogenes; Tumor Suppressor; Genes Programmed Cell Death (apoptosis); Chemoresistance, and Angiogenesis. My laboratory studies mechanisms of evolution of chemoresistance in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL). One current primary objective is to conduct a Phase I study that (1) confirms RTI-79 safety in platinum-resistant/refractory ovarian cancer patients, and (2) demonstrates signals of efficacy in humans (ex: time-to-disease progression and changes in CA125 biomarker). A second objective is to better define the RTI-79 mechanism of action (MOA) by (1) determining how RTI-79 causes a rapid burst in superoxides, and (2) elucidating the basis of Nrf-2 pathway downregulation.
- Baylor College of Medicine - (Houston, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1990
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - (Houston, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1987
- Ph.D. in Molecular Virology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston - (Houston, Texas, United States) 1985
- M.S. in Molecular Virology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston - (Houston, Texas, United States) 1982
- B.A. in Chemistry, Abilene Christian University - (Abilene, Texas, United States) 1980
- B.S. in Biology and Chemistry, Abilene Christian University - (Abilene, Texas, United States) 1980
- MAXWELL, S. A. (1994). 2-DIMENSIONAL GEL ANALYSIS OF P53-MEDIATED CHANGES IN PROTEIN EXPRESSION. Anticancer research. 14(6B), 2549-2556.
- MAXWELL, S. A., & ROTH, J. A. (1994). POSTTRANSLATIONAL REGULATION OF P53 TUMOR-SUPPRESSOR PROTEIN FUNCTION. Critical Reviews in Oncogenesis. 5(1), 23-57.
- MAXWELL, S. A. (1994). RETINOBLASTOMA PROTEIN IN NONSMALL CELL LUNG-CARCINOMA, CELLS ARRESTED FOR GROWTH BY RETINOIC ACID. Anticancer research. 14(4A), 1535-1540.
- Maxwell, S. A. (1994). Retinoblastoma protein in non-small cell lung carcinoma, cells arrested for growth by retinoic acid. Anticancer research. 14(4 A), 1535-1540.
- MAXWELL, S. A. (1994). SELECTIVE COMPARTMENTALIZATION OF DIFFERENT MDM2 PROTEINS WITHIN THE NUCLEUS. Anticancer research. 14(6B), 2541-2547.
- Dave, J. M., Maxwell, S. A., & Bayless, K. J. (2012). RACK1 and vimentin complex to regulate FAK during endothelial invasion.. MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF THE CELL. 23,
- Cherry, E. M., Bayless, K. J., & Maxwell, S. A. (2011). Drug resistance and invasion in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma are mediated by Akt, 14-3-3 zeta, and Vimentin. CANCER RESEARCH. 71(8 Supplement), 702-702.
- Bayless, K. J., Kwak, H., Mendoza, E. A., & Maxwell, S. A. (2007). ADAM17 mediates endothelial invasion in three-dimensional collagen matrices. The FASEB Journal. 21(5), A194-A194.
- Maxwell, S. A., & Davis, G. E. (2000). Comparative gene expression profiling in p53-mediated apoptosis-resistant and sensitive endothelial cell lines.. The FASEB Journal. 14(4), A555-A555.
- Davis, G. E., Bell, S. E., Bayless, K. J., Salazar, R., Pintar, K. A., Suhasini, K., & Maxwell, S. A. (2000). Molecular regulation of capillary morphogenesis and regression in three-dimensional extracellular matrix environments.. The FASEB Journal. 14(4), A787-A787.