My primary interests include Cancer; Oncogenes; Tumor Suppressor; Genes Programmed Cell Death (apoptosis); Chemoresistance, and Angiogenesis. My laboratory studies mechanisms of evolution of chemoresistance in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL). One current primary objective is to conduct a Phase I study that (1) confirms RTI-79 safety in platinum-resistant/refractory ovarian cancer patients, and (2) demonstrates signals of efficacy in humans (ex: time-to-disease progression and changes in CA125 biomarker). A second objective is to better define the RTI-79 mechanism of action (MOA) by (1) determining how RTI-79 causes a rapid burst in superoxides, and (2) elucidating the basis of Nrf-2 pathway downregulation.
- Baylor College of Medicine - (Houston, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1990
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - (Houston, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1987
- Ph.D. in Molecular Virology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston - (Houston, Texas, United States) 1985
- M.S. in Molecular Virology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston - (Houston, Texas, United States) 1982
- B.A. in Chemistry, Abilene Christian University - (Abilene, Texas, United States) 1980
- B.S. in Biology and Chemistry, Abilene Christian University - (Abilene, Texas, United States) 1980
- Maxwell, S. A., Acosta, S. A., Tombusch, K., & Davis, G. E. (1997). Expression of Bax, Bcl-2, Waf-1, and PCNA gene products in an immortalized human endothelial cell line undergoing p53-mediated apoptosis. APOPTOSIS. 2(5), 442-454.
- Maxwell, S. A., Capp, D., & Acosta, S. A. (1997). Telomerase activity in immortalized endothelial cells undergoing p53-mediated apoptosis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 241(3), 642-645.
- Srinivasan, R., & Maxwell, S. A. (1996). A cellular protein activates the sequence-specific DNA-binding of p53 by interacting with the central conserved region. Oncogene. 12(1), 193-200.
- Maxwell, S. A., Roth, J. A., & Mukhopadhyay, T. (1996). Analysis of phosphorylated isoforms of the p53 tumor suppressor protein in human lung carcinoma cells undergoing apoptosis. ELECTROPHORESIS. 17(11), 1772-1775.
- Mukhopadhyay, T., Roth, J. A., & Maxwell, S. A. (1996). Induction of p53 DNA-binding activity by tumor necrosis factor-alpha. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ONCOLOGY. 9(4), 715-720.