education and training
- Hubbard, A. J., Sawyer, J., Cooke, R. F., & Daigle, C. L. (2019). PSII-28 Impact of commingling on feedlot steer productivity. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 97(Supplement_3), 245-246.
- Whitney, T. R., Sawyer, J. E., Tedeschi, L. O., & Colombo, E. A. (2019). Substituting hammermilled Juniperus spp. for chopped alfalfa hay in steer feedlot diets: growth performance and blood serum chemistry. LIVESTOCK SCIENCE. 227, 1-10.
- Baber, J., Sawyer, J., & Wickersham, T. (2018). 110 Evaluation of net protein contribution and methane production from beef production as the duration of confinement increases in the cow-calf sector.. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 96(suppl_3), 367-368.
- Daigle, C. L., Mathias, A. J., Ridge, E. E., Gill, R., Wickersham, T. A., & Sawyer, J. E. (2018). Case Study: Effect of exercise programs during receiving in a commercial feedlot on behavior and productivity of Brahman crossbred calves: Results from a commercial environment and a comparison to the research environment. The Professional Animal Scientist. 34(6), 653-663.
- BELK, A. D., ARNOLD, A. N., SAWYER, J. E., GRIFFIN, D. B., TAYLOR, T. M., SAVELL, J. W., & GEHRING, K. B. (2018). Comparison of Salmonella Prevalence Rates in Bovine Lymph Nodes across Feeding Stages. Journal of Food Protection. 81(4), 549-553.
- Minten, M. A., Bilby, T. R., Bruno, R., Allen, C. C., Sawyer, J. E., Bazer, F. W., & Spencer, T. E. (2011). Identification of Beef Heifers with Superior Capacity for Fertility.. Biology of Reproduction. 85(Suppl_1), 465-465.
- Rambo, Z. J., Sawyer, J. E., Skaggs, C. L., & Wickersham, T. A. (2010). Dried distillers grains as a protein supplement to cattle consuming Bermudagrass hay. Journal of Dairy Science. 93, 706-706.
- Kenney, N. M., Sawyer, J. E., III, D., & Wickersham, T. A. (2010). Effect of maturity and nitrogen fertilization on bahiagrass production and nutritive value. Journal of Dairy Science. 93, 194-194.
- Terrill, C. L., Friend, T. H., & Sawyer, J. E. (2010). Tail deflection as a measure of emotional state in canines.. Journal of Dairy Science. 93, 324-324.
- Smith, S. B., Kawachi, H., Choi, C. B., Choi, C. W., Wu, G., & Sawyer, J. E. (2009). Cellular regulation of bovine intramuscular adipose tissue development and composition.. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 87(14 Suppl), e72-e82.
awards and honors
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Baber, Jessica Rae (2016-12). Evaluating Feasibility of Alternative Feeding Methods for Limit-fed Cow-Calf Systems. (Master's Thesis)
- Johnson, Myriah Dawn (2016-05). Beef Cattle Production Practices: What Are They Worth?. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Bohlen, Lauren Elaine (2015-12). Expeller Pressed and Solvent Extracted Pongamia Seedcake as a Protein Supplement for Cattle Consuming Forage. (Master's Thesis)
- Morrill, Jessie Crystal (2015-12). Effects of Post-Extraction Algal Residue on Nutrient Utilization, Carcass Performance, and Beef Tenderness and Flavor in Finishing Steers. (Master's Thesis)
- Boardman, Caleb Jay (2015-08). Effects of Monensin and Dietary Energy Intake on Maintenance Requiements in Beef Cows. (Master's Thesis)
- Bell, Natasha LuRey (2015-05). Supplementation Strategies to Improve Efficiency of Forage Utilization and Mitigate Enteric Methane Production in Bos indicus and Bos taurus Cattle. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Trubenbach, Levi Anthony (2014-12). Effects of Dietary Energy Density and Intake on Maintenance Energy Requirements in Beef Cows. (Master's Thesis)
- Word, Alyssa Brook (2014-08). Evaluation of Two Methods to Prevent Bovine Respiratory Disease in Growing Cattle. (Master's Thesis)
- Sugg, Joel D (2013-08). Evaluation of Intake Limiting Agents in a Self-fed Dried Distillers' Supplement. (Master's Thesis)
- Orsak, Andrew Nathan (2010-12). Evaluation of High-intensity and Low-intensity Preconditioning Systems. (Master's Thesis)
- Ponce, Christian (2010-08). Effects of Ruminally Degradable Nitrogen in Diets Containing Wet Distiller's Grains with Solubles and Steam-flaked Corn on Feedlot Cattle Performance and Carcass Characteristics. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Horne, Willy J. (2009-05). Application of vaccination protocols to manage beef cattle productivity and mitigate production risk. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Rhoades, Ryan D. (2008-08). Influence of dietary energy source on in vitro substrate utilization and insulin sensitivity of muscle and adipose tissue of beef cattle. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Franke, Jake Andrew (2008-05). Effects of breed type and growing program on performance and carcass characteristics of early weaned calves. (Master's Thesis)
- Thayne, Jeffrey Thomas (2007-08). The effects of Bio-Mos on lamb growth and immune function. (Master's Thesis)
- de Vasconcelos, Judson Tadeu (2006-12). The use of different nutritional strategies and mathematical models to improve production efficiency, profitability, and carcass quality of feedlot cattle. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Bumpus, Emalee Kate (2005-05). Influence of acetogenic versus propiogenic supplements on adipose tissue accretion in stocker steers grazing ryegrass pasture. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; Animal Science; 2471 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-2471