Cason Schmit is a research assistant professor at the Department of Health Policy and Management where he actively researches the role of law in health systems.
Prior to joining Texas A&M University, he worked for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Public Health Law Program as an Oak Ridge Institute for Science Education legal fellow (2013-2015) and as a federal contractor (2015-2016). There he worked with public health professionals within CDC centers and offices and state, tribal, local, and territorial partners to promote the use of law as a tool to improve the public's health. His research with CDC focused on the role of law in health system transformation, including the use of electronic health information to promote public health, state innovation models, pay-for-success initiatives, and pharmacists' vaccination authority.
- Dingman, D. A., & Schmit, C. D. (2018). Authority of Pharmacists to Administer Human Papillomavirus Vaccine: Alignment of State Laws With Age-Level Recommendations. Public health reports (Washington, D.C. : 1974). 133(1), 55-63.
- Schmit, C. D., AWetter, S., & Kash, B. A. (2018). Falling short: how state laws can address health information exchange barriers and enablers.. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. 25(6), 635-644.
- Brown-Podgorski, B. L., Hilts, K. E., Kash, B. A., Schmit, C. D., & Vest, J. R. (2018). The Association Between State-Level Health Information Exchange Laws and Hospital Participation in Community Health Information Organizations.. AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings. AMIA Symposium. 2018, 313-320.
- Schmit, C. D., & Penn, M. S. (2017). Expanding state laws and a growing role for pharmacists in vaccination services. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. 57(6), 661-669.
- Barraza, L., Schmit, C., & Hoss, A. (2017). The Latest in Vaccine Policies: Selected Issues in School Vaccinations, Healthcare Worker Vaccinations, and Pharmacist Vaccination Authority Laws. J Law Med Ethics. 45(1), 16-19.
Institutional Repository Documents12
- Schmit, C. (2017). State Law Landscape for Health Information Technology.
- Schmit, C., Ramanathan, T., Sunshine, G., & Menon, A. (2015). Electronic Health Information Research Anthology: Selected Readings.
- Ramanathan, T., Schmit, C., Menon, A., Sunshine, G., & Pepin, D. (2015). Federal Public Health Laws Supporting Data Use and Sharing.