education and training
- Ph.D. in Political Science (International Relations), University of California, Berkeley - (Berkeley, California, United States) 1981
- LL.M. in International Law, University of Virginia - (Charlottesville, Virginia, United States) 1975
- J.D. in , University of Southern California - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 1974
- B.A. in International Relations (Cum Laude), University of Southern California - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 1971
- Layne, C. (2018). The US-Chinese power shift and the end of the Pax Americana. INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS. 94(1), 89-111.
- Layne, C. (2017). The US foreign policy establishment and grand strategy: How American elites obstruct strategic adjustment. International Politics. 54(3), 260-275.
- Layne, C. (2015). China and America: Sleepwalking to war?. National Interest. (May/June),
- Layne, C. (2015). Obamaâ€™s missed opportunity to pivot away from the middle east. Insight Turkey. 17(3), 11-21.
- Layne, C. (2015). What Good Is Grand Strategy? Power and Purpose in American Statecraft from Harry S. Truman to George W. Bush. AMERICAN HISTORICAL REVIEW. 120(2), 658-659.
- Layne, C. (2017). The sound of distant thunder: The pre-world war i anglo-german rivalry as a model for sino-american relations in the early twenty-first century. Will China's Rise be Peaceful?: The Rise of a Great Power in Theory, History, Politics, and the Future. (pp. 123-142).
- Layne, C. (2013). Grand Strategy. Lynch, T. J. (Eds.), The Oxford Encyclopedia of American Military and Diplomatic History. Oxford University Press.
- Layne, C. (2013). The real post-American world: The pax Americaâ€™s end and the future of world politics. Debating a Post-American World: What Lies Ahead?. (pp. 41-46).
- Layne, C. (2010). The unbearable lightness of soft power. Soft Power and US Foreign Policy: Theoretical, Historical and Contemporary Perspectives. (pp. 51-82).
- Layne, C. (2006). Reply to Bradley Thayer: The illusion of the American empire. Layne, C., & Thayer, B. A. (Eds.), American Empire: A Debate. (pp. 121-137). Routledge.
awards and honors
Texas A&M University; International Affairs; 4220 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4220