- Faculty Affiliate, Energy Institute, Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES), Division of Research
- Professor, Petroleum Engineering, College of Engineering
Dr. Liang's major research focus is on developing promising uses for nanotechnology in enhanced oil recovery operations and other oilfield chemical applications in both conventional and unconventional reservoirs. Based on drug-delivery technologies from the pharmaceutical industry, his research group successfully developed a chemical delivery system that uses nanoparticles to entrap and protect the chemicals from the hostile underground environments. The current oilfield applications include delayed gelation for water shutoff and in-depth conformance control, delayed release of scale inhibitors to extend the treatment life time, wax and asphaltene inhibition for flow assurance, microbial enhanced hydrocarbon recovery, and fracture fluid cleanup.
- Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States)
- M.S. in Petroleum Engineering, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa - (Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States)
- B.S. in Chemistry, Tamkang University - (Taipei, Taiwan)
- Chen, Z., Yu, W., Liang, J., Wang, S., & Liang, H. (2022). Application of statistical machine learning clustering algorithms to improve EUR predictions using decline curve analysis in shale-gas reservoirs. JOURNAL OF PETROLEUM SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING. 208, 109216-109216.
- Veisi, M., Johnson, S., Shafer-Peltier, K., Liang, J., Berkland, C., Chen, M., & Barati, R. (2019). Controlled release of poly(vinyl sulfonate) scale inhibitor to extend reservoir treatment lifetime. JOURNAL OF APPLIED POLYMER SCIENCE. 136(12), 47225-47225.
- Andersen, C. D., Lin, Y., & Liang, J. (2019). Polyelectrolyte-Complex Nanoparticles for Fluid-Loss Control in Oilwell Cementing. SPE DRILLING & COMPLETION. 34(2), 103-113.
- Cai, Q., Yu, W., Liang, H. C., Liang, J., Wang, S., & Wu, K. (2018). Development of a Powerful Data-Analysis Tool Using Nonparametric Smoothing Models To Identify Drillsites in Tight Shale Reservoirs With High Economic Potential. SPE JOURNAL. 23(3), 719-736.
- Zhou, X., Liang, J., Andersen, C. D., Cai, J., & Lin, Y. (2018). Enhanced adsorption of anionic surfactants on negatively charged quartz sand grains treated with cationic polyelectrolyte complex nanoparticles. COLLOIDS AND SURFACES A-PHYSICOCHEMICAL AND ENGINEERING ASPECTS. 553, 397-405.
- Wo, S., & Liang, J. (2005). Chapter 14 CO2 Storage in Coalbeds: CO2/N2 Injection and Outcrop Seepage Modeling. Carbon Dioxide Capture for Storage in Deep Geologic Formations. 897-924. Elsevier.
- Wo, S., Liang, J., & Myer, L. R. (2005). Chapter 32 CO2 Storage in Coalbeds Risk Assessment of CO2 and Methane Leakage. Carbon Dioxide Capture for Storage in Deep Geologic Formations. 1263-1291. Elsevier.
- Veisi, M., Johnson, S., Peltier, K., Berkland, C., Liang, J. T., & Barati, R. (2018). Application of polyelectrolyte complex nanoparticles to increase the lifetime of poly vinyl sulfonate scale inhibitor. Proceedings - SPE International Symposium on Formation Damage Control. 2018-February,
- Bratteks, B., Pedersen, S. G., Nistov, H. T., Haugen, A., Graue, A., Liang, J. T., & Seright, R. S. (2014). The effect of Cr(III) acetate-HPAM gel maturity on washout from open fractures. Proceedings - SPE Symposium on Improved Oil Recovery. 1, 477-488.
- Johnson, S. J., & Liang, J. T. (2012). Polyelectrolyte nanoparticles for flow assurance. AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings.
- Johnson, S. J., & Liang, J. T. (2012). Polyelectrolyte nanoparticles for flow assurance. 12AIChE - 2012 AIChE Spring Meeting and 8th Global Congress on Process Safety, Conference Proceedings.
- Johnson, S. J., Barati, R., McCool, S., Green, D. W., Willhite, G. P., & Liang, J. T. (2011). Polyelectrolyte complex nanoparticles to entrap enzymes for hydraulic fracturing fluid cleanup. ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts.
- John E. & Deborah F. Bethancourt Professorship conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - Harold Vance Department of Petroleum Engineering 2015
- PETE662 Production Engineering Instructor
- PETE665 Pete Reservoir Engr Instructor
- PETE684 Professional Internship Instructor
- PETE685 Directed Studies Instructor
- PETE691 Research Instructor
- Andersen, Corbin Derek (2017-05). Application of PEC Nanoparticles to Oil Well Cements. (Master's Thesis)
- Sun, Shangbin (2017-05). Analysis of Dissolved Heavy Metal and Cesium Ion Removal using Modified Hydrogels. (Master's Thesis)
- Zhou, Xilong (2016-08). Bulk and Adsorption Properties of Surfactant Entrapped in Polyelectrolyte Complex Nanoparticles. (Master's Thesis)