Dr. Liang's major research focus is on developing promising uses for nanotechnology in enhanced oil recovery operations and other oilfield chemical applications in both conventional and unconventional reservoirs. Based on drug-delivery technologies from the pharmaceutical industry, his research group successfully developed a chemical delivery system that uses nanoparticles to entrap and protect the chemicals from the hostile underground environments. The current oilfield applications include delayed gelation for water shutoff and in-depth conformance control, delayed release of scale inhibitors to extend the treatment life time, wax and asphaltene inhibition for flow assurance, microbial enhanced hydrocarbon recovery, and fracture fluid cleanup.
- Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States)
- M.S. in Petroleum Engineering, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa - (Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States)
- B.S. in Chemistry, Tamkang University - (Taipei, Taiwan)
- Zhou, X., Liang, J., Andersen, C. D., Cai, J., & Lin, Y. (2018). Enhanced adsorption of anionic surfactants on negatively charged quartz sand grains treated with cationic polyelectrolyte complex nanoparticles. Colloids and Surfaces A Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 553, 397-405.
- Cai, Q., Yu, W., Liang, H. C., Liang, J., Wang, S., & Wu, K. (2018). Development of a Powerful Data-Analysis Tool Using Nonparametric Smoothing Models To Identify Drillsites in Tight Shale Reservoirs With High Economic Potential. Society of Petroleum Engineers Journal. 23(3), 719-736.
- Mohammadi, Z., Shangbin, S., Berkland, C., & Liang, J. (2017). Chelator-mimetic multi-functionalized hydrogel: Highly efficient and reusable sorbent for Cd, Pb, and As removal from waste water. Chemical Engineering Journal. 307, 496-502.
- Gilbert, W., Johnson, S. J., Tsau, J., Liang, J., & Scurto, A. M. (2016). Enzymatic degradation of polyacrylamide in aqueous solution with peroxidase and H2O2. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 134(10),
- Yu, W., Tan, X., Zuo, L., Liang, J., Liang, H. C., & Wang, S. (2016). A New Probabilistic Approach for Uncertainty Quantification in Well Performance of Shale Gas Reservoirs. Society of Petroleum Engineers Journal. 21(06), 2038-2048.
- Wo, S., & Liang, J. (2005). Chapter 14 CO2 Storage in Coalbeds: CO2/N2 Injection and Outcrop Seepage Modeling. Carbon Dioxide Capture for Storage in Deep Geologic Formations. (pp. 897-924). Elsevier.
- Wo, S., Liang, J., & Myer, L. R. (2005). Chapter 32 CO2 Storage in Coalbeds Risk Assessment of CO2 and Methane Leakage. Carbon Dioxide Capture for Storage in Deep Geologic Formations. (pp. 1263-1291). Elsevier.
- Veisi, M., Johnson, S., Peltier, K., Berkland, C., Liang, J. T., & Barati, R. (2018). Application of polyelectrolyte complex nanoparticles to increase the lifetime of poly vinyl sulfonate scale inhibitor. 2018-February,
- Brattekâs, B., Pedersen, S. G., Nistov, H. T., Haugen, A., Graue, A., Liang, J. T., & Seright, R. S. (2014). The effect of Cr(III) acetate-HPAM gel maturity on washout from open fractures. 1, 477-488.
- Johnson, S. J., Barati, R., McCool, S., Green, D. W., Willhite, G. P., & Liang, J. T. (2011). Polyelectrolyte complex nanoparticles to entrap enzymes for hydraulic fracturing fluid cleanup. ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts.
- Andersen, Corbin Derek (2017-05). Application of PEC Nanoparticles to Oil Well Cements. (Master's Thesis)
- Sun, Shangbin (2017-05). Analysis of Dissolved Heavy Metal and Cesium Ion Removal using Modified Hydrogels. (Master's Thesis)
- Zhou, Xilong (2016-08). Bulk and Adsorption Properties of Surfactant Entrapped in Polyelectrolyte Complex Nanoparticles. (Master's Thesis)