Research interests are in the epidemiology and management of rice and bioenergy crop diseases. Research activities center on rice sheath blight, bacterial panicle blight, narrow brown leaf spot, blast, the seedling disease complex and other diseases important in Texas and other southern states. Studies are conducted to better understand disease incidence and severity in response to changes in population genetics of pathogens, rice varieties, environmental conditions, cultural practices, and fungicide use. Current research projects include evaluating and identifying disease resistance, exploiting beneficial microorganisms and cover crops for biocontrol of diseases, and evaluating the impacts of fungicides on disease epidemics and grain yield and quality for main and ratoon (second) crops. The ultimate goal of my basic and applied research program is to develop effective disease management tools and to provide economically and environmentally sound disease management recommendations for rice production.
- Xiao-yang, Z., Jian, Z., Dong-yan, Z., Xin-gen, Z., Xiao-hui, L., & Jing, X. (2019). Comparison between the Effects of Visible Light and Multispectral Sensor Based on Low-Altitude Remote Sensing Platform in the Evaluation of Rice Sheath Blight. Guang Pu Xue Yu Guang Pu Fen Xi. 39(4), 1192-1198.
- Uppala, S., & Zhou, X. G. (2019). Optimum timing of propiconazole to manage narrow brown leaf spot in the main and ratoon rice crops in Texas. CROP PROTECTION. 124, 104854-104854.
- Uppala, S. S., Zhou, X., Liu, B., & Wu, M. (2019). Plant-Based Culture Media for Improved Growth and Sporulation of Cercospora janseana. Plant Disease. 103(3), 504-508.
- Shew, A. M., Durand-Morat, A., Nalley, L. L., Zhou, X., Rojas, C., & Thoma, G. (2019). Warming increases Bacterial Panicle Blight (Burkholderia glumae) occurrences and impacts on USA rice production.. PLoS ONE. 14(7), e0219199-e0219199.
- Zhang, D., Zhou, X., Zhang, J., Lan, Y., Xu, C., & Liang, D. (2018). Detection of rice sheath blight using an unmanned aerial system with high-resolution color and multispectral imaging. PLoS ONE. 13(5), e0187470-e0187470.
- Zhou, X. (2019). Sustainable Strategies for Managing Bacterial Panicle Blight in Rice. Jia, Y. (Eds.), Protecting Rice Grains in the Post-Genomic Era. IntechOpen.
- Singh, V., Zhou, S., Ganie, Z., Valverde, B., Avila, L., Marchesan, E., ... Bagavathiannan, M. (2017). Rice production in the Americas. Rice Production Worldwide. (pp. 137-168). Springer International Publishing.
- Gaire, S. P., Shi, J., Jo, Y. K., & Zhou, X. G. (2019). Fungal pathogens associated with rice seedling disease in the Southern United States. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 109(10), 130-130.
- Shi, J., & Zhou, X. G. (2019). Hybrid rice outperforms inbred rice in resistance against sheath blight and narrow brown leaf spot. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 109(10), 92-92.
- Zhou, X. G., Dou, F., & McClung, A. M. (2019). Integrated use of brassica seed meal and cultivar resistance for management of seedling disease in organic rice production. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 109(10), 95-95.
- Zhang, D., Zhou, X., Zhang, J., Huang, L., Zhao, J., & IEEE, .. (2017). DEVELOPING A SMALL UAV PLATFORM TO DETECT SHEATH BLIGHT OF RICE. IGARSS 2018 - 2018 IEEE INTERNATIONAL GEOSCIENCE AND REMOTE SENSING SYMPOSIUM. 2017-July, 3190-3193.
- Zhou, X. G., & Uppala, S. S. (2015). Field efficacy of new fungicides for management of narrow brown leaf spot of rice. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 105(11), 159-159.