Research interests are in the epidemiology and management of rice and bioenergy crop diseases. Research activities center on rice sheath blight, bacterial panicle blight, narrow brown leaf spot, blast, the seedling disease complex and other diseases important in Texas and other southern states. Studies are conducted to better understand disease incidence and severity in response to changes in population genetics of pathogens, rice varieties, environmental conditions, cultural practices, and fungicide use. Current research projects include evaluating and identifying disease resistance, exploiting beneficial microorganisms and cover crops for biocontrol of diseases, and evaluating the impacts of fungicides on disease epidemics and grain yield and quality for main and ratoon (second) crops. The ultimate goal of my basic and applied research program is to develop effective disease management tools and to provide economically and environmentally sound disease management recommendations for rice production.
- Liu, R., Singh, V., Abugho, S., Lin, H., Zhou, X., & Bagavathiannan, M. (2022). Morphophysiological diversity and its association with herbicide resistance in Echinochloa ecotypes. Weed Science. (1),
- Wang, L. i., Nysetvold, E., & Zhou, X. (2021). Culture media promoting sporulation of rice kernel smut fungus Tilletia barclayana. European Journal of Plant Pathology. 161(3), 629-635.
- Zhang, D., Gu, C., Wang, Z., Zhou, X., & Li, W. (2021). Evaluating the efficacy of fungicides for wheat scab control by combined image processing technologies. Biosystems Engineering. 211, 230-246.
- Redman, R. S., Kim, Y. O., Cho, S., Mercer, M., Rienstra, M., Manglona, R., ... Rodriguez, R. J. (2021). A Symbiotic Approach to Generating Stress Tolerant Crops.. Microorganisms. 9(5), 920-920.
- Lin, F., Guo, S., Tan, C., Zhou, X., & Zhang, D. (2020). Identification of Rice Sheath Blight through Spectral Responses Using Hyperspectral Images.. Sensors (Basel). 20(21), 6243-6243.
- Zhou, X. (2019). Sustainable Strategies for Managing Bacterial Panicle Blight in Rice. Jia, Y. (Eds.), Protecting Rice Grains in the Post-Genomic Era. IntechOpen.
- Singh, V., Zhou, S., Ganie, Z., Valverde, B., Avila, L., Marchesan, E., ... Bagavathiannan, M. (2017). Rice Production in the Americas. Chauhan, B. S., Jabran, K., & Mahajan, G. (Eds.), Rice Production Worldwide. 137-168. Springer International Publishing.
- Kumar, K., Reddy, M. S., Kloepper, J. W., Lawrence, K. S., Zhou, X. G., Groth, D. E., ... Miller, M. E. (2011). Commercial Potential of Microbial Inoculants for Sheath Blight Management and Yield Enhancement of Rice. Bacteria in Agrobiology: Crop Ecosystems. 237-264. Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Shi, J., Zhou, X., Yan, Z., Tabien, R. E., Wilson, L. T., & Wang, L. i. (2021). Hybrid Rice Outperforms Inbred Rice in Resistance to Sheath Blight and Narrow Brown Leaf Spot.. Plant Dis. 105(10), 2981-2989.
- Ni, J., Zhu, Z., Zhou, X., Dou, F., Yang, Y., Wilson, L. T., ... Zhang, J. (2021). Ridge Detection and Perceptual Grouping Based Automatic Counting of Rice Seedlings Using UAV Images. 2021 6th International Conference on Image, Vision and Computing (ICIVC), 2021 6th International Conference on Image, Vision and Computing (ICIVC). 00, 61-65.
- Gaire, S. P., Zhou, X. G., Jo, Y. K., & Wang, S. (2020). Genome-wide analysis of genetic diversity of Rhizoctonia solani AG-11 isolates from rice in the southern United States. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 110(12), 166-167.
- Wang, L., Nysetvold, E., & Zhou, X. G. (2020). Screening of cultural media for sporulation of Tilletia barclayana. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 110(12), 8-8.
- Zhou, X. G., Uppala, L. S., Guo, Z., Liu, B., Lei, X., Wang, L., & Gaire, S. P. (2020). Screening of fungicides for management of kernel smut of rice. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 110(12), 72-72.