education and training
- Ph.D. in Sociology, University of Chicago - (Chicago, Illinois, United States) 1996
- M.A. in Sociology, DePaul University - (Chicago, Illinois, United States) 1991
- B.A. in Criminal Justice, Aurora University - (Aurora, Illinois, United States) 1987
- May, R. (2018). Velvet Rope Racism, Racial Paranoia, and Cultural Scripts: Alleged Dress Code Discrimination in Urban Nightlife, 2000â€“2014. City and Community. 17(1), 44-64.
- Buford May, R. A. (2014). On the Run: Fugitive Life in an American City, by Alice Goffman. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 2014, 277 pp. ISBN-13: 978-0-226-13671-4 (Cloth).. City and Community. 13(4), 412-413.
- Buford May, R. A. (2014). When the Methodological Shoe is on the Other Foot: African American Interviewer and White Interviewees. QUALITATIVE SOCIOLOGY. 37(1), 117-136.
- Singer, J. N., & May, R. (2011). The career trajectory of a Black male high school basketball player: A social reproduction perspective. INTERNATIONAL REVIEW FOR THE SOCIOLOGY OF SPORT. 46(3), 299-314.
- Buford May, R. A. (2009). The good and bad of it all: professional black male basketball players as role models for young black male basketball players. Sociology of Sport Journal. 26(3), 443-461.
- May, R. (2014). Urban Nightlife Entertaining Race, Class, and Culture in Public Space. Rutgers University Press.
- Buford May, R. A. (2008). Living through the hoop: High school basketball, race, and the American dream.
- May, R. (2001). Talking at Trena's Everyday Conversations at an African American Tavern. NYU Press.
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Chaplin, Kenneth S (2015-05). Culture, Structure, and Race in Pick-Up Basketball: Everyday Hoops inside a Predominantly White University Student Recreation Center. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Clay, Charity (2014-08). Hooperchicks: Black Women, College Basketball and Identity Negotiation. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Le, Jennifer Linh (2011-05). The Religiosity of Vietnamese Americans. (Master's Thesis)
- Clay, Charity (2009-08). 80s Babies: How Members of Hip Hop's Third Generation Understand and Participate in the Culture. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; Sociology; 4351 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4351