Dr. Poston's research encompasses a broad range of issues associated primarily with existing nuclear-electric generating stations. These include: 1) safe storage of used nuclear fuel from nuclear-electric-generating stations; 2) radiation safety and human performance aspects of operating nuclear-electric stations safely, efficiently, and without unnecessary radiation exposures of the workers or releases of radioactivity to the environment around these facilities; and 3) safety and security of these facilities as well as response to emergency situations including terrorist acts involving radiation and radioactivity.
- Ph.D. in Nuclear Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology - (Atlanta, Georgia, United States) 1971
- M.S. in Nuclear Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology - (Atlanta, Georgia, United States) 1969
- B.S. in Mathematics, Lynchburg College - (Lynchburg, Virginia, United States) 1958
- Kong, T. Y., Akabani, G., & Poston, J. W. (2019). A STUDY OF A DOSE CONSTRAINT FOR OCCUPATIONALLY EXPOSED WORKERS IN THE US NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS.. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 183(4), 502-512.
- Kong, T. Y., Akabani, G., & Poston, J. W. (2018). A Study of a Dose Constraint for Members of the Public Living Around Nuclear Power Plants in the United States. NUCLEAR TECHNOLOGY. 1-9.
- Sr, P. (2017). FORTIETH LAURISTON S. TAYLOR LECTURE: RADIATION PROTECTION AND REGULATORY SCIENCE. Health physics. 112(2), 193-198.
- Guan, F., Johns, J. M., Vasudevan, L., Zhang, G., Tang, X., Sr, P., & Braby, L. A. (2015). A Novel Algorithm for Solving the True Coincident Counting Issues in Monte Carlo Simulations for Radiation Spectroscopy. Health physics. 108(6), 574-579.
- Kelly, R., Tsvetkov, P., Chirayath, S., Poston, J., & Kitcher, E. (2015). Uncertainty quantification of concrete utilized in dry cask storage. NUCLEAR TECHNOLOGY. 190(1), 72-87.
- Poston, J. W., & Ford, J. R. (2008). Internal Dosimetry. Radiological Risk Assessment and Environmental Analysis. (pp. 389-446). Oxford University Press.
- Poston, J. W. (2002). Computational methods in internal radiation dosimetry. Therapeutic Applications of Monte Carlo Calculations in Nuclear Medicine. (pp. 84-107).
- Poston, J. W. (2002). Mathematical models of the human anatomy. Therapeutic Applications of Monte Carlo Calculations in Nuclear Medicine. (pp. 108-132).
- Brill, A. B. (2002). Monte carlo methods and mathematical models for the dosimetry of skeleton and bone marrow. Therapeutic Applications of Monte Carlo Calculations in Nuclear Medicine. (pp. 286-309).
- Poston, J. W., Kurwitz, R. C., Tsvetkova, G., & Peddicord, K. L. (2013). Educating the nuclear workforce of the future in Texas. 144.
- Poston, J. W., Segovia, V. G., Haines, J. H., & Peddicord, K. L. (2013). Outreach to stimulate interest in STEM education. 79-80.
- Kurwitz, C., Poston, J., & Peddicord, K. (2013). The systems engineering initiative - An innovative approach to experiential learning. 136-137.
- Poston, J. W. (2011). Nuclear terrorism, risk management and decision making for leaders. 216-220.
- Poston, J. W. (2009). Nuclear terrorism, risk management, and decision making for leaders. TRANSACTIONS OF THE AMERICAN NUCLEAR SOCIETY. 101, 1027-1028.
- Professional Excellence Award conferred by American Nuclear Society - (La Grange Park, Illinois, United States) - The Radiation Protection and Shielding Division 2014
- Gonzalez, Yesenia Amanda (2016-12). Deconvoluting an Americium-Beryllium Neutron Spectrum from a Proton Recoil Detector. (Master's Thesis)
- Kong, Tae Young (2016-08). Regulatory Science and Radiation Protection: A Study of Dose Constraints for Members of the Public and Occupationally-exposed Workers at the U.S. Nuclear Power Plants. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lancon, Trevor (2014-08). The Role of Neutron Activation Analysis in the Pathological Evaluation of Silver-Eluting Biomedical Devices in Biological Matrices. (Master's Thesis)
- Cronholm, Lillian Marie (2011-08). Reliability Engineering Approach to Probabilistic Proliferation Resistance Analysis of the Example Sodium Fast Reactor Fuel Cycle Facility. (Master's Thesis)
- Zhou, Jingjie (2011-05). Dosimetry of Y-90 Liquid Brachytherapy in a Dog with Osteosarcoma Using PET/CT. (Master's Thesis)