I have specialties in the literature and language of both the Old and Middle English periods. My research program centers on the concept and uses of tradition.
education and training
- Ph.D. in English, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - (Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States) 2003
- M.A. in English, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - (Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States) 1996
- B.A. in University Scholar, Baylor University - (Waco, Texas, United States) 1994
- Mize, B. (2016). Did deliberate lexical blending occur in old english?. Peritia. 27, 99-120.
- Mize, B. A. (2015). Review of Lenz, Karmen. Ræd and Frofer: Christian Poetics in the Old English \"Froferboc\" Meters. Costerus New Series. Medieval Review.
- Mize, B. A. (2015). Review of Michael D. C. Drout, Tradition and Influence in Anglo-Saxon Literature: A n Evolutionary, Cognitivist Approach. Medium Aevum. 84(1), 147-148.
- Mize, B. (2014). David Matthews, ed., In Strange Countries: Middle English Literature and Its Afterlife. Essays in Memory of J. J. Anderson. (Manchester Medieval Literature and Culture.) Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2011. Pp. xii, 170; 4 black-and-white figures. $80. ISBN: 978-0-7190-8450-8.. Speculum. 89(3), 801-802.
- Mize, B. A. (2012). English Studies Volume Contents and Author Index, Volume 93, Nos 1–8, 2012. English Studies. 93(8), 999-1004.
- Mize, B. (2012). Lexical and Textual Studies on Fulgens and Lucres. English Studies. 93(7), 775-808.
- Mize, B. (2012). The Poetics of Old English. English Studies. 93(8), 988-990.
- Mize, B. (2011). SAMANTHA ZACHER AND ANDY ORCHARD (eds). New Readings in the Vercelli Book.. The Review of English Studies. 62(254), 300-302.
- Mize, B. (2011). The meaning of 'fisc flodu ahof' on the franks casket. Notes and Queries. 58(3), 343-347.
- Mize, B. (2010). The mental container and the cross of Christ: Revelation and community in The Dream of the Rood. Studies in Philology. 107(2), 131-178.
- Britt Mize, .. (2010). Working with the Enemy: The Harmonizing Tradition and the New Utility of Judas Iscariot in Thirteenth-Century England. The Journal of Medieval Religious Cultures. 36(1), 68-110.
- Mize, B. (2008). Manipulations of the mind-as-container motif in Beowulf, Homiletic Fragment II, and Alfred's Metrical Epilogue to the Pastoral Care. Journal of English and Germanic Philology. 107(1), 25-56.
- Harper, E., & Mize, B. (2006). Material Economy, Spiritual Economy, and Social Critique in Everyman. Comparative Drama. 40(3), 263-311.
- Mize, B. (2006). The representation of the mind as an enclosure in Old English poetry. Anglo-Saxon England. 35, 57-90.
- Mize, B. (2001). Adam, and Chaucer's Words Unto Him. The Chaucer Review. 35(4), 351-377.
- Mize, B. (2012). Traditional subjectivities: The old English poetics of mentality. University of Toronto Press.
- Mize, B. A. (1996). The Hunt-temptation Complex in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.
chaired theses and dissertations
- Davis, Matthew Evan (2013-12). The Apostelesse's Social Network: The Meaning of Mary Magdalene in Fifteenth-Century East Anglia. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Peterson, Noah (2011-05). An Examination of the Family in \"The Tale of Sir Gareth\". (Master's Thesis)
- Peterson, Noah (2011-05). An Examination of the Family in “The Tale of Sir Gareth”. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; English; 4227 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4227