Our primary research goals are to develop and apply novel tools for studying DNA damage in the context of chromatin and to explore new avenues for RNA-based therapeutics and diagnostics. By combining expertise in chemical biology, molecular biology, and molecular evolution, our lab addresses challenges associated with studying and targeting noncoding RNAs from a unique perspective. In addition, we utilize modern chemical biology techniques to develop designer chromatin systems for studying DNA damage. We are seeking motivated individuals who wish to gain experience in chemical biology, molecular biology, and in vitro evolution techniques.
- Dey, S., & Sczepanski, J. T. (2020). In vitro selection of L-DNA aptamers that bind a structured D-RNA molecule. Nucleic acids research. 48(4), 1669-1680.
- Kabza, A. M., & Sczepanski, J. T. (2020). L-DNA-Based Catalytic Hairpin Assembly Circuit. MOLECULES. 25(4), 947-947.
- Young, B. E., & Sczepanski, J. T. (2019). Heterochiral DNA Strand-Displacement Based on Chimeric D/L-Oligonucleotides. ACS Synth Biol. 8(12), 2756-2759.
- Banerjee, D. R., III, D., Zeng, Y. u., & Sczepanski, J. T. (2019). Acetylation of the histone H3 tail domain regulates base excision repair on higher-order chromatin structures. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 9(1), 15972.
- III, D., Banerjee, D. R., & Sczepanski, J. T. (2019). Chromatin Structure and the Pioneering Transcription Factor FOXA1 Regulate TDG-Mediated Removal of 5-Formylcytosine from DNA. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 141(36), 14110-14114.
- Zhou, C., Sczepanski, J. T., & Greenberg, M. M. (2012). Rapid DNA strand scission at a basic sites in nucleosome core particles. ACS Photonics. 244,
- Sczepanski, J. T., & Joyce, G. F. (2012). Synthesis and evolution of genetically encoded cross-replicating ribozymes. ACS Photonics. 243,
- Sczepanski, J., Jacobs, A., Van Houten, B., & Greenberg, M. M. (2010). Scope and Mechanism of Formation of Interstrand Cross-Links That Give Rise to Double Strand Breaks upon Nucleotide Excision Repair. Chemical Research in Toxicology. 23(1), 284-284.
- Sczepanski, J., Jacobs, A., & Greenberg, M. M. (2008). ORGN 114-Interstrand cross-link (ICL) formation by the C4'-oxidized abasic site in DNA. ACS Photonics. 236,