The long-term objective of my research is to identify and characterized virulence determinants that contribute to the pathogenic potential of the B. burgdorferi. Through the utilization of in vivo bioluminescence we are evaluating the kinetics of borrelial infectivity in various strains or mutant derivatives that exhibit distinct phenotypes. We are also tracking how in vivo synthesis of critical virulence determinants affects B. burgdorferi colonization and dissemination. This work will contribute to the current body of knowledge by shedding light on the pathogenic and temporal role of specific borrelial genes during the infectious process.
- Texas A&M Health Science Center - (College Station, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2010
- Ph.D. in Medical Sciences, Texas A&M Health Science Center - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2005
- B.S. in Microbiology, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1996
- Saputra, E. P., Trzeciakowski, J. P., & Hyde, J. A. (2020). Borrelia burgdorferi spatiotemporal regulation of transcriptional regulator bosR and decorin binding protein during murine infection. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 10(1), 12534.
- Chaconas, G., Moriarty, T. J., Skare, J., & Hyde, J. A. (2020). Live Imaging.. Current Issues in Molecular Biology. 42, 385-408.
- Medina-Pérez, D. N., Wager, B., Troy, E., Gao, L., Norris, S. J., Lin, T., ... Skare, J. T. (2020). The intergenic small non-coding RNA ittA is required for optimal infectivity and tissue tropism in Borrelia burgdorferi. PLoS Pathogens. 16(5), e1008423-e1008423.
- Phelan, J. P., Kern, A., Ramsey, M. E., Lundt, M. E., Sharma, B., Lin, T., ... Hu, L. T. (2019). Genome-wide screen identifies novel genes required for Borrelia burgdorferi survival in its Ixodes tick vector. PLoS Pathogens. 15(5), e1007644-e1007644.
- Ramsey, M. E., Hyde, J. A., Medina-Perez, D. N., Lin, T., Gao, L., Lundt, M. E., ... Hu, L. T. (2017). A high-throughput genetic screen identifies previously uncharacterized Borrelia burgdorferi genes important for resistance against reactive oxygen and nitrogen species. PLoS Pathogens. 13(2), e1006225-e1006225.
- Hyde, J. A., & Skare, J. T. (2017). Detection of Bioluminescent Borrelia burgdorferi from In Vitro Cultivation and During Murine Infection. Methods in Molecular Biology. Borrelia burgdorferi. (pp. 241-257). Springer New York.
- The Role of Small Non-Coding RNA in Borrelial Pathogenesis awarded by National Institutes of Health 2016 - 2019
- Genetic Mechanisms In Borrelia Burgdorferi Pathogenesis awarded by National Institute of Infectious Diseases 2012 - 2015