McKeown has ten years of classroom teaching in various settings including charter, urban and international schools. She currently conducts intervention research in the area of writing. Most of her work focuses on impoverished urban settings where she works at both the teacher and student levels.
- Ph.D. in Special Education (High Incidence Disabilities), Vanderbilt University - (Nashville, Tennessee, United States) 2012
- M.Phil. in Cultural Anthropology, Chinese University of Hong Kong - (Shatin, Hong Kong, China) 2008
- M.A. in Varying Exceptionalities/Special Education, University of South Florida - (Tampa, Florida, United States) 1997
- B.A. in Anthropololgy, University of South Florida - (Tampa, Florida, United States) 1996
- FitzPatrick, E. R., & McKeown, D. (2020). Meeting the Needs of Middle School Writers in a Special Education Classroom: SRSD for the Informational Genre Citing Text-Based Evidence. Education and Treatment of Children. 43(1), 71-84.
- Wijekumar, K., Beerwinkle, A., McKeown, D., Zhang, S., & Joshi, R. M. (2020). The \"GIST\" of the reading comprehension problem in grades 4 and 5.. DYSLEXIA.
- McKeown, D., FitzPatrick, E., Ennis, R., & Potter, A. (2020). Writing Is Revising: Improving Student Persuasive Writing through Individualized Asynchronous Audio Feedback. Education and Treatment of Children. 43(1), 35-48.
- McKeown, D. (2019). Professionalism Rubric: A Tool to Avoid Conflating Content Knowledge with Professional Behaviors in Academic Assessments. College Teaching. 67(4), 252-253.
- McKeown, D., Brindle, M., Harris, K. R., Sandmel, K., Steinbrecher, T. D., Graham, S., Lane, K. L., & Oakes, W. P. (2019). Teachers' Voices: Perceptions of Effective Professional Development and Classwide Implementation of Self-Regulated Strategy Development in Writing. AMERICAN EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH JOURNAL. 56(3), 753-791.
- Mckeown, D., & FitzPatrick, E. (2018). Planning. Graham, S., MacArthur, C. A., & Hebert, M. (Eds.), Best Practices in Writing Instruction, Third Edition. Guilford Press.
- Harris, K. R., Graham, S., Mason, L., Mckeown, D., & Olinghouse, N. (2018). Self-Regulated Strategy Development in Writing: A Classroom Example of Developing Executive Function Processes and Future Directions. Meltzer, L. (Eds.), Executive Function in Education, Second Edition From Theory to Practice. (pp. 326-356). Guilford Publications.
- Geiger, W. L., Mickelson, A., McKeown, D., Barton, J., Kleinhammer-Tramill, J., & Steinbrecher, T. (2014). Patterns of licensure for special education teachers. Sindelar, P. T., McCray, E. D., Brownell, M. T., & Lignugaris/Kraft, B. (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Special Education Teacher Preparation. (pp. 30). Routledge.
- Graham, S., Harris, K. R., & Mckeown, D. (2014). The writing of students with learning disabilities, meta-analysis of self-regulated strategy development writing intervention studies, and future directions: Redux.. Swanson, H. L., Harris, K. R., & Graham, S. (Eds.), Handbook of Learning Disabilities, Second Edition. (pp. 405-438). Guilford Publications.