- Faculty Affiliate, Energy Institute
- Professor, Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering
- Co-Director, Institute for Engineering Education and Innovation
My research focuses on internal combustion engines, in-cylinder combustion and emission formation processes, fundamental experimental diagnostics and investigations, advanced and novel combustion processes (low temperature combustion, homogenous charge compression ignition, premixed compression ignition), alternative fuels (natural gas, bio-based fuels, hydrogen), aftertreatment systems and their coupling to IC engines (LNT, SCR, DOC, DPF).
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - (Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States) 2005
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - (Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States) 2002
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - (Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States) 1999
- Li, J., Jacobs, T. J., Bera, T., & Parkes, M. A. (2018). Comparison of diesel engine efficiency and combustion characteristics between different bore engines. JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING FOR GAS TURBINES AND POWER-TRANSACTIONS OF THE ASME. 140(10), 102807-102807.
- Paul, D., Nepal, B., Johnson, M. D., & Jacobs, T. J. (2018). Examining validity of general self-efficacy scale for assessing engineering studentsâ€™ self-efficacy. International Journal of Engineering Education. 34(5), 1671-1686.
- Fieseler, K., Jacobs, T. J., & Patterson, M. (2018). Kinematics of an Articulated Connecting Rod and Its Effect on Simulated Compression Pressures and Port Timings. JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING FOR GAS TURBINES AND POWER-TRANSACTIONS OF THE ASME. 140(9), 092803-092803.
- Li, T., Caton, J. A., & Jacobs, T. J. (2017). A Numerical Investigation on the Influence of Engine Coolant Temperature under Low Temperature Combustion in a Diesel Engine. Combustion Science and Technology. 189(11), 1992-2011.
- Penny, M. A., & Jacobs, T. J. (2017). Energy Balance Analysis to Assess Efficiency Improvements with Low Heat Rejection Concepts Applied to Low Temperature Combustion. Combustion Science and Technology. 189(4), 595-622.
- Klett, D. E., Afify, E. M., Srinivasan, K. K., & Jacobs, T. J. (2017). Internal combustion engines. Energy Conversion, Second Edition. (pp. 223-255). CRC Press.
- Jacobs, T. J. (2013). Developments in Internal Combustion Engines. Malhotra, R. (Eds.), Fossil Energy. (pp. 149-219). Springer New York.
- Assanis, D. N., Cole, D. E., Jacobs, T. J., & Patterson, D. J. (2007). INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES. Avallone, E., Baumeister, T., & Sadegh, A. (Eds.), Marks’ Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers. (pp. 9-93-9-127). McGraw Hill Professional, Access Engineering.
- Nepal, B. P., Johnson, M., Jacobs, T. J., & Weichold, M. (2018). First generation engineering student mentoring program: A case study of a large engineering school in the U.S.. 2012 ASEE ANNUAL CONFERENCE. 2018-June,
- Thomassie, R. E., Kirsch, K., Marsh, E. R., & Jacobs, T. J. (2018). High-enrollment mechanical engineering programs meeting the challenge of career advising through a seminar course. 2012 ASEE ANNUAL CONFERENCE. 2018-June,
- Li, J., Bera, T. K., Parkes, M., & Jacobs, T. J. (2017). A Study on the Effects of Cetane Number on the Energy Balance between Differently Sized Engines. SAE Technical Papers. 2017-March(March),
- Fieseler, K., Jacobs, T. J., & Patterson, M. (2017). Kinematics of an articulated connecting rod and its effect on simulated compression pressures and port timings. 2,
- Mashayekh, A., Brown, J., Jacobs, T., Patterson, M., & Etcheverry, J. (2017). Numerical and experimental investigation of cyclic variability of a large bore spark-ignited natural gas engine. 2017-April,
- SAE Engineering Events Outstanding Oral Presentation Award conferred by Society of Automotive Engineers International - (Troy, Michigan, United States) - This award was rewarded 2003, 2005, and 2012. 2012
- McKeathen, Benjamin Jack (2018-05). Diesel Fuel Cetane Number Effects on Engine Efficiency and Emissions. (Master's Thesis)
- Kroeger, Timothy Herbert (2017-12). Reducing the Emissions and Efficiency Penalties of Low Temperature Combustion through Low Heat Rejection Operation. (Master's Thesis)
- Murray, Trevor Dale (2017-08). Control of Fugitive Methane Emissions Through Combustion of Compressor Vent and Engine Crankcase Emissions. (Master's Thesis)
- Mashayekh, Alireza Sadegh (2017-08). Study of Conjugate Heat Transfer of a Spark-Ignited Natural Gas Engine Cylinder. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Li, Tingting (2017-08). A High Efficiency and Clean Combustion Strategy for Compression Ignition Engines: Integration of Low Heat Rejection Concepts with Low Temperature Combustion. (Doctoral Dissertation)