Dr. Noratto's research is focused on the role of bioactive compounds in dairy products/by-products and botanicals with effects for prevention of chronic/inflammatory diseases using in vitro and in vivo models. Emphasis is on molecular mechanisms modulated by non-digestible bioactive compounds, partially through changes in intestinal bacteria.
Research projects look to integrate microbiome, metabolomics, and proteomics analyses to investigate the biological mechanisms influenced by dietary interventions and their correlations with end point biomarkers of obesity-related diseases including diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular diseases. Research is funded by the Western Dairy Center, National Raspberry Council, Northwest Cherry Growers/ Washington State Fruit Commission, and Washington State Department of Agriculture.
- Ph.D. in Food Science and Technology, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2008
- M.S. in Food Technology - Biotechnology, National Agrarian University - (Lima, Peru) 1998
- B.S. in Food Science, National Agrarian University - (Lima, Peru) 1988
- Lage, N. N., Layosa, M., Arbizu, S., Chew, B. P., Pedrosa, M. L., Mertens-Talcott, S., Talcott, S., & Noratto, G. D. (2020). Dark sweet cherry (Prunus avium) phenolics enriched in anthocyanins exhibit enhanced activity against the most aggressive breast cancer subtypes without toxicity to normal breast cells. Journal of Functional Foods. 64, 103710-103710.
- Garcia-Mazcorro, J. F., Pedreschi, R., Yuan, J., Kawas, J. R., Chew, B., Dowd, S. E., & Noratto, G. (2019). Apple consumption is associated with a distinctive microbiota, proteomics and metabolomics profile in the gut of Dawley Sprague rats fed a high-fat diet.. PLoS ONE. 14(3), e0212586-e0212586.
- Noratto, G. D., Murphy, K., & Chew, B. P. (2019). Quinoa intake reduces plasma and liver cholesterol, lessens obesity-associated inflammation, and helps to prevent hepatic steatosis in obese db/db mouse. FOOD CHEMISTRY. 287, 107-114.
- Garcia-Mazcorro, J. F., Mills, D. A., Murphy, K., & Noratto, G. (2018). Effect of barley supplementation on the fecal microbiota, caecal biochemistry, and key biomarkers of obesity and inflammation in obese db/db mice.. Eur J Nutr. 57(7), 2513-2528.
- Garcia-Mazcorro, J. F., Noratto, G., & Remes-Troche, J. M. (2018). The Effect of Gluten-Free Diet on Health and the Gut Microbiota Cannot Be Extrapolated from One Population to Others.. NUTRIENTS. 10(10), 1421-1421.
- Angel-Morales, G., Noratto, G., & Mertens-Talcott, S. (2012). Red wine polyphenolics reduce the expression of inflammation markers in human colon-derived CCD-18Co myofibroblast cells: Potential role of microRNA-126. FOOD & FUNCTION. 3(7), 745-752.
- Noratto, G. D., Simbo, S., Martino, H. S., Byrne, D., & Mertens-Talcott, S. (2012). Plum polyphenolics prevent adipogenesis, inflammation and obesity-induced metabolic disorders in obese Zucker rats. The FASEB Journal. 26,
- Noratto, G. D., Chirinos, R., Campos, D., Larondelle, Y., Arbizu, S., Dos Santos, M. M., & Mertens-Talcott, S. (2012). Sacha inchi (Plukenetia volubillis L.) oil as novel source of dietary fat to prevent inflammation and cardiovascular disease risk. The FASEB Journal. 26,
- Noratto, G. D., Simbo, S. Y., Safe, S., & Mertens-Talcott, S. U. (2011). Reduced expression of pro-invasive genes in xenographs of MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells by Betulinic Acid is mediated by down-regulation of microRNA27a. The FASEB Journal. 25,
- Noratto, G. D., Kim, Y., Talcott, S. T., & Mertens-Talcott, S. U. (2009). Caffeine free polyphenolic extracts from Yaupon holly (Ilex vomitoria) have chemopreventive potential and reduce the expression of inflammatory genes in non-cancer human myofibroblast (CCD-18) cells. The FASEB Journal. 23,