Research is focused on the role of bioactive compounds in dairy products/by-products and botanicals with effects for prevention of chronic/inflammatory diseases using in vitro and in vivo models. Emphasis is on molecular mechanisms modulated by non-digestible bioactive compounds, partially through changes in intestinal bacteria.
Research projects look to integrate microbiome, metabolomics, and proteomics analyses to investigate the biological mechanisms influenced by dietary interventions and their correlations with end point biomarkers of obesity-related diseases including diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular diseases. Research is funded by the Western Dairy Center, National Raspberry Council, Northwest Cherry Growers/ Washington State Fruit Commission, and Washington State Department of Agriculture.
- Ph.D. in Food Science and Technology, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2008
- M.S. in Food Technology - Biotechnology, National Agrarian University - (Lima, Peru) 1998
- B.S. in Food Science, National Agrarian University - (Lima, Peru) 1988
- Lage, N. N., de Freitas Carvalho, M. M., Guerra, J., Lopes, J., Pereira, R. R., Rabelo, A., ... Pedrosa, M. L. (2021). Jaboticaba (Myrciaria cauliflora) Peel Supplementation Prevents Hepatic Steatosis Through Hypolipidemic Effects and Cholesterol Metabolism Modulation in Diet-Induced NAFLD Rat Model. Journal of Medicinal Food.
- Layosa, M., Lage, N. N., Chew, B. P., Atienza, L., Mertens-Talcott, S., Talcott, S., & Noratto, G. D. (2020). Dark Sweet Cherry (Prunus avium) Phenolics Enriched in Anthocyanins Induced Apoptosis in MDA-MB-453 Breast Cancer Cells through MAPK-Dependent Signaling and Reduced Invasion via Akt and PLCγ-1 Downregulation. Nutrition and Cancer. 1-13.
- Yin, C., Noratto, G. D., Fan, X., Chen, Z., Yao, F., Shi, D., & Gao, H. (2020). The Impact of Mushroom Polysaccharides on Gut Microbiota and Its Beneficial Effects to Host: A Review. Carbohydrate Polymers. 250, 116942-116942.
- Arbizu, S., Chew, B., Mertens-Talcott, S. U., & Noratto, G. (2020). Commercial whey products promote intestinal barrier function with glycomacropeptide enhanced activity in downregulating bacterial endotoxin lipopolysaccharides (LPS)-induced inflammation in vitro. Food & Function. 11(7), 5842-5852.
- Noratto, G., Layosa, M. A., Lage, N. N., Atienza, L., Ivanov, I., Mertens-Talcott, S. U., & Chew, B. P. (2020). Antitumor potential of dark sweet cherry sweet (Prunus avium) phenolics in suppressing xenograft tumor growth of MDA-MB-453 breast cancer cells. The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. 84, 108437-108437.
- Pacheco, L., Walzem, R., Noratto, G., & Mertens-Talcott, S. (2008). Health Benefits of Phytochemicals for Older Adults. Handbook of Nutrition in the Aged, Fourth Edition. (pp. 229-247). CRC Press.
- Noratto, G., Garcia-Mazcorro, J., Chew, B. P., & Mertens-Talcott, S. U. (2017). Dietary Supplementation with Raspberry Whole Fruit Modifies the Relative Abundance of Fecal Microbial Communities in Obese Diabetic (db/db) Mice. FASEB J. 31,
- Noratto, G., Chew, B. P., & Mertens-Talcott, S. U. (2017). Red Sweet Cherry Ameliorates Inflammation in Obese Diabetic (db/db) Mice. FASEB J. 31,
- Noratto, G., Chew, B., & Mencia, A. (2016). Effects of Raspberry Dietary Supplementation on Risk Biomarkers of Diabetes Related Complications and Heart Disease in Diabetic Mice. FASEB J. 30,
- Noratto, G., Garcia-Mazcorro, J., & Mills, D. (2016). Effects of quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa) consumption on fecal microbiome of obese diabetic (db/db) mice. FASEB J. 30,
- Angel-Morales, G., Noratto, G., & Mertens-Talcott, S. (2012). Red wine polyphenolics reduce the expression of inflammation markers in human colon-derived CCD-18Co myofibroblast cells: Potential role of microRNA-126. Food & Function. 3(7), 745-752.