My research focuses on occupational health psychology, emphasizing the role of organizational climate as a cause of stressful workplace experiences and their effect on organizational and individual well-being; mistreatment of workers who are marginalized, less powerful, and/or underrepresented in organizations; the underrepresentation of marginalized workers in the IO psychology literature; organizational commitment and its development; measurement of workplace-critical psychological constructs.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign - (Urbana, Illinois, United States) 2001
- M.A. in Organizational Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign - (Urbana, Illinois, United States) 1999
- B.S. in Psychology, University of Oklahoma - (Norman, Oklahoma, United States) 1996
- Hernandez, T. R., Bergman, M. E., & Liu, S. (2020). Why is training the only answer?. Industrial and Organizational Psychology. 13(2), 147-153.
- Liu, S., Bergman, M. E., & Hernandez, T. R. (2020). Recommendation: Add a competency on diversity and inclusion. Industrial and Organizational Psychology. 13(1), 84-89.
- Bergman, M. E. (2019). Civility, anti-racism, and inclusion. Industrial and Organizational Psychology. 12(4), 412-418.
- Bergman, M. E. (2019). Ending harassment is about changing power structures more than providing training. Industrial and Organizational Psychology. 12(1), 42-47.
- Bergman, M. E., & Payne, S. C. (2018). Interdisciplinary collaborations facilitate safety climate research. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. 56, 204-208.
- Payne, S. C., Bergman, M. E., Keiser, N. L., & Xu, X. (2017). Safety climate of small-to-medium enterprises. Safety Management in Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs). (pp. 93-120). CRC Press.
- Bergman, M. E., Benzer, J. K., & Henning, J. B. (2012). The role of individual differences as contributors to the development of commitment. Commitment in Organizations: Accumulated Wisdom and New Directions. (pp. 217-252).
- Liu, S., Lang, C. K., Merrill, B. A., Leos, A., Harlan, K. N., Sandoval, C. L., Bergman, M. E., & Froyd, J. E. (2018). Developing Emergent Codes for the Classroom Observation Protocol for Undergraduate STEM (COPUS). 2016 IEEE FRONTIERS IN EDUCATION CONFERENCE (FIE). 00, 1-4.
- Payne, S. C., Rodriguez, J. M., & Bergman, M. E. (2009). The BP baker report: Assessing its impact on process safety culture. 74-85.
- Payne, S. C., Rodriguez, J. M., & Bergman, M. E. (2008). The impact of the BP baker report and process safety survey.
- Payne, S. C., Bergman, M. E., Henning, J. B., & Stufft, C. J. (2007). Safety climate from the safety experts: In their own words.
- Payne, S. C., Bergman, M. E., Henning, J. B., & Stufft, C. J. (2007). Safety climate from the safety experts: In their own words. 15-26.
- Jenkins, Elizabeth Diane (2020-05). Takin' It To The Streets: An Examination Of Street Harassment's Impact On Women's Workplace Outcomes. (Master's Thesis)
- Gaskins, Vanessa Amber Jean (2018-12). The Caregiving Less Studied: Understanding the Work-Family Conflict of Employees with Eldercare Responsibilities. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- January, Samantha Chalupa (2018-05). Is All Incivility Created Equal? Exploring A Multifoci Approach To Studying Workplace Incivility Through The Lens of Power and Social Hierarchy. (Master's Thesis)
- Barratt, Clare Louise (2015-08). Do Creative Employees Engage in More Citizenship and Counterproductive Work Behaviors?. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Rasmussen, Jennifer (2015-08). Implicit Measurement of Extraversion and Agreeableness Using Conditional Reasoning Tests: The Impact of Faking. (Doctoral Dissertation)